Powder Measures

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    Is there a powder measure out there that you do not need to use cubic centimeter conversions with? In other words, with a LEE Perfect Powder Measure, I have to do a mathematical formula to figure out the charge in grains. I HATE THIS.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a measure that does NOT use this system that they would recommend.....

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You should check your measure with a scale. The Lee chart is an estimate as powder density will change from lot to lot.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Throw the instruction booklet away and like scooterj said use a scale. My RCBS doesn't have any numbers or markings on it at all. I just screw in or out until I think I'm close then weigh a charge. Make adjustments and weigh again. Until you get it where you want it. I tried a Lee powder measure but found it was too inconsistent. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say it was too tempermental. If you don't pull the handle exactly the same every time your charges will be all over the scale. My rcbs will be within .1 grain no matter how I pull the handle.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yeah, I also use the RCBS. You'll be best off getting yourself a scale. I don't like the idea of the lee powder measure only allowing certain charges. I like the ability to throw any charge I want.

If you get another powder measure, I would recommend the Lyman. I have the RCBS and a friend of mine has the Lyman. I used both and I liked the lyman better. It has a coarse and fine adjustment knob so it is easier to tune in to the exact charge you want. With the RCBS I have to do a lot of trial and error to get it just right. The RCBS has a simpler mechanism, though.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    On some of the cheaper measures, they work fine, I used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure but always used my antique Lyman scale to get the grain measurements that I need compatible to the adjustment screw, the comparison / conversion chart is not accurate and hard to convert

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Is there a powder measure out there that you do not need to use cubic centimeter conversions with? In other words, with a LEE Perfect Powder Measure, I have to do a mathematical formula to figure out the charge in grains. I HATE THIS.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a measure that does NOT use this system that they would recommend.....

You'll always have to do that conversion. Charge data is given in weight, and a powder measure throws each charge by volume, so since powders have varying density, you'll always have to use the VMD conversion. ...and as others have said; a scale, not a calculator/chart tells you if you've reached the proper charge.

Top Bottom