good hunting rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    ive been toying around with the idea of picking up a hunting rifle since ive been going with my father-in-law for a few years and using whatever weapon he deems necessary for me.

I remember seeing something about a savage (710x?) or a remington 700.

anyone have any personal opinions on the two? i saw a couple rem700's posted in the pictures thread so i know that one will probably get some reviews.

edit: should I just build an AR and pick up some 5rd mags? :D

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I hunt with a Remington 700 bolt action in a .270. I shoot corelocks, and let me tell you. That gun is on the money everytime, and with the corelocks, the 270 is MORE than enough power to drop a deer without even letting him run. Between the handful of deer shot with this gun, only one of them ran a considerable distance(maybe 30yds), but that was also a damn big doe. So yeah, all in all its a great gun. :D

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    depends, u can find them for anywhere from 300-600 at academy or walmart and places like that. Havent checked the gun store prices. Those where just what i saw online.

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    700 in .30-06 or .308 just for the abundance of surplus ammo for you to use at the range.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    For a hunting rifle, pretty much all you want to do is bring down a deer sized animal. It could be used for other animals but in LA (and the rest of the south) we mostly hunt deer with our rifles. In general, you will hunt by sitting still and watching a patch of grass (here grass could mean rye, wheat, corn, etc.). Most shots will be 200 yards or less. In this scenario, Remington, Savage, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, Milsurp, etc. will accomplish the mission almost equally well. The same can be said for the popular calibers: .243, .270, .308, .30-06, 7mm-08, 7mm mag, .300 mag, etc.

From my experience, people use rifle brands as a status symbol at the club. Guys at Dick Cheney’s club probably use top of the line Weatherby rifles chambered in some obscure Weatherby magnum. Likewise, it is not uncommon to see bubba tromping on public hunting land with his $100 SKS.

As a young man, I chose the Remington 700 because it was the rifle my father & uncles used plus I was in the army and our sniper rifles were based on the 700. I find the basic Remington 700 goes equally well when hunting with the snobs or the bubbas.

IMHO, the M1A you mentioned would make a good hunting rifle. You may receive an occasional comment about how it isn’t appropriate for hunting….**** ‘em, it’s your rifle and you will use it as you see fit. Of course, maybe you should tell them that (especially if he is a game warden). Just grunt and go get your deer.

Don’t forget about the milsurp as a hunting rifle. Several accessories, such as sporter stocks & scope mounts, are available for the more popular surplus rifles (Mausers, Enfields, Mosin/Nagant, etc.) I am in the process of setting up a Swiss K31 to be my hunting rifle.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    i found a synthetic rem. 7400 for 389, its 30-06 with a leupold scope. is that a good price? :o

Yes. Here is some info from the Blue Book of guns:

MODEL 7400
    Grading
    100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $515 $410 $325 $260 $230 $210 $185

And the fact you are getting a good scope with it makes this a very good deal. If you don't buy it, let me know.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Yes. Here is some info from the Blue Book of guns:

MODEL 7400
    Grading
    100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $515 $410 $325 $260 $230 $210 $185

And the fact you are getting a good scope with it makes this a very good deal. If you don't buy it, let me know.

Outstanding. I'm going put it on layaway in a few days.

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    Spanky, don't get a 710, they are basically a disposable rifle, not worth the pricetag. 700 is great if you like bolt guns, the Savage model 10's are one of the most accurate out of the box rifles out there under $1k. I don't have any knowlege on the 7400's so no judgement there.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    get a good quality bolt gun in .308. I've taken a lot of game with this combo and to top it off in a SHTF situation you can even use surplus 7.62 nato for "softer targets"

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm in the market for a good 1st rifle also. I am debating between a Springfield M1A or a bolt action + an AK47. I have narrowed it down to a Tikka T3 and a Remington 700 in .300. I've heard the remington's are ok and Savage is pretty good straight out of the box. But, I'm not a hunter, just a range warrior. I've tried a Sako in .270 once and shot 1" groups @ 100yds. But that one was tricked out and had some expensive glass.

If you decide to get an AK, I suggest you consider the Saiga line. They are Sporter type AKs with a rifle stock on them to get around the import ban, but genuine Russian ak receivers. I own one in 7.62x39, and I am looking for one in .308. I love Saigas!!!! and you cant beat the price, around $270 for an x39, around $260 for a .223 and don't even get me started on their shotguns..............

tthame1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2006
    I have a .300 Weatherby Mag that I'd be willing to sell if you are interested, Mr. Spanky

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If you decide to get an AK, I suggest you consider the Saiga line. They are Sporter type AKs with a rifle stock on them to get around the import ban, but genuine Russian ak receivers. I own one in 7.62x39, and I am looking for one in .308. I love Saigas!!!! and you cant beat the price, around $270 for an x39, around $260 for a .223 and don't even get me started on their shotguns..............

I saw your post in the rifle pic thread, very nice! whatd it take to convert it into a pistol grip model? How much work involved?

jhh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2006
    River Ridge

Hi folks,

I'll second that suggestion for a Saiga - I've had both the Saiga 308 and a Saiga 20 (still have the shotgun) and they're great guns. You can drag them through the mud and they'll still fire. My only complaint is that the action on the rifle is partially open to the elements, whereas the shotgun has a small cover that slides forward to cover any open areas.

I use a 7mm mag and 300 Weatherby mag for deer, both are overkill though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom