Let's talk shotshells!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Alright, first and foremost, I like to think that I know a good bit about ammo. I handload, I cast bullets, I can pretty much tell you relative muzzle energies of handgun cartridges from memory.

However, I don't know too much about shotshells. I don't shoot shotguns but maybe once a year. I have two 12-gauge shotguns now, as I just picked up an 870 and put an 18" barrel with rifle sights and fixed IC on it..

I have a ammo can full of 100 rds of Fiocchi 00BK. This stuff is supposedly nickel plated or something. I bought it at the gun show because it was the cheapest bulk 12 ga self-defense ammo.

What does everyone think of these, or the differences in 00bk loads in general? I mean really, how different can they be aside from velocity?

Everyone's favorite HD shotshell? I had about 40 rounds of 4BK at one point as my defense stuff, still have about 25. My theory at the time was that it was the same as being hit with 27 .22LR rounds or something and that it would be less likely to penetrate walls and such. I have sense switched to 00BK because I heard it is generally considered best and because of the aforementioned 100-rd can I got at the gun show.

Theories? What size buckshot is best in everyone's opinion? Does it really matter?

I knew a guy who kept slugs loaded for HD, but I thought this was kind of retarded and defeated the purpose of a shotgun. Of course, my theory on shotguns for HD is based on the multiple-wounds, total absorbtion of energy on target, and intentionally diminished penetration. Plus no one disputes that buckshot ends people peerlessly.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I knew a guy who kept slugs loaded for HD, but I thought this was kind of retarded and defeated the purpose of a shotgun. [/I]

At 10 yards and below, most shotgun patterns are fairly tight. At close quarters the pattern won't be a huge, room clearing size like the movies would leave you to believe.

That being said I keep 2 3/4" OO loaded in mine.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot42.htm

00 Buck at 10 yards give a 10" grouping. Most in home shootings would occur closer than this. Someone with more experience can correct me if I am wrong, but I would think most shootings in a HD situation are 7 yards or below. On that test, at 7 yards you had about a 9 inch spread. Sure, that is plenty enough to fawk someone up, but a 350-400 gr 12 gauge slug will do the trick as well. Overpenetration is definitely something to consider before throwing slugs in your HD shottie.

Last edited:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Now, I'd like to clarify my theory on shotguns.

I'm not saying shot is superior to slugs due to "spread." I know spread isn't what the movies want you to think, clearing a whole room wall in a blunderbuss sort of way. In fact, that's why I got rifle sights on my short barrel and an improved cylinder choke, because I want to aim a fairly tight pattern that can land all the shot in the vitals. I personally think shot is superior to slugs for home defense for a few reasons. Firstly, multiple wounds. When those 9 pellets hit, even if the pattern is only 3 inches across, that is still 9 different holes across a 3" circle. Chances of a hit to something important are greatly increased over a single projectile. Secondly, the much lower penetration of the shot over a slug is important to me. I have two roommates, and a slug would go clean through someone and probably clean through the rest of the house. The shot is much less likely to over-penetrate and cause collateral damage. In addition, this provides the maximum energy deposit on target, where theoretically that elusive concept of "stopping power" comes into play.

I know that one should not choose shot over slugs for spray. I fully intend for the shot pattern to be kept tight. Ruinously tight. I wouldn't want the pattern to be wider than a man's torso at 25 yds. A good 6-8 inch pattern, in my opinion, would be rather ideal, as the shot, if placed dead center, would conceivably damage both lungs, heart, and all the other good bits. If you have a lot of "spread" it is probably detrimental to your purpose. Who wants only part of the payload to hit on target?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    What's wrong with, say, #4 or #6 shot or so for home defense close in ranges. Wonder what the lady in Ok. that shot the burglar with her 16 gauge used, has anyone heard?

Top Bottom