Best Defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Since this is a weekly series, I don't necessarily consider it serious training, so into off topic it goes.

Does anyone watch this show on Wednesday nights on the Outdoor Channel? I would LOVE to sit and listen to Michael Janich for a weekend.

I like the way they take a scenario and run it two or three different times showing different methods and improving on the typical methods. Good, better, best.

After scenario segments, they tend to go out in the field course and display the safety of common household furniture, and how feasible it would be to hide (or shoot through) behind a refrigerator, or bookshelf (hardback and paperback shots), walls, sheetrock, etc.

Third segment is usually a really good physical defense/knifework technique.

What I like most about them is that they enforce non-lethal self defense if you can help it. It's always a good day if you can walk away from a situation without anybody dying. They are quick to say if you need to defend yourself, fine. And they spend quite a bit of time with proper firearm self defense, but it's always paired with a scenario showing if you can talk your way out of a bar fight, an altercation with a person you know and so forth, it's the preferred route. Even the knife techniques come with the final follow up that if you practice with a knife, it allows you to immobilize and escape without lethal force.

It makes for a good evening. Instead of Date Night, we've spent many many Wednesday nights discussing safety and our own personal situational scenarios.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I forgot to mention, the show wraps up discussing conceal carry state rules. Its' always repeated every state is different. Generally this is what you can do, and some CC options but check with your state.

THis week focused on responding and training in confined spaces, chest to chest.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Hell, repost then. I didn't bother to search for it.

Thanks for letting me know Speedlace.

Not sure of the times. I have it set to DVR. Sometimes it records mid-day Wednesday, sometimes Wednesday evenings.

We watch it on Wednesday evenings, either catching last week's episode, or currently airing, or that afternoon's.

Last edited:

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    I'm glad to see ANY personal defense programs on television......they are sort of scarce.

They do a good job explaining and giving a person options, preventions, and likely outcomes. HOWEVER, be careful about accepting everything they say at face value.....it might not happen on the street the same way it happens in the studio.

Very useful show though.

The two hosts sort of have the market cornered on baldness huh, I guess no one will be grabbing their hair in a street fight? :rofl:

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Personal Defense TV with Tom Gresham and Massad Ayoob is also well done. Runs several times during the week, but tomorrow at 9:30p on Sportsman Channel Cox 258. Check both channels at the beginning of each week. There are variations of Best Defense and other Personal Defense as well as Emergency Preparation type shows on both of those channels. Good stuff. Thanks for bringing it up Cat. :thumbsup:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I used to watch it. We also cancelled one of the packages with DirecTV as it became quite expensive for a few extra channels we hardly watched.

Sportsmans Channel has some decent shows but are at at times I am usually doing something other than watching TV.

Top Bottom