300blk suppression, pistol vs rifle can

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Question for the suppressor nerds in here about 300blk suppression and can options, could use some insight.

I'm interested in chasing movie-quiet 300blk subs. I've currently got a 10.3" BA Hanson upper and am not opposed to bolt action down the line somewhere. My two current can options right now are both pistol cans -- I've got an Obsidian9 and Octane45 both in jail, both of which will work with 300 subs. Realistically it'll be the Octane45 that lives on the 300blk build. I do plan on handloading my ammo eventually, if that matters.

My question is this: Obviously a dedicated .30 cal can would be a better option than a .45 cal (or 9mm) pistol can, but how much better would it be? Talk to me in simple dumdum terms if you can... Are we talking a couple db that's nice but not revolutionary, or are we talking about a life-changing difference in sound signature with wow factor?

Here's why I ask: I don't really shoot rifles much, so a .30 cal can would be a fairly significant investment basically just for the 300blk. So I'm wondering if it's really genuinely worth the big spend for a new can, or if the ones I have will be "good enough"

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I don’t know anything about those suppressors or pistol suppressors in general, but do they not have interchangeable end caps?

Also the perceived sound from the shooters pov is dramatically lowered by a JP silent capture spring system over a traditional buffer and spring.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Also the perceived sound from the shooters pov is dramatically lowered by a JP silent capture spring system over a traditional buffer and spring.
    Already running JP and Armaspec buffers. Fantastic products in my fuddy opinion, purists be damned lol. I wish Dave_M was still here to yell at me for this plebe comment.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    This is CCI standard velocity, under 1200fps. All you hear is the bolt.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    My short response is a 30 cal rifle can will sound better but if you will never shoot supers or suppress another rifle it’s probably not worth the expense for what you will gain

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I think it has a lot to do with volume of the internals.
    Look at the specs on that octane 45 can and the hybrid 46. They both have the same size hole up the middle but the octane shows 133.5 db with subsonic blackout and the Hybrid 46 shows 123.7db with sub 300 blackout.
    Difference in specs of the 2 cans is diameter.
    Hybrid 46 has more volume.

But, flip side. I have a few .22 cans.
    The .22 mask has some voodoo to it. It’s the same size of my others but does not have a first round pop with standard velocity 40g 1080fps ammo as my others do.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    well said mickey, i have a couple hybrids and a omega 30... my hybrids are noticeably quieter with subs form ,.308,.300aac vs the omega30.... i think its because of the volume also... I do enjoy the versatility of the hybrid to shoot subsonics in my rifles, pcc's or pistols in 45/70,.444,.45acp,9mm,.44mag, .38spc ect and of course supers in all the same calibers and more...

I primarily use my omega30 for my range drills and Home defense gun either set up both in 5.56 a 11.5" mcx or 11.5" bcm or my 6.7" mcx .300bo, depending on my mood lol

Top Bottom