Magazine cleaning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Went to the range yesterday, shot a crap load of ammo and my Para ran flawless, my question is, I clean the gun after every shooting session, should I do the same for the Mags, Ive got 3 and I used them all multiple times. Im not lazy, I enjoy cleaning almost as much as I do shooting, but the...Magazines????

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    not as often as the pistol, but yeah. i've taken a few apart that i've gotten in trades to clean them and even touched up the bluing and lubed it a little while it was apart. sure doesn't hurt especially if you don't shoot the bestest newest ammo all the time.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Really depends on where the mags are stacked at the range. If it is a clean area then I disassemble after about 1000 rds (out of the mag) and brush, inspect and load 'em up again. If they have been dropped or used for matches that is an entirely different area.
    Then again, I don't abuse my handguns by cleaning them after every range use.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Lube inside mags will tend to hold dirt and other gunk in. I take mine apart every once in a while and clean them, and reassemble them dry.

a little graphite OK?

I really only wiped them down (inside the tube and out) with an oily rag after touching them up to keep the rust monster away. I had a couple that had been abused and the floorplate was rusted to the tube.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Matches and range sessions are one thing to worry about, but your life is another. If you carry a semi-auto, definitely clean it and the magazines regularly. I carry a Ket-Tec PF9 in a pocket holster pretty much everywhere I go, and I constantly have to clean out the ghost turds that accumulate within the mag well at the top of the spring and those that work in through the count holes of the magazine. When unloading a spare mag once an accumulation of dust and grit that had balled up in the magazine got fouled up beneath the top round by the case rim, preventing it from sliding forward across the next round down. This could have been an ugly problem If I'd needed that reload under fire. If it sits in a safe and just goes to the range, not that big of a deal. If you carry it or put it in your nightstand for defense, clean the gun, and mags, frequently.

Top Bottom