40 hour minimum?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Quick question- is there a Louisiana law stating a full time employee must be guaranteed a certain amount if hours/week? Not pertaining to me, but another nearby company. Thanks

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No. However, certain salaried employees (like inside sales), must be paid at least minimum wage regardless of how many hours worked. For instance: If you are inside sales, and your salary is $700 per week; and you work a 60 hours work week, you are not entitled to overtime because your hourly wage still averages at least minimum wage.

There are several exempted positions from overtime rules.

Refer to US Dept. of Labor website. See the rules concerning Title 29, Chapter 5. Also see Part 778; Bulletin on Overtimes Compensation.

Your question may concern guaranteed salaries, of which there is a section; but almost every hourly labor question revolves around overtime and the rules involving that.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    It's been a while since I looked at the laws/rules.
    I believe anything over 32 hours is considered full time. If you are hired as full time yet during a "slow" period you are cut to say 24 hours. The company has that right to cut employee hours to remain profitable or efficient. Now some company's like my fathers'; have a program. We have one for welders and other useful crafts. They are on a guaranteed 40 hour plan. No matter how slow we get. They may have to come to work and push a broom or fix nik-nak things but they will get their 40hours. We do this as an incentive for our really good hands so we don't lose them during down time but really use them when we pick up within 2-3 weeks.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's been a while since I looked at the laws/rules.
    I believe anything over 32 hours is considered full time. If you are hired as full time yet during a "slow" period you are cut to say 24 hours. The company has that right to cut employee hours to remain profitable or efficient. Now some company's like my fathers'; have a program. We have one for welders and other useful crafts. They are on a guaranteed 40 hour plan. No matter how slow we get. They may have to come to work and push a broom or fix nik-nak things but they will get their 40hours. We do this as an incentive for our really good hands so we don't lose them during down time but really use them when we pick up within 2-3 weeks.

That's all you can do. No guarantees for hours. Just the federal minimum wage.

And if you are a **** smoker, no company has to allow you time to waste sucking your life away! So if you do smoke, you should kiss your bosses feet if he/she allows you to milk their wallets with that crap. :p

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I was told if you are hired as a full time employee, its against the law for them to cut your hours to say 20. He is usually full of **** so I wanted to clarify.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I was told if you are hired as a full time employee, its against the law for them to cut your hours to say 20. He is usually full of **** so I wanted to clarify.

He is indeed full of **** to my knowledge.
    You have no guarantee of hours. Now if he has a signed agreement with the company itself then maybe he might have some support but I doubt it. Other than that the only thing you have the right to is minimum wage. Everything else.... Well most company's say it like this or some of the ones I have dealt with.
    If you don't like the hours, benefits or the money you can always go try somewhere else......

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA

He is full of ****. A company has the ability to cut hours. In fact if hours average below 32 over a 6 month period he is automatically converted to a part time employee. Which means bye bye benefits such as health insurance.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I am full time at a hospital. We are only scheduled 32 hour weeks. We can pick up shifts if we want most of the time. They watch the hours like hawks though making sure we get our 32 in though due to benefit reasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom