Transfer to a FFL...Get Taxed????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Hey guys..I have a quick question. If I purchase a handgun from out of state and have it transferred to a FFL in Louisiana, Will my FFL charge me tax on purchase price of the out of state handgun price?? or do they just charge you tax on their FFL transfer fees?? Thanks

GWB

dumb? you better be tough
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    I seen last week on TV you will have to start paying tax on any thing you buy over the internet

Tax, Tax , and some more tax. soon you will give your whole check to the government, and they will send you cheese, grape juice, and your government insurance card.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Cheese

Tax, Tax , and some more tax. soon you will give your whole check to the government, and they will send you cheese, grape juice, and your government insurance card.

WELL I must say I do like the cheese they give me, not often enough though and the grape juice, well is a little to tangy for me but the evaporated milk makes great iced capacchino drinks!;)

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Ask the seller not to put an invoice with price in the box. Have them mail that straight to you if you've never dealt with the ffl before. I have heard of an ffl trying to do that (charge tax) before, though never seen it personally.

Woods

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    WELL I must say I do like the cheese they give me, not often enough though and the grape juice, well is a little to tangy for me but the evaporated milk makes great iced capacchino drinks!;)

Better give me red drink and hot wings... I'll mail grape juice and cheese back to them.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This topic seems to have some interest, so I thought I would weigh-in with the law. This is copied from the sales tax manual published by the LA Dept of Revenue.

Exclusions
    Certain types of transactions have been excluded from the definitions in R.S. 47:301 making the tax inapplicable to them.
    (1) The isolated or occasional sale of tangible personal property (other than motor vehicles subject to license and title) by a person not engaged in such business. [R.S. 47:301(1),
    47:301(10)(c), and 47:303(B)(4)]

This law excludes occasional sales from the definition of "sale at retail." The sales tax is applied to "sales at retail." Therefore occasional sales are not a sales taxable event. A firearm transaction between two individuals not in the gun business is a non-event for sales tax purposes. If an FFL attempts to collect tax when he is only facilitating the ownership transfer, he is mistaken. The only time an FFL would collect sales tax is if he purchased the item and resold it to you. But that would not be a "transfer," it would be a "sale at retail."

For the record, this is not tax or legal advice. Consult your personal advisor as necessary.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom