Minimalist AR Light Mount

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Got this idea from someone on M4C.net. Took a Midwest Industries FSB Mount and did some hacking on it. :D

5m18gscke497s2y56iwe.jpg

hatln1pnk8zczi1l4u24.jpg

The mount ended up being right at 1.5oz and places the light perfectly for me, without taking up any of my precious handguard space. Light is a Fenix TK-11 R2 in a Vltor Scout mount. So far I like it, and have ~200rds with no issues so far.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    nice work speed, I too saw the M4C thread. so whats your address so I can send you the MI mount I have so you can mod it for me :D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Nice job; looks like it will work fine.

But... "precious handguard space"?

You gots ta 'splain that one.... ;)

Perhaps a *slight* over-dramatization. I originally tried several different combinations of rail sections/mounts on the handguard itself, but they all placed the light too far back on the handrail IMO. My hand felt really cramped when gripping, and hand placement to activate the light was akward and uncomfortable at best. Now the light is completely off the handguard. Nothing lost, everything gained. :)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    doesn't Elzetta sell something similar? but it's polymer. i have the FSP light mount, and the rail adapter kit for it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Looks great! Can you link us to the original write-up?

Can't find the link now, I have it saved at home though. Not much more info anyway, but better pics. There's not a whole lot to explain, you basically just take the mount and start hacking at it with a bandsaw/grinder/files/hacksaw/dremel/whatever. :rofl:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Theirs puts the light below the barrel.

It also weighs a hair more. For the same weight I'll take the aluminum setup. Also I can't even imagine how you activate the light when it's mounted below the barrel. Looks like you'd need to adapt an entire goofy new grip.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It looks like a perfect setup if you want to run a Magpul AFG and heaving the ability of heaving a light in a better place to operate it unlike the one he got in the pic . (sorry magpul for copy paste, trying to promote business here LOL)

attachment.php

Last edited:

TangoCharlie145

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Alexandria, LA
    I know this may not be real "high speed", but for me, I am using the RLS mount from Safariland. I took the original light out of it and replaced it with a G2 Nitrolon. It is easy on / off, will go anywhere on the rail, and made out of polymer, it is light.
    I have a Scout light with a Larue mount and I like the RLS better. I have also used the barrel mount from SF and the RLS is a better fit for me.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    Also I can't even imagine how you activate the light when it's mounted below the barrel. Looks like you'd need to adapt an entire goofy new grip.

If you have a front grip you can adjust the light position to when you push on the front sling it activates the light. Thats how mine is setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom