Tactical flashlight mounts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I want to get a mount for my AR so that I can operate the tail switch with my thumb from the FG.

I like the ones that come straight down off the 3 or 9 oclock rail.

Can someone point me towards a decent mount that doesnt hurt the wallet so bad?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Viking Tactics. It's polymer. I have been using the same one for 8 years. Just don't over tighten and use Blue Locktite.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I've been using the same one for 8 YEARS. It has deployed 3 times and when it's not deployed its on my Patrol Rifle. The time span is significant because I could break a bowling ball.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Also would help to know what type/length of rail you use. And by FG do you mean a vertical grip? Also what type of light you have. Could help get a better recommendation for you.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I use the same set up....flashlight mounted next to fore-grip so I can activate it directly using my left hand thumb...

I use a command arms multiple position mount like this...$30

UFH1R.jpg

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=162&cID=19

My theory originally was I would mount it on the top rail and pivot it to either the left or right side as needed....but I liked it so much on the right side of the rifle, next to the forearm grip that I ended up leaving it there....

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not knocking your choice man but if you don't pivot it then why have the pivot? In my experience it it pivots it breaks. Moving parts BAD!

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    Thank you for starting this thread. I've been thinking about the same thing. And thanks to all for the responses. There is some good info here.

Speedracer, seeing how I know first hand your taste in weapons ;) If you have any suggestions for someone without a set up please let me know 'cause you got good taste man!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thank you for starting this thread. I've been thinking about the same thing. And thanks to all for the responses. There is some good info here.

Speedracer, seeing how I know first hand your taste in weapons ;) If you have any suggestions for someone without a set up please let me know 'cause you got good taste man!

I personally like this setup: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32121&highlight=minimalist

It's truly universal, super lightweight and puts the light right where I like it. And the light is mounted solidly to the FSB, not screwed on to the plastic handguard. It's not the cheapest option though, as you need the FSB mount ($30) and the light mount (another $30-40).

If you have a railed forend, the options are much greater. I like simple offset mounts like the VTAC and VLTor mounts. My goal is as few moving parts as possible. Simpler designs tend to be lighter and more rugged.

You can also just buy a rail and slap a Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire X300 on it. The TLR-1 ends up costing about the same as a decent light and mount anyway, and the package is much lighter.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes I meant vertical grip (fg/forward grip)

Im using a stag left hand with a yhm diamond quad rail, SOG vertical grip, and a Streamlight polytac. I want the light to hang down off the 3 oclock rail so I can operate the light with the thumb on my right hand.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    In that case you're on the right track with the VTAC. I think it'll get the light where you want it and at under $30 the price can't be beat. I do prefer the VLTOR stuff, but it costs twice as much.

Actually I think I have a VTAC mount I never used (ended up liking the FSB mount better) I'd be willing to part with if you are interested.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If anyone needs a really cheap mount, then here is one for $6.77 shipped out of Hong Kong. I picked one up for my S&W 15-22 trainer when coyote hunting and did not want to break the bank. I was very surprised of the quality. Remember that this is designed for airsoft, so know that it was not made for your goto gun.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33823

Last edited:

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I personally like this setup: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32121&highlight=minimalist

It's truly universal, super lightweight and puts the light right where I like it. And the light is mounted solidly to the FSB, not screwed on to the plastic handguard. It's not the cheapest option though, as you need the FSB mount ($30) and the light mount (another $30-40).

If you have a railed forend, the options are much greater. I like simple offset mounts like the VTAC and VLTor mounts. My goal is as few moving parts as possible. Simpler designs tend to be lighter and more rugged.

You can also just buy a rail and slap a Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire X300 on it. The TLR-1 ends up costing about the same as a decent light and mount anyway, and the package is much lighter.

That is sweet and does look super lightweight but it will not work for me. I have a full railed upper with MBUS. I was thinking the same about the TLR-1 but just had concerns about the best place to mount for momentary actuation. That VTAC seems ideal for what I already have running.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    That is sweet and does look super lightweight but it will not work for me. I have a full railed upper with MBUS. I was thinking the same about the TLR-1 but just had concerns about the best place to mount for momentary actuation. That VTAC seems ideal for what I already have running.

I run a TLR1 on my goto rifle with the pressure switch mounted on the top rail. I will try and post pics tonight.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    FWIW I use the VTAC and a Surefire G2. I avoid tape switches and just activate the tail-cap with my thumb. YMMV but I found with tape switches I had too many White Light NDs.

Top Bottom