Go take a look at the Senate floor amendment to HB1272

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Can we get a laymans explanation of what has happened? And who needs letters of support/complaint?

The entire church carry bill was just staple onto HB1272 (or close to it).

By a Democrat.

Politics: Makes as much sense as **** on a boar hog.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    here it is.
    On page 2, after line 12, insert:
    "N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun
    permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry
    a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship,
    eligible for qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 USC 501, except as
    provided for in Subsection U of this Section.

U.(1) The entity which owns the business or has authority over the
    administration of a church, synagogue, or mosque shall have the authority to
    authorize any person issued a valid concealed handgun permit as authorized by the
    provisions of this Section to carry a concealed handgun in the church, synagogue, or
    mosque.

(2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not be construed to limit or
    prohibit any church, synagogue, or mosque from employing armed security guards
    who are either certified law enforcement officers or who are authorized to carry
    concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Section.

(3) If the church, synagogue, or mosque authorizes the carrying of concealed
    handguns as authorized by the provisions of this Subsection, the pastor, priest,
    minister, or other authority of the church, synagogue, or mosque shall inform the
    congregation of the authorization.

(4) The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed handgun in a church, synagogue, or mosque located on the
    property of any school or school property, which would otherwise be prohibited by
    the provisions of R.S. 14:95.2.

(5) Any church, synagogue, or mosque authorizing the carrying of concealed
    handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection, shall require an additional
    eight hour tactical training for those persons wishing to carry concealed handguns
    in the church, synagogue, or mosque. The training shall be conducted annually."

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    and really, 8 hours of annual training to carry in a church? What is the point of this training? Really?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    and really, 8 hours of annual training to carry in a church? What is the point of this training? Really?

Why do we even have CHPs at all? It's about the money and restricting our right to carry.

I think we should have a "punch a liberal in the face" national holiday. Comments like those on the nola.com link are getting progressively more irritating.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Don't know the answer to that. I have a friend that is a preacher, I wonder if we could shoot a round in inside his Church and see what the bullet does different.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel

The point is because the idiot who came up with this is trying to blur the line between being a CHP and being a Armed Security Officer License. Having a CHP is for your personal protection and maybe the protection of your family. It doesn't make you a Security Officer or a Cop. It is not meant to be. The guy pushing this is using the Sheepdog analogy which is a major peeve of mine.
    In this section they make provision for Cops and CHP holders but make no mention of State Certified Licensed Armed Security Guards-
    (2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not be construed to limit or
    prohibit any church, synagogue, or mosque from employing armed security guards
    who are either certified law enforcement officers or who are authorized to carry
    concealed handguns
    pursuant to the provisions of this Section.
    I have no idea how they are going to do the 8 hour annual training in addition to the normal 9 hour class. There will have to be a Church Carry Class devised and instructors will have to present some type of document upon completion. I'm not sure how it would be placed on the CHP unless it's done as some sort of endorsement like they do Hazmat on CDLs. Since CHPs are issued for 2 or 4 years it will probably have to be done as a paste on sticker which you will have to get along with your documentation each year.
    What happens when someone who's not a church goer decides not to pay for the additional training and get the annual "church endorcement" but then is invited to a service or event such as a wedding or baptism? Now I have to leave my CCW outside in the car? Frack that!
    If you havn't figured out already, I'm not a fan of this bill. It's not because I've worked in the Private Security industry for several years. It's because I don't like the way the author of this bill uses the Sheepdog/Security Guard arguement as a way of allowing CCW in churches. I disagree with the ban on church carry as well as resturant/bar and even government building carry. I'm glad there is movement to whittle down the list of where CCWs are banned but I don't like the reason presented for this change nor the additional training required.
    Of course, all of this drama could be avoided if leaders of churches would simply tell their parishiners that since Open Carry is already legal they should do so if they wish to be armed during services.
    But that will never happen.
    Steve

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    (5) Any church, synagogue, or mosque authorizing the carrying of concealed
    handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection, shall require an additional
    eight hour tactical training for those persons wishing to carry concealed handguns
    in the church, synagogue, or mosque. The training shall be conducted annually."

That's intentional to make it cost prohibitive and annoying so that nobody will do it.

This should be stopped, because if this passes it will actually make any church carry attempts more difficult.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The 8 hour training was a compromise/suggestion from one of the antis on the House committee. Those who watched the original proceedings saw it happen live. It didn't get much of a fight since it didn't seem unreasonable I guess. The bill wasn't meant for every CHP holder in the first place. Only those that the church leaders appointed, if they wanted any at all.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The 8 hour training was a compromise/suggestion from one of the antis on the House committee. Those who watched the original proceedings saw it happen live. It didn't get much of a fight since it didn't seem unreasonable I guess. The bill wasn't meant for every CHP holder in the first place. Only those that the church leaders appointed, if they wanted any at all.

It was added by Rep. Schroder on the House floor.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You have to go back to the original bill to see where the language comes from. Burrell wanted to have the congregation informed. Both amendments made it into the final version.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom