30 round mag springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm about to buy some 30 round mags for my M4 and there is an option for either a carbon steel or a stainless steel magazine spring. Does anyone know what the advantages/drawbacks are for each or is it not really a big deal?
    Thanks
    -Scott

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    IIRC Carbon Steel springs takes a set once, and responds better to leaving your mags loaded over time, and they don't wear out as quick. The downside is carbon steel will corrode faster than SS and you will have to break your magazine down periodically to wipe the springs down.

Stainless Steel springs can remain loaded for a long period of time too, but in theory, they weaken with each use faster than carbon steel magazine springs do. The positive side is that SS mags will take a lot longer to corrode.

I have both types of springs in my magazines, and truth be told, I can't tell a difference. My magazines with an 04 stamp still perform just as well as my newer magazines do. Maybe it is because I don't shoot as much with the high price of ammo and no time off from work. In fact, break time over, back to work for me (lol).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom