M&P .45 -- Serial Question, General Comments

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I snagged one of these in November and I really, really love it. Full size, no frills version, and it shoots like a champ.

I've been putting it through weekly paces at the range and realized I needed as much work as I could possibly get. Needless to say, dry firing drills are much more affordable. Having read a lot of stories about broken strikers even with the use of Snap Caps (in one instance, anyway), I am still a bit hesitant. Later models all have sturdier strikers installed and from the pictures I found, mine is the Cast Stainless variant, not the black MiM that was giving problems.

In my search, I found that the pistols with later Serial Numbers (MPNxxxx and onward) were fitted with the beefed up strikers, so I decided to check mine out. Needless to say, I was surprised to find my Serial Number was unlike any of those mentioned, or even those I find listed for sale. Aside from California models, they all seem to be MPxxxxx. However, mine is DSTxxxx.

I plan on calling S&W and getting the scoop (I have a gripe about a 14 round mag that doesn't engage the slide stop due to a follower not popping all the way up), but I wondered if anyone else had some insight?

For that matter, I was wondering if anyone else had comments on the pistol at all. I am toying with the notion of getting a new trigger assembly (forgot the Manufacturer) that reduces the pull weight and slack, but having been a Glock-nut previously, I don't mind the action at all.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I absolutely love mine. Mine is S/N MPSxxxxx so I really curious as to what version you have. I agree with the slack on the trigger. For competition I'd rather use a DA but for everyday use it's a great gun with solid feel. I've dry fired mine a few times but need to look more into getting a new striker for safetys sake. Do you have the full size? That's what I have.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have a full size .45, it was one of the first ones out. I took it apart to clean before firing it and it had a cracked sleeve on th striker. I called S&W and they sent a new one but I couldn't use the gun for a week. After I put the striker sleeve in, I did a trigger job like my other M&P's and its been fine ever since. This guns eats anything I put in it without a hiccup even semi-wadcutters, my XD wouldn't feed SWC's. The M&P is one of the softests shooting polymer 45's I ever owned. I sold the XD's and bought another M&P Pro in 9mm. I did the trigger per the video off Dan Burrell's website and MP-Pistol.com.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    When I decided to make this purchase, it was a toss up between the XD and the M&P, although I knew I wanted a .45 with a full sized frame. I went into a shop and handled them both and knew right away that the M&P would be my choice, although I convinced myself to debate it for a few more days and read some online opinion/review.

The fit and finish of the M&P really sold me. It pointed well and felt very natural in my hand-- I had a high, tight grip without any discomfort and my hand found the same position every time. I was not able to test fire either weapon before purchase, but have since compared them to one another in the same range session and find myself very happy with my choice.

I'm excited for the trigger work, as I've heard nothing but good things. My Glock 22 had a 3.5 pull adjustment, but the slack was still there. I've always liked the crisp feel of a 1911 trigger, but I'm more familiar with a DAO striker style. This should be a nice intermediate and I'm pretty stoked to give it a try.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Well, got in touch with S&W today in regards to the serial number.

Basically, they didn't have much info for me-- said the pistol left their shop in May of 2009, then gave me the part number for it although I doubt that will be much use in finding anything else new about it.

Nothing too exciting thus far, I'm sad to say. Other than shooting it, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom