glock question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I hear some "musical artists" mention that their glocks are cocked. As I understand the triggers, they're DAO meaning that they **** and drop for each pull. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's dao then its only cocked during the trigger pull, right?

LSUrifle

GeauxShootin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Prairieville, La
    Yes the glock cocks and releases with the pull of the trigger. M&P's on the other hand r "cocked" when u chamber a round and pulling the trigger just "drops the hammar". Idk about other DAO pistols those r the only 2 im familiar with. Im sure there is a better deffinition but to me DAO means the trigger pull is the same everytime and there is no exposed hammar.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What makes you think that rappers know jack about guns? :D

Street cred man. When you are wise to what is going on in the streets you know who knows what. Also 50 cent is a certified glock armorer as well as Leo who enjoys a good book, likes Tattoos, and causing conflict. I got all of this off of his match.com page.

Also isn't a glock technically a "striker fire" pistol? Which is really more single action then double action? I don't know because the firing pin is drawn back by the trigger pull right? So what the hell does it make it then?

Sometimes I feel like Gaston Glock contributed to the writing for LOST. Because I immediately thought about a glocks inner working when I saw the smoke monster. It is simple - like smoke - but does so much more than smoke - like ripping peoples arms off and inhabiting the body of deceased individuals.

Last edited:

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I listen to music for entertainment value primarily. I may occasionally pick up an interesting nugget of info tho. Just making sure I understand the systems.
    My SW99 is striker-fired but its DA/SA. Long first pull that "cocks" and drops the striker. The striker is then back for remaining shots (unless you decok)and the trigger drops it.
    I figure with glocks, the striker doesn't stay back and resets with every shot.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Glocks aren't single action. If you dry fire it, with your finger over the cocking indicator, you will feel the striker move to the rear, just a little.
    Pulling the slide back does c0ck the gun.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    They more or less use the term "Glock" for pretty much any pistol. Especially Hah Pernt's.
    Example: "Ah gots mah Glock up in da Bentley"
    Translation: "I keep my rusty High Point under the front seat of my Chrysler 300 that has been made up to look like a Bentley."

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    As I understand it the Glock is partialy cocked maybe fully cocked if you rack the slide...squeezing the trigger either fully cocks the striker or releases it and fires the weapon. Also if you don't have a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger to ~****~ and/or release the striker, merely pulling the trigger again does not ~****~ the striker to fire or strike the primers...NO second strike capability. You have to rack the slide to reset the striker.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    First off a Glock's striker is cocked 2/3 of the way when the slide cycles, pulling the trigger cocks it the other 1/3 as it is pulled down by the connector and the striker is released. It doesn't have second strike capability, but if you pull the slide back less than a 1/4" it resets the striker. The same can be done with an M&P and an XD even though the have sears which holds the striker fully cocked.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    First off a Glock's striker is cocked 2/3 of the way when the slide cycles, pulling the trigger cocks it the other 1/3 as it is pulled down by the connector and the striker is released. It doesn't have second strike capability, but if you pull the slide back less than a 1/4" it resets the striker. The same can be done with an M&P and an XD even though the have sears which holds the striker fully cocked.

Agreed but what is the official name for this? It isn't single action because of the 1/3 with trigger pull and it isn't double action either because of the necessary 2/3. So what is it?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Agreed but what is the official name for this? It isn't single action because of the 1/3 with trigger pull and it isn't double action either because of the necessary 2/3. So what is it?

Can't say that this is official, but I've heard that the Golck action is called "safe action".

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Can't say that this is official, but I've heard that the Golck action is called "safe action".

I thought it was called Striker Fired Action.

So single action would be only release.

DAO would be **** and release.

Striker Fire would be manually cycling slide draws back the striker to a position in which the trigger can take over and with trigger pull it finishes cocking and finally releases. I believe the S&W99 and the S&W M&P, as well as the SA XD are all sriker fire.

I am not sure about all of this but the name would make sense to me because like SA and DA it is describing the action. Which is a partial striker push back.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I thought it was called Striker Fired Action.

So single action would be only release.

DAO would be **** and release.

Striker Fire would be manually cycling slide draws back the striker to a position in which the trigger can take over and with trigger pull it finishes cocking and finally releases. I believe the S&W99 and the S&W M&P, as well as the SA XD are all sriker fire.

I am not sure about all of this but the name would make sense to me because like SA and DA it is describing the action. Which is a partial striker push back.

the sw99 is striker fired. the firs trigger pull is a long "da" pull which pulls the striker back and releases it. after the slide cycles, the striker is back and the trigger has a short reset with significantly less pull to release the striker.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Striker fired refers to the method of ignition. The glock has a striker, while a 1911 for example has a hammer and a firing pin.

A striker is basically a spring loaded firing pin, which has the spring comressed by some means and has a release device of some sort to allow it to use the sring pressure to force the striker forward and ignite the primer upon impact.

Most hammer fired gun use a firing pin spring to do just the opposite, hold the floating pin away from the primer until the spring loaded force of the hammer contacts the firing pin and overcomes the firing pin spring pressure, drives the firing pin toward the primer and ignites it.

The glock is partially cocked by the slide as it is racked. As the trigger is pulled the 1st stage fully cocks the striker and then the disconnector releases it at the appropriate point during the trigger pull.

I would say it is more like a SAO (single action only) than a DAO, due to the fact the striker is partially cocked during slide cycling.

The partial cocking is done to allow for the drop saftey feature of the glock to function correctly. If you eyeball the trigger bar where it sits inside of the ejector block you notice a slot. That slot will not allow the trigger bar to drop down when the trigger is not pulled, thus the striker cannot be released from its partial **** state if the gun is dropped or jarred. So as you pull the trigger the striker is drawn back, the trigger bar clears the slot, the striker saftey is disengaged (allow in the striker to come forward far enough to ignite the primer) and eventually the disconnector cams the trigger bar down to release the striker. bang.

The disconnector is so called as it allows the trigger bar to raise up and catch the striker as the slide cycles. A ramp shaped protrusion on the slide pushes the disconnector away from the trigger bar as the slide goes backways and the trigger bar springs up to catch the striker as the slide returns to battery.

Pretty simple, elegant in a way and reliable. The better mousetrap in many ways, as long as it fits in your hand like it fits in mine!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom