.350 legend for Louisiana deer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    How do you guys feel about .350 legend for Louisiana deer?
    The range I've got to target shoot is only 100yd. I'm planning on hunting tunica hills wma next season.
    Still looking at buying a rifle, the .350 been recommended by a few family members in ohio.
    I haven't been hunting in over a decade (only hunted one year in Louisiana) and shooting in several years. So I'm out of date.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have a CVA Scout stainless 350 Legend. It shoots really well but doesn't like the Winchester 180gr Powerpoint ammo for some reason.
    It likes the Winchester Deer Season 150gr and my reloads using the Hornady 180gr XTP sized down to .356 using Little Gun powder. I haven't tried other ammo for it.
    I haven't shot anything with it yet but it has more power than than a 357 Magnum H&R rifle that I had and was using 360 Dan Wesson reloads with the Hornady 180gr XTP bullets. I believe it has more power than the same rifle reamed out a bit to 357 Maximum. I did shoot a doe with that one and it ran maybe 25yds and piled up after an 80yd shot through the lungs with complete pass through. Other reports I have been reading about have shown that it performs very well on deer and hogs.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    No idea about that caliber but if you’re out of shape better start working out now to get ready to hunt Tunica Hills. Getting a dead deer out of there can be a test of one’s manhood.
    I grew up hunting the hills up in southern Ohio and eastern Washington Olympic mountains. It's very similar terrain, so I'm hoping similar hunting tactics will work.
    And definitely can't go from flatlander to hill humping over night. It's going to be a build up, but I've got all year.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have taken two deer with the 350 Legend and both dropped where they stood. Does a massive amount of Damage with the 180 gr Winchester soft point. I would not use this round past 200 yards thou as it is not a flat shooter.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I grew up hunting the hills up in southern Ohio and eastern Washington Olympic mountains. It's very similar terrain, so I'm hoping similar hunting tactics will work.
    And definitely can't go from flatlander to hill humping over night. It's going to be a build up, but I've got all year.
    I’m sure you know tunica hills is bow only except for primitive firearms season right?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    A 22 short is probably enough to kill 100# La. deer
    Dang Danny, I almost feel under gunned when I hunt in NE Louisiana the deer are so big! Down in SE Texas, we have 80# does and anything seems to put them on the ground. When I kill a deer in NE Louisiana, I always need help loading those corn fed rascals!

I limit myself to 100 yards with my 300BO, 200 to 250 with my .308 and 400 with my 300WSM. I shoot hogs with a .223 or the 300BO if its dark otherwise they get what ever my main rifle is that day! As I age, I keep lowering my effective range as well. Next year it may only stretch to 300 yards!

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Dang Danny, I almost feel under gunned when I hunt in NE Louisiana the deer are so big! Down in SE Texas, we have 80# does and anything seems to put them on the ground. When I kill a deer in NE Louisiana, I always need help loading those corn fed rascals!

I limit myself to 100 yards with my 300BO, 200 to 250 with my .308 and 400 with my 300WSM. I shoot hogs with a .223 or the 300BO if its dark otherwise they get what ever my main rifle is that day! As I age, I keep lowering my effective range as well. Next year it may only stretch to 300 yards!
    400 yards with a 300wsm?! Cutting yourself little shirt huh?! Lol

I’ve killed deer at 223yrds with 300 blackout.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom