Amite River claims another...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Really, who doesn't know how to swim? It isn't that hard. Do you think he was a gentleman of questionable immigration status?

I am starting to wonder whether we will be seeing more drownings involving "gentlemen of questionable immigration status" on the Amite simply because they have no way of knowing it's history. Not a joke, just something to consider....

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    How long before one of his distraught, and misinformed relatives logs on here and chews us all out?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What's special about the Amite river?

In short, a lot of people have died in it. Lots of stumps, stumpholes, dropoffs, strong currents at times....That area around the Magnolia Bridge has seen a lot of drownings over the years.

I don't have any hard numbers to support it, but most would have to agree that locally, more people have drowned in it than any other river.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Really, who doesn't know how to swim? It isn't that hard. Do you think he was a gentleman of questionable immigration status?

When I went to boot camp I was amazed how many guys did not know how to swim. They had to go to a remedial swimming class. And yes they mostly from areas like north Baton Rouge.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    When I went to boot camp I was amazed how many guys did not know how to swim. They had to go to a remedial swimming class. And yes they mostly from areas like north Baton Rouge.

Sadly I believe that. I think that knowing how to swim is probably something that everyone should learn in their life, unless maybe they live in the middle of the Sahara. This is Louisiana, though. Water happens.

Seriously though, trying to cross a river without the ability to swim is like jumping off a cliff without the ability to fly.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Most places in both rivers, have strong currents and deep holes. Unlike the Rio Grande. It can go from knee deep to 20 ft in one step.

kinda like the Atchafalaya, (except it is on a much larger scale) We will be watching the depth-finder and it will go from 10-15 down to over 100ft in under a second at some of the eddys.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Amite aint that bad... All them dumb rednecks ride down it on their fourwheelers. :rolleyes:
    PIC-0036.jpg

05-20-06_1148.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've been thinking maybe they needs signs in spanish saying "this ain't the F%*king Rio Grande"

Top Bottom