Aluminum Firing Pin... Worth it or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was thinking of getting a aluminum firing pin installed on the bolt of my remington 700. I'm sending it to Keith over at AZ Precision to do the bolt knob and coat job, and he suggested that I could do a Aluminum firing pin install while he had it. My thing I was wondering would it be worth it?? I know its suppose to knock out a few ounces and ounces makes pounds but what else does it do? I've read that it reduces lock time?? What might that be? I'm new to the bolt action world. I was just wondering before I sent it off. Thanks Fellas

Eric

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This is what Keith from AZ Precision posted over at Snipers Hide:

Well are we talking just an aluminum firing pin or a complete aluminum assembly.

If you change out f-pins, you want to go to a heavier hitting spring(for aluminum). I think someone said 22lbs but dont quote me on that.

Locktime DOES decrease(lock speed, increases). Meaning when you pull your trigger, the primer flashes about 33% quicker from the time the trigger broke.

Can this break parts like cross pins in some rare cases, yes. Can people experienced with these parts get around their flaws and make them every bit as hardened as steel? I'm workin on it.

When my pin falls on a dry fire or snap cap, you feel almost nothing. When a factory pin falls it feels like a ballpeen is tapping the rear of the bolt.

Its personal preference. I like them. If you dry fired my rifle, youd get a stiffy. No misfires.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Keith is a good guy and I've had him do a couple of bolt knobs for me. I never really was sold on the whole aluminum firing pin set up though, but to each his own. I know it's more expensive, but putting in a good after-market trigger and some extra dry-fire practice time would probably be more of a benefit.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Are you shooting to the limits of your rifle?

IF not..
    Spend the money on ammo.

IF so... go ahead if you think ti will help.

^ That is why I bought a $1,000 1911 instead of a $3,000 1911...

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    everything but the Pin is aluminum. The actual firing pin is steel. Idk I was just asking. I noticed he offered it andI was seeing if it was worth a hoot.

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If the lock time on a Rem700 is about 0.003 seconds, the 33% reduction is only 0.001 second. Personally, I don't think the additional cost would be worth the reduction in lock time and weight. I also doubt aluminum will be as durable as steel, regardless of the grade.

Just my opinion, of course. But I think practicing follow though with snap caps and live ammo would be more fruitful.

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/lock_time.html

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom