** POLL** What are your hurricane predictions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many hurricanes in the 2010 season?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The poll will close after 30 days, so get your votes in.

Hurricane season officially started today. We might as well take our own guesses at the amount of hurricanes we will see. This will be a public poll. Total hurricanes.

Across the entire Atlantic Basin for the six-month season, which begins June 1, NOAA is projecting a 70 percent probability of the following ranges:

•14 to 23 Named Storms (top winds of 39 mph or higher), including:
    •8 to 14 Hurricanes (top winds of 74 mph or higher), of which:
    •3 to 7 could be Major Hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of at least 111 mph)

Maybe we can do a drawing out of the winning guesses when the season comes to an end for a prize.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I don't have a clue either, but I went ahead and took a WAG.

Ya see Demon, that is the problem......you took a WAG, you should think like a true maintenance man, refine your thoughts and troubleshooting skills and take a SWAG!
    :mamoru::mamoru:

But yeah, this poll is just about as good as NOAA for damn sure!
    Bearit, is this poll for named storms in the Gulf? All storms that get named? OR only storms that are actually classified as hurricanes?

KT

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2010/06/colorado_hurricane_forecast_wo.html

Forecasters at Colorado State University are predicting an active hurricane season

The researchers said Wednesday that they expect 18 named storms to develop in the Atlantic, including 10 hurricanes. Five are expected to be major, and there's an above-average probability of a major storm -- one with sustained winds of at least 111 mph -- hitting land in the United States or Caribbean.

The forecast has worsened since April, when CSU researchers predicted 15 named storms, including eight hurricanes, because of much warmer tropical Atlantic surface temperatures and cooling Pacific conditions.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm thinking of applying to be a meterologist for WBRZ. Here's my audition:
    "From my analysis I've determined there will be approximately... (reaches into hat and pulls out a piece of paper) 12 hurricanes this year."

Think I'll get the job?

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    My vote is just a guess. Well, I think all the agencies "scientific data" are guesses too. How can anyone predict how many named storms and hurricanes we are going to have over the next 5 months, if they can't REALLY tell me if it is going to rain locally this afternoon? Bunch of hogwash.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How about a Hurricane (the drink)?!
    I don't think that will work since we don't all live near one another, but it was the first thing that came to mind. :)

Top Bottom