Choosing a 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Since I started shooting USPSA matches recently I decided that my next gun (whenever that may happen) will be a 1911. It will be my first 1911. I was never a huge 1911 fan (heresy, I know) since I didn't shoot matches, but now it just seems like the logical thing to do. I want to get a good 1911 for Limited-10 and single stack divisions without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

So in the infinite wisdom of all the 1911 and USPSA guys here, what is a good start-up model (one that has the features I want without being too expensive and can be upgraded later).

I know I want a few things to start with:
    1. Adjustable sights
    2. extended mag well for faster reloads
    3. quality, accuracy, and reliability, of course
    4. .45 ACP caliber

I think that's the only real basic parameters for me at this moment, though if there are any other things I should be considering for a match gun, please let me know.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    STI Spartan, less than $700.00, add magwell and shoot the snot out of it. The trigger can be cleaned up real good without buying any parts.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Sounds like what you are looking for without spending a lot of money is an STI Spartan. In .45 the non ramped barrel is fine, it has adj. sights with fiber optic front. All you would need is a trigger job, some 10 round mags for limited 10, and 8 rounders for single stack. A bladetech or Comp-tac holster, comp-tac mag pouch that holds 4 mags, and a belt. Nic
    k's has 1 for $689

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So I was looking at beveled mag wells on midway. Any advice on a particular brand for this gun, or in general whether or not to get the one attached to the mainspring housing?

Also, advice on extended mag release buttons and what are the best value in 10-rd mags?

If I am going to be able to get this gun it is going to have to be by petitioning my entire family to put together all the money they would ordinarily spend on my gifts for birthday/christmas and buy me the gun. I'm trying to also plan out what the top-priority accessories will be to figure a total price to see if I'm going to have to wait on the accessories for a while.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The S&A mainspring housing/magwell has been the "gold standard" for years. The Dawson Ice 1911 magwell is the new "big dawg"
    Extended mag releases cause too many dropped mags, IMO.
    Chip McCormick/Shooting Star mags have worked great for many years, for me. Others swear by Wilson. Get a couple of each and make your own decision.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The Dawson Ice 1911 magwell is the new "big dawg"
    Extended mag releases cause too many dropped mags, IMO.
    Chip McCormick/Shooting Star mags have worked great for many years, for me.

+1 also keep in mind if you have the need of a Competent Smith you have Lloyd close by to your location, he has done LOTS of work on members 1911's and hes a funny guy to deal with if you go pass him being kinna grouchy 99.99% of the time! :mamoru::mamoru:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I'd personally say the STI Trojan is the best overall deal, the $300 won't matter much as years go by. And they add a magwell and shoot the snot out of it :)

If it were up to me, I would save money and buy something really nice. It isn't a matter of buyer's remorse or time healing the wounds of spending. The problem is I just don't have any money at all. I just finished my first year of law school and I have two more years to go. I'm going to finish with a negative net worth of about $70k. The only way I can get a new gun is if it is through birthday/christmas gifts, because otherwise I could not justify spending money on a gun to my family/girlfriend/myself when I could be putting the money toward bills.

However, if people are going to be spending money on me for gifts, it may as well be on something I really want, so I figure getting a gun with the aggregate of all the gift money is a guilt free way.

I'm probably going to end up with the spartan because I don't think I will be able to add up my gift money to much more than the $700. I'm honestly very excited that a brand like STI offers a budget gun that I can trick out later when I actually get access to income again.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You wont go wrong with the Spartan buddy its backed by STI costumer service, once you finish school and win a few cases you can get a NightHawk Custom.

Be prepared to own many more after your first 1911!

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yeah, once I start making some real money with my law degree, I'll probably own more guns than I know what to do with. My girlfriend doesn't seem to get it, but I'm trying to convince her that there it is not a waste of money for me to institute my own one-gun-a-month policy.

Seriously though, I don't think it is unhealthy to want 3-4 new guns a year....

Maybe one day I will feel like I have all the ones I really "want," but as of right now there are at least 6 guns that I feel a "need" for :D

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If it were up to me, I would save money and buy something really nice. It isn't a matter of buyer's remorse or time healing the wounds of spending. The problem is I just don't have any money at all. I just finished my first year of law school and I have two more years to go. I'm going to finish with a negative net worth of about $70k. The only way I can get a new gun is if it is through birthday/christmas gifts, because otherwise I could not justify spending money on a gun to my family/girlfriend/myself when I could be putting the money toward bills.

However, if people are going to be spending money on me for gifts, it may as well be on something I really want, so I figure getting a gun with the aggregate of all the gift money is a guilt free way.

I'm probably going to end up with the spartan because I don't think I will be able to add up my gift money to much more than the $700. I'm honestly very excited that a brand like STI offers a budget gun that I can trick out later when I actually get access to income again.
    Not a whole bunch you need to do to the Spartan. More narrow front sight, some massaging of the trigger parts, and a magwell will fill the bill.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    This is my Spartan after a Plate-Tacular "Cobalt Armor" job, Brazos front sight, Fusion mainspring housing/magwell, ErgoGrips, and some new trigger parts (cause I wanted all my triggers to feel the same).
    hs9bkol8576vqlwusbyw.jpg

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So I may be able to get this as soon as September. Anyone know a good place to track one down? I saw one on gunbroker for $599. If there is one local for under $650 I'd rather buy it that way, but over $650 after taxes I think I'd rather just pay the transfer fee.

Also, how much did it cost to change the color like that? I like the stainless look better than the blued look.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    So I may be able to get this as soon as September. Anyone know a good place to track one down? I saw one on gunbroker for $599. If there is one local for under $650 I'd rather buy it that way, but over $650 after taxes I think I'd rather just pay the transfer fee.

Also, how much did it cost to change the color like that? I like the stainless look better than the blued look.

$599+ $25 Shipping+30 FFL Fee = $654

$650 at the store +8.5% Sales Tax=$705.25

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Plate Tacular Prices

Semi-Auto Pistols

$195 satin or matte finish

$215 high polish flats or all surfaces

Slide assemblies 50% of chosen finish

Frame assemblies 65% of chosen finish

Pistol Magazines $15 each

Add $15 for open/comp guns

Revolvers

$225 satin finish

$240 high polish

Polymer Finishes

TR Gunkote or Duracoat, all colors

$150 complete gun

$75 frame or slide

Strip Existing Plate - $20

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    $599+ $25 Shipping+30 FFL Fee = $654

$650 at the store +8.5% Sales Tax=$705.25

Yeah I realize that ordering it would still be cheaper than a local one at $650, but I would rather give money to a good local gun seller than over the internet if the price isn't too different.

$200 extra for the finish.....I think I'll just learn to love black.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    $200 extra for the finish.....I think I'll just learn to love black.

While $200 sounds like a lot its really not when you actually understand the process involved in coating a gun, specially if its something that had lots of rust, needs to be stripped, blasted, degreassed, coated, baked, reassembled.

You can do a decent job yourself at the house with a small air compressor and a stove (oven), but for the hastle and headache sometimes its cheaper to let a professional do it, I have coated some of my personal guns but if its something that I expect to show up or be a safe queen I dont mind spending the money, just my .02

You can also just do some accents on the black frame and slide to make it diferent and more apealing, coat the slide release, mag release, trigger (if its not plastic), magwell, hammer, etc etc etc etc

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom