n00b

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I like to consider myself a gun nut. I'm certainly an enthusiast, but from time to time I don't feel like I put my money where my mouth is. I buy guns when I have money, I handload, I cast bullets, but all I do with it is some casual shooting a lot less often than I'd like. I want to make more of myself.

So this is my appeal for assistance. I'm in the Baton Rouge area, and very busy with law school. However, I would like to learn about competing in pistol matches. I want to know where I could go locally to meet some people and observe some competitions to see if this is something I would have the time and interested required to get involved in.

Ideally I would like something casual and laid back, friendly and accessible to people who have never competed before. I get really turned off to these sort of things when I am immediately faced with people that take things way too seriously and are in a hurry to get frustrated with people who don't yet know what is going on.

So is anyone aware of something in the Baton Rouge area, friendly to first timers, where I could go, socialize, and learn about the competition, then decide if it is something I would like to do?

Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    welcome. every where you go from a practice to a match. their are nothing but friendly people. even if you travel out of state for a match. this sport is full of friendly that's why when u start you get hooked in it. the style of shooting some of us do is call IPSC. more info on that at www.uspsa.org. we also have practices on Monday at Prescision on segin from 6-8. on Wednesday we have another practice 6-8 in baker at the baker range. you are welcome to come to either one.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There are 2 places we practice at during the week. First is on Monday night at Precision Range on Cloverland off Segien Ln. and the second is on Wed. night at The Range on Jefferson St. in Baker. Both start ~6:00 pm and last for 2 hours. You will need somewhere close to 150 rounds of ammo for the night. There is a posting at the beginning of this section that lets you know what you'll need to bring as far as equipment. We have several matches held around the souther part of the state all month long. For information on these you will need to look up "lagator.org" and I would say to go check out the video at "uspsa.org" as well. The last site will give you information on rules as well. If you need anything else send me a PM with some contact info and I'll get back with you.

Thanks for the intrest,

Beauxdog:)

Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I was in about the same place as you and I would suggest Nick's in Garyville, Thursday at 6:00pm. I went for the first time last Thursday and loved it. Very laid back, very safe, and very friendly people. I'm going again this Thursday, so let me know if you have any questions from a fellow Noob!
    Jim

mike45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    LaPlace
    Welcome

Just come to any of the matches in the area. Gonzales on the 3rd Sunday is good for USPSA compititions. There is an ICORE match Sat. 1/30 in Thibodeaux.
    Just go to lagator.org and you can see all the clubs in the area that have a match on any weekend.

Duhbob

Burnin'd'candle@bothenz
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Slidell
    Welcome, Leadslugga,
    I'm new at this also. But at this juncture I have shot four USPSA matches and loaded >1000 rounds for practice and for competition. You gotta try it.
    Zero.40 is right about the friendly welcome you get at the local matches,and the adrenaline and the learning-curve are addicting. Like any skill sport you come in thinking it looks easy. NO! it gets FUN, but it ain't easy.
    You might even want to just go and walk around your "first" as a spectator. Bring "eyes an' ears" of course. The guys at the ranges near you will know about dates and times, and the calendar here up-top lists most matches too.:hi5::hi5:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Thanks for the input. I think I may go check out the USPSA match in Gonzales next month. It is only about 15 minutes from my girlfriend's house. My SIG 226 9mm is currently busted a little, so until I get it fixed I don't know if I actually have a suitable weapon.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Question:

While I don't have any gun specifically geared toward competition, I do have two that might fit the bill, a Sig 226 in 9mm and a Smith 686 (.38/.357) with a 6" barrel. The Sig has aftermarket adjustable sights and the Smith is factory except for reduced power springs.

Does anyone know if either of these are acceptable at the East Ascension Parish club?

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    Question:

While I don't have any gun specifically geared toward competition, I do have two that might fit the bill, a Sig 226 in 9mm and a Smith 686 (.38/.357) with a 6" barrel. The Sig has aftermarket adjustable sights and the Smith is factory except for reduced power springs.

Does anyone know if either of these are acceptable at the East Ascension Parish club?

Either of these will work. The 9mm will put in production and the S&W will put you, obviously, in revolver...you'll need a min of 4 mags for the 9mm.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have 9 or 10 mags for the 9mm. Only one speed loader for the 686 though. Don't have any mag pouches worth a damn for my belt, though. The first time I go I am just going to observe, and if it looks like something I want to do I will get the rest of the gear I need.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Oh, of course I will bring my guns, I just won't have the appropriate gear to actually enter the match. If there is any casual shooting going on I definitely wouldn't object!

My 9mm needs to see a gunsmith, though. The takedown lever is broken.

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Leadslugga, we should meet sometime. I'm busy working on my masters in petroleum engineering, but I've been looking for some friendly venues to spend my spare time as well. I tried Precision, and it was fine, but I'm used to being outdoors and miss that. I think a good outdoor competition is what I'm looking for.

If you decide to try a 3 gun match, definitely let me know. I brought a couple extra toys back with me this semester. :)

Top Bottom