Knife Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Need help guys, decide I need a pocket knife. Problem is I know nothing about theme.
    Need one to cary to cut boxes with and general knife use. Would also like something I could use in a SD use if needed. Want assisted and stay under $50 for my first one, what are some good websites to look at?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Kershaw speed safe line fits your bill. I have a "leek" that I love. Can he bought for around 50$. I know people hate heberts here but I've gotten two there for less than 50$ each.

Also I would recommend a spyderco endura more toward the SD but they are quite a bit more $$. And not assisted opening.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Given your requirements i'd say a Kershaw leek or scallion. Google those. They can be had off of ebay for under $30 if you look hard enough.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Take a look at the Spyderco's. You should be able to find one for around $50. I've had 3 over the years in different sizes and all have held up well.

flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    Spyderco if you can find something in an ATS34 or 154CM. Spend the little extra for that. I have had one for 10 years now. It is not spring assist. Also have a Bench Made Apperition for 2 years now in 154CM, it is spring assist, heavy, and bullet proof. In my opinion spring assist is cool but way over rated. Once tou get used to it you can open either just as fast. Any way spend the extra money for the better steel and you won't be disappointed. Harder to sherpen slower to dull. Thats my two cents.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've broken two Kershaws I just haven't had a chance to send off yet. The assist spring on my scallion died and I broke the tip of my other one. I forget the name but its in the same family as the scallion and leek but bigger. My fiance's leek (pink of course) works as new after about 2 years though.

I got a SOG-Tac Auto for valentine's day 09, it has been carried every day since whihc is a record for me keeping a knife without breaking it. If SOG's non-auto line is as durable, it would be a good choice.

http://sogknives.com/store/ST-02.html that's mine, in half serrated black finish

Edit: while pulling this up, I learned that they now make a SOG-Tac Mini. Dammit, there goes $100

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've gotta quit reading this site, I found that SOG Mini, then found the Microtech UTX-70, I always wanted an out the front and a Microtech... I'll post pics when it gets here

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Kershaw speed safe line fits your bill. I have a "leek" that I love. Can he bought for around 50$. I know people hate heberts here but I've gotten two there for less than 50$ each.

Also I would recommend a spyderco endura more toward the SD but they are quite a bit more $$. And not assisted opening.
    +1 on Kershaw Leek or any Kershaw assisted open knife. I have a few Kershaw knives, and my first was a Leek. It is badass to say the least. Out of the package you can shave hair off your arm, and it keeps its edge nicely. It is a very slim, but sturdy feeling design, that when clipped on the inside of your pocket is not noticable at all to the wearer, and the clip is very strong, so you dont have to worry about it falling out IF you keep it clipped. It also has a blade lock to keep it closed, but lock on or off I have never had mine open up on me accidentally. You can find the black with half serrated blade and the silver with the straight blade at Academy sports for $49.99, and you can find the black with straight blade at walmart for like $49.97 or something. If you want a little bit beefier you can go with the Kershaw Blur which Academy has for $45 if I am not mistaken. It has a bigger wider blade, but has to be opened with the thumbstuds because it does not have the easy open finger lever behind the blade like the leek. Both are extremely sharp, nice quality knives, but the thing that got me interested in Kershaw from the beginning is that I have never heard a single bad thing about their lifetime warranty and their amazing customer service.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Correction to mt above post. Any where I said Blur, I meant Whirlwind. The Blur is also nice but runs about $^5. IKershaw also has several new knives out in the $30-40 range. I plan on picking up a Tone which is a nice looking assisted opening knifewith a tanto blade for I think $30. Also a coworker of mine showed me his Kershaw SpeedBump tonight, and it was quite impressive! It generally runs a good bit over $50, but deals can be found. It has a unique locking mechanism that is built into the thumbstud as opposed to the common liner lock. It is pretty sweet, especially since it is a slightly bigger knife but still has the easy open thing on the back of the blade like the Leek. It will definitely be my next knife purchase.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My Microtech UTX-70 came in yesterday, no pics yet as I'm not at home. I got the double edged blade with one side serrated in two tone. I love this little knife!

BladeHQ.com came through with really quick shipping, ordered Tuesday and it arrived Friday via USPS Priority from Utah.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom