M1a Scout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Can somebody educate me on the m1a scout . I know the specs on it but nobodies personal experiences with it . Went looking at one the other day and am torn between that and an FNAR . Ive heard different things when it comes to the MOA , kinda want something for some plinking , ranges at around lets say 500meters , and all around SHTF type gun .

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    also this is what im looking at and am considering doing .
    photo.jpg

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Welp i will see what my paycheck looks like and may try to go put some money down and buy one , sucks i will have to wait on the scope . Where did yall get yur stocks from ?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Here is my .02 if you want a true SHTF gun for close range (300 yards and under, further than that I want some magnification) I think an M1A Scout with an Aimpoint would be awesome. Great firepower, up to 25rd mags, and with the 1x Aimpoint very fast target acquisition. The aimpoint has infinite eye relief unlike a scope so the placement of the optic is not an issue. You can move it forward or rearward and not lose the dot, unlike cross hairs in a scope that blacks out unless you have proper eye relief. This means both eyes open shooting. It is like shooting a pistol with a cmore but shoulder fired in .308. Anything in North America is DRT with proper shot placement. The Scout has a small Picatinny rail forward of the action that a mount such as a LaRue on the Aimpoint will mount directly above the barrel and keep the optics low. Unlike the raised mounting systems for scopes that have to allow for brass ejection as well as the scope placement (magnified optics) to be much further rearward for proper eye relief.

Now IMO the M1A is by far not the best platform for magnified optics. There are some mounts such as the Sadlak that are supposed to be very stiff and not allow movement on the M1A. Beware there are some that are junk. So if you go that route do some research and buy a quality mounting system or your optic will move and you are chasing your tail trying to sight the rifle in or keep a good zero. Besides some of the mounts moving and being substandard, any mount is going to be really tall so that the brass can eject properly. Which puts the scope REALLY high so now an adjustable or elevated cheek peice is required unless you can develop some refined tactical CHIN weld. The seperation distance of the axis of the bore and the line of sight gets fairly large IMO and it just does not work for me personally. Many optics run out of elevation adjustment when dialing for longer distance as well, due to using alot of the adjustment to compensate for the height difference of scope vs bore just in order to zero the scope. Now what do I know because the WhiteFeather is a great platform and has good accuracy. I would just go a different route if my intention was to put magnified optics in an M1A. The NM I have just sports the irons.

I think for a minute of man gun with great handling and target acquisition a Scout with and Aimpoint is MONEY. You should be able to get 2 MOA maybe better with it. If you want Minute of Nat's Asses (5 shots touching) then you will spend way more money trying to get bolt gun preformance out of it and probably never get there, just buy a bolt gun and be done with it. If you want something in the middle then I would recommend a QUALITY AR-10. The optics mount direct to the Picatinny rail on the upper which drasticly lowers the line of sight to the axis of the bore compared to an M1A scoped setup. With good rings the questionable mouting as well as using up a large portion of the elevation adjustment in the scope is no longer a concern. The options to customize are nearly endless. And with a QUALITY gun you can get near custom bolt gun preformance. I have a Noveske upper which truely changed my opinion on what kind of accuracy a semi-auto platform can deliver. The accuracy beat my expectations by far. Only draw back is it is not as handy as a Scout would be due to the weight of the heavy barrel. You could opt for a lighter coutour and shorter barrel length but I was going for max velocity and accuracy out of an AR in .308Win.

As always YMMV.

Last edited:

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I got my EBR off gunbroker, used. I love it. The whole setup weighs a ton, but the recoil is signficantly less than that of the fullsize m1a in fiberglass stock.

Oh, and the socom is LOUD!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom