Gun in Church

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pawpaw131

Old School
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Lafourche
    BROOKFIELD, Wis --
    A Milwaukee woman who bought her first gun less than a year ago said she wears weapons in public for protection.

“I’m getting older and slower and crooks are getting meaner,” said the woman who asked not to be identified.

The woman wore her 9 millimeter Glock handgun on her right hip to the Unitarian Universalist Church West on Sunday.

“I’m not dangerous. I wasn’t acting dangerous; I wasn’t acting any different from anyone else,” she said.

But many members of the church, whose slogan is "help create peace", felt differently.

“I just thought it was really terrible to frighten people. It’s just so uncalled for,” said Caryl Sewell.

Sewell, president of the church’s board of trustees, said after the service they called the Brookfield Police non emergency number and told them the woman brought a gun to church.

“We don’t want weapons in our church,” Sewell said.

The woman said police pulled her over as she was leaving the church parking lot.

“Being held at gunpoint by a bunch of nervous police is a very scary thing,” the woman said.

The woman was cited for transporting a loaded weapon, an allegation she plans to fight.

The incident highlights the bigger battle brewing over the ability to openly carry a gun in Wisconsin.

“I hope more people will realize that, as the attorney general says, openly carrying a weapon is legal,” the woman said.

Sewell said the church is not against open carry, just not inside the church.

“A church is a safe haven. You don’t bring guns into the sanctuary. That’s just over the top,” Sewell said.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Never thought I would see the day of having to protect ones self in a church. However the day has come that the crooks don't care who they rob or even where.
    Haven't carried mine in the church yet, but I keep one in the car. Has the law passed In Louisiana to carry in church yet?

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Never thought I would see the day of having to protect ones self in a church. However the day has come that the crooks don't care who they rob or even where.
    Haven't carried mine in the church yet, but I keep one in the car. Has the law passed In Louisiana to carry in church yet?

I heard it passed and one of the guys that works with me has kept up with it pretty good. You have to have a concealed carry license, have taken an extra tactical pistol course (possibly like an armed security guard course or something of that nature, no specifics on what course as of yet), and the pastor or board has to appoint you to a "security" team or something like that.

This is all hear say, I have not read the law myself, but apparently it just passed within the last few weeks. Maybe someone has a link to the law???

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It's all BS. :mad: We need to be able to carry weapons A N Y W H E R E a criminal would carry his or hers. We don't need any laws telling us when and where because as we are all already acutely aware, criminals do NOT obey laws, especially any laws that would require disarming themselves. I mean really, who dreams this crap up?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

Just google Church shooting and see the results.

You have to get their permission, among other things. And churches can decide that no one is allowed to carry if they want.

They always could as a property owner can prohibit the carrying of firearms on their property.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've left churches which didn't want people carrying.

If they can't read Luke chapter 22, they don't need my money. (And yea, I pretty much have come to believe it's a racket... look at the pasters)

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    If they can't read Luke chapter 22, they don't need my money. (And yea, I pretty much have come to believe it's a racket... look at the pasters)

Believe it or not some pastors don't take a salary. It's a calling not a profession to some .I happen to belong to a body that the pastor is just such.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Believe it or not some pastors don't take a salary. It's a calling not a profession to some .I happen to belong to a body that the pastor is just such.

^ Rare.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's all BS. :mad: We need to be able to carry weapons A N Y W H E R E a criminal would carry his or hers. We don't need any laws telling us when and where because as we are all already acutely aware, criminals do NOT obey laws, especially any laws that would require disarming themselves. I mean really, who dreams this crap up?

I agree- I don't like all the crap they put in either, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Someone needs to ask how many hours of training will be required of the criminals before they can bring their weapons into a church....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx

AMEN!:cheers:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Just open carry. If a person busts in to church and starts shooting, no way will they notice a gun on a hip if you are sitting down.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    All I know is this: I'll be damned if I'm willing to take special training just so I can carry concealed when I walk in for a 15 pc family order.....

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Exactly, and their fried okra, you got to be packing to protect that stuff.

Heck, you BETTER be packing if you go into a Popeye's these days too.

And as an aside, what's with the wings at Churches? How do they get that super steroid sized piece of white meat attached? It's Satan I tell ya.

:)

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm sure criminals will respect that safe haven... :rolleyes:

Oh wait, wasn't there a shooting in a church just a few months ago? Yep.. here's the youtube video of it.

[youtube]HWlUQXdmnBw[/youtube]

Glad I live in Louisiana and not Wisconsin. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20009977-503544.html
    Had a long discussion with some friends and associates on Facebook about this last night/this morning. Unbelievable, I was the only one for Jindal signing this piece of legislation. They had no facts; no philosophical underpinnings; no reason and no logic. They pulled "facts" out of their lower colons and when called to provide links to their factoids they grew a bit agitated. When I used a bit of deductive reasoning they grew silent. Why? Because they felt that the police was here to protect us and more guns = more crime so I told them they wished to live in a dictatorship; a Police State. I could hear crickets. :rofl:

I'm sad to say that all parties were upper middle class Blacks and they didn't appreciate my bringing that to their attention, either - especially the judge in D.C. who had access to a firearm and a security detail (yet her constituents don't).

hey didn't like the facts of what has happened historically when firearms are removed from civilian society nor did they appreciate the fact that I reminded them that Jesus commanded his disciples to grab their sword and follow him and if they did not have a sword to sell their robe and buy themselves one. Didn't like the fact that our 2nd Amendment Rights come from British Common Law which is extended from the Goths, in general, and the Norman tribes, in particular.

I had a GREAT time!

Ah, the irony is as thick as the air down here this past two weeks.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Unitarians aren't a church.

Bunch of dope smoking hippie rejects.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads