Best Pheasant Load 12 gauge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I spent a week in Kansas a number of years ago chasing free-range pheasants on management areas. I can say from my experience a pheasant is a very tough bird. 7 1/2 shot is OK for doves and maybe pen raised pheasant. I used 3" mag with 1 5/8oz of #5 shot and I can't say I was over gunned. Just knocking them out of the sky is not enough.....they often run after they hit the ground. A good dog helps with recovery. If you are limited to 2 3/4" shells, use a premium load with no less than #6 shot. Pen raised birds flush close and fly slower. Wild birds ain't so nice.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    dakota birds are tough as nails, I would use the 45... In truth I would say if you can get 3 inch to cycle use 3 inch HB #6 in a good choke..
    if you have to use 2 3/4 then get some premium grade HB with 6 but 7 will work if you hit them..

let us know how it goes.. I miss me some big birds.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I've had a chance to shoot some pen raised pheasant. After having to go after quite a few cripples I'd use at least #6 shot, preferably #5. Those things are tough birds.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Id shoot my double and load 6s and 4s Modified and Full respectively. 4s worked just fine on mallards in the lead shot days. I bet 6 hevi shot would do really well.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I will be going the week before Thanksgiving. I will be after pheasant, ducks, geese, and whitetail. I was able to get all my licenses. It should be a great trip, it is the first hunt with my father in almost 10 years.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    My recommendation would be a good #5 or #6 such as the Kent Ultimate Fast Lead, or the comparable Winchester/Remington pheasant load, while staying away from the cheapo stuff on the shelf at walmart.

Sounds like you have a very nice trek planned out, so I wouldn't skimp on a couple boxes of shells to possibly have a more enjoyable time.

Top Bottom