iphone 4 recall?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1294884/Apple-recall-iPhone-4-signal-problems.html

Is Apple about to recall iPhone 4 over signal problems? Firm calls surprise press conference

Last updated at 12:58 PM on 15th July 2010

Apple has called a surprise press conference about the iPhone 4 sparking rumours that it is about to issue a recall of the device.
    The new iPhone has been plagued by complaints about poor reception with many users finding that it loses signal when held in a certain way.

Now Apple has invited a select group of journalists to a press conference at its base in Cupertino, California on Friday and will only confirm that it will be to talk about iPhone 4.
    Apple has faced mounting criticism from analysts and consumers over its handling of complaints about the reception issues on the newest iPhone, which was launched last month.

Analysts say Apple has created a public relations headache for itself by appearing to dismiss or ignore the problem, allowing a minor issue to be turned into headline news.

Although most analysts believe a recall of the device is unlikely, a growing number have urged Apple to resolve the matter, perhaps by offering free iPhone cases, which appear to solve the problem.

Jason Jenkins, Editor of CNET, said: 'There is clearly a problem with the iPhone 4. We know it, Apple knows it, everyone knows it.

'If you hold the phone in a certain way at the bottom left corner, reception is reduced. It's doubtful that a software fix will solve things -- it's a fundamental issue with the design of the phone.

'But does this necessitate a recall? No. It's not that big a deal.'
    On Tuesday Apple's shares plunged by more than four percent after an influential guide gave the new iPhone 4 a poor review, wiping £6.5 billion off the firm's value.
    The fall came after Consumer Reports, a US group similar to Which? in the UK, said it could not recommend the iPhone 4 after its tests confirmed concerns about signal loss when the device is held in a certain way.
    Consumer Reports, which publishes guides on everything from cars to TVs, said that it had also tested other phones - including the iPhone 3GS - and found none had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.

It added that AT&T, the exclusive mobile phone carrier for the iPhone 4 and whose network is often blamed for reception problems, was not necessarily the main culprit.
    The review said: 'When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.'

The iPhone 4 still achieved a respectably high score due to its impressive display, front-facing video camera and improved battery life but it did not make it onto Consumer Reports' influential list of recommended phones.
    And the site' adds: 'Apple needs to come up with a permanent – and free – fix for the antenna problems before we can recommend the iPhone 4.'
    It even suggested that the only way to get around the problem was to cover the bottom of the phone in duct tape. And the site suggests the older model, the iPhone 3G, is still the better buy.

Apple came in for more criticism for deleting comments on its user-support forums which discussed the negative review.

The company has said all mobile phones suffer some signal loss when held in different ways, and suggested that a software glitch might have misled users by overstating signal strength.

Hudson Square Research analyst Daniel Ernst pointed to speculation that Consumer Reports' article might induce a recall.
    Apple shares dipped below their 50-day moving average price of $256.26, sliding as much as 4.2 percent to $246.43.
    Shares of Research in Motion, which makes the rival Blackberry, climbed 2.7 percent to $57.42.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    No way they'll do a recall, I read one article that said the cost would be $1.5 billion or more. I bet they'll give away free cases, which would cost them $1 or $2 each. They also mentioned a software update, which I'll bet does nothing but show more service bars than you really have.

Either way, I love my iPhone 4 and have really never noticed the antenna issue, and I'm not using a case (waiting for the Otterbox).

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm just glad my contract isn't up until February. Hopefully by that time they'll work all the kinks out....

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Mine is in March. I'm glad I wasn't an early adopter.

The Today Show said an Apple insider (I believe) said not to expect a full recall. A corporate crisis expert said that isn't going to work because if you have a faulty phone, and your buddy goes out next week to purchase a working phone, then you're going to want a working phone too... ie: why should early adopters be punished.

We shall see.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. If you use any kind of case, which 99% of the people who have them do, it is a complete non issue. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. If you use any kind of case, which 99% of the people who have them do, it is a complete non issue. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

I agree, it is a non-issue for most people because so many of us use a case. But Apple’s knowledge they were releasing a faulty antennae along with their immediate attitude, “You’re holding it wrong, not our problem”, has made it a big deal to many folks.

Recalls happen. And for the most part Apple has released perfectly operational products in the past. This shouldn’t have been a lasting impression for the corporation if they had responded favorably to initial complaints.

My personal feelings is that Apple is unique because the entire corporation has adopted Steve Jobs’ attitude. Normally corporations don’t mimic their founder quite as well as Apple has. Their overwhelming approach is “We’re Apple. We can do anything and people will still stand in line three days to purchase our products.”

And that’s true. Guilty party right here. But probably should back off the geek snobbery and adopt a slightly more friendly public relations. IMO that is what has landed them in hot water over this case.

Last edited:

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I don't really think it is necessarily a "faulty" antenna as much as it is just the nature of the beast when it comes to a small low powered portable wireless device such as an iphone. Again, the fact that the entire issue can be avoided by either A, putting a case on it or B, not holding it firmly in the bottom left corner if you are in an area of weak signal strenth, doesn't make it a deal breaker if you ask me. Now, where I think they screwed up is that they got greedy and didn't want to include the $2 bumpers with the phones at the time of purchase. If they had done that, nobody could have said a thing. I guess the temptation of making $30 a pop on a case that cost them $2 was too much for them to resist. As for the "Macatude" and "geek snobbery" that so many Apple folks seem to exhibit, isn't that exactly what makes a sightseeing trip to the Apple store so entertaining? Almost as good as going to Whole Foods! :rofl:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom