300BO Upper recommendation for hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Looking to get a new AR upper for hug hunting, My idea is to make it as lightweight and compact as possible because I use tree stands and its hard to lug a heavy thing up especially when you add in optics etc, my ak is ok but not ideal. I want to get a 300BO upper and make it as small as possible and get a can for it to shoot subs so I don't have to wear ear pro and can still hear stuff, and maybe get follow up shots for more hogs, etc. I think a 6" or 7" barreled upper would be ideal size, with a suppressor on it. My question is, will this barrel length and ~200gr subs be enough to take out a hog cleanly at 40 yards? I've never hunted with this caliber before, and I'm looking at the ballistics on it, and theres not a lot of data with barrels that short, does anyone have experience with this? Seems like I should be getting roughly 45ACP ballistics, which you would think would be sufficient with a good shot, but thats out of a 10" barrel according to the chart. Can anyone answer first hand if a 6" or 7" would produce enough velocity for hunting hogs with subs?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I don't have experience with ranges of 40 yards, but I have a 10.5" that I use in Texas and thought the subs were underpowered. However, typical shots would be at 75-100 yards and not 40 yards. Switched to supers with suppressor and that puts them down better. Barnes Vortex Black Tips work well if you don't reload. I shoot them around the ear and would think shooting behind the front shoulder or off gut shots they will run a good ways with subs.

That is just my experience, but what you are saying makes sense and may do well at 40 yards. Of course, when I'm hunting with 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, or .308 they all knock them out instantly.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Shortest I would suggest is 8.5-9.0 inches for 300BO. I’ve got a 9in and also 10.5in uppers and both are compact. The 10.5in upper gives me a “little” bit more velocity on Supers, but no advantage on Subs as regardless of barrel length, I set up my loads on subs to run in the 1000-1050 range

An expanding 200-220g subsonic projectile at 40yds placed at the ear hole will do the job. However, if I were hunting hogs, and did not have to be ultra quiet, I’d be using 110gr-125gr Supersonic ammo all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Shortest I would suggest is 8.5-9.0 inches for 300BO. I’ve got a 9in and also 10.5in uppers and both are compact. The 10.5in upper gives me a “little” bit more velocity on Supers, but no advantage on Subs as regardless of barrel length, I set up my loads on subs to run in the 1000-1050 range

An expanding 200-220g subsonic projectile at 40yds placed at the ear hole will do the job. However, if I were hunting hogs, and did not have to be ultra quiet, I’d be using 110gr-125gr Supersonic ammo all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have to be quiet, I just think it will be better for hunting so the pigs don't all scatter away from me when I shoot and it wont hurt my ears as much, but I guess Ive been meaning to invest in some electronic ear pro anyway.

efabre

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 30, 2021
    St.Charles
    I’ve gotten a couple hogs on a 7.5inch barrel supressed with supers. Put them down just fine. Never felt the need to spend twice the price per round for subs.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    This is my 10 in 300 BO. I have killed several deer up to 100 yds.
    Resized_20181118_164948_59083230999684_1202412454679179.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom