Who here farms corn?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    With the rapid de-esclation of drilling and our supply of foreign oil is drying up, who here runs ethanol?

Is it feasible to make your own? How much corn do you think one needs to grow?

If it's growing and a hurricane or something destroys it, can I get reimbursed by FEMA?

Btw, ethanol 85 is 2 bucks a gallon in Houston!

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    My grandma has two 20 acres fields in Alabama where they plant corn during that season and cotton or soy beans at other times of the year. I have no idea about what you are talking about though.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    To hell with ethanol, and to hell with the corn growers and their lobbyists. :curse:

For every gallon of gasoline I try to purchase, I only get nine tenths of a gallon, the other tenth of which is ethanol, which not only increases the cost of the fuel but also lowers fuel economy by about 10%. I see no gain here, just corn growers trying to up their profits via government mandate to push their product on us. :mad:

Last edited:

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    To hell with ethanol, and to hell with the corn growers and their lobbyists. :curse:

For every gallon of gasoline I try to purchase, I only get nine tenths of a gallon, the other tenth of which is ethanol, which not only increases the cost of the fuel but also lowers fuel economy by about 10%. I see no gain here, just corn growers trying to up their profits via government mandate to push their product on us. :mad:

plus, unless you have a vehicle specifically designed to burn ethanol it decreases the life of your engine!

i hate ethanol!

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With the rapid de-esclation of drilling and our supply of foreign oil is drying up, who here runs ethanol?

Is it feasible to make your own? How much corn do you think one needs to grow?

If it's growing and a hurricane or something destroys it, can I get reimbursed by FEMA?

Btw, ethanol 85 is 2 bucks a gallon in Houston!

What's sad about that gallon of E85 is that it cost closer to $5 to make it. Your tax money is being used to cut the cost.

Vast quantities of corn go into making one gallon of ethanol. The nation as a whole cannot make enough corn to supply 20% of our fuel needs.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/question707.htm

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What do you all think of Brazil making ethanol from sugar cane? I've heard both pros and cons about it....You would think that sugar cane ethanol would be a better choice for our region than corn, if they were to make a serious run at mass production....

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Brazil imports hardly any oil. We should buy the ethanol technology from Brazil. One could covert to LPG for vehicle fuel but say goodbye to speedy acceleration.
    There is always biodiesel which is pretty good in some vehicles, like the old Mercedes. Biodiesel is fairly viable down here but tends to gel in colder clients.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    What do you all think of Brazil making ethanol from sugar cane? I've heard both pros and cons about it....You would think that sugar cane ethanol would be a better choice for our region than corn, if they were to make a serious run at mass production....

It would be great for our area, but unfortunately the sugar cane lobbyists aren't near as powerful as those employed by the corn industry.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It would be great for our area, but unfortunately the sugar cane lobbyists aren't near as powerful as those employed by the corn industry.

The thing that worries some with the use of corn is what if- just for the sake of talking- we were to experience another drought like we did in the 1930's that brings corn production to it's knees? Obviously, the main use of corn is food. If you are in a situation where the food, livestock, AND ethanol industry has a high demand for corn that's in short supply.....well, there would be major problems, one would think. We've have not seen trouble in this country like we would if food were in short supply.

Now sugar, on the other hand, is probably something we'd be better off using in another way besides just food....:D

Top Bottom