About to purchase my first Mosin...need help...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,
    I'm going down to Cabela's tomorrow to get a Mosin that they have in the sale ad.

What should I be looking for when picking one out? What are some common problems to be aware of? Anything to stay away from? Originality is not a huge concern as my purpose is to get into the military gun collecting hobby & also to be able shoot this rifle.

At this price of $99, should I consider buying more than one as an investment?

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Hey guys,
    I'm going down to Cabela's tomorrow to get a Mosin that they have in the sale ad.

What should I be looking for when picking one out? What are some common problems to be aware of? Anything to stay away from? Originality is not a huge concern as my purpose is to get into the military gun collecting hobby & also to be able shoot this rifle.

At this price of $99, should I consider buying more than one as an investment?

Just check the bore and make sure its not completely gone...otherwise, they are pretty much all the same. Find one you like and have fun. If you like WWII stuff then you could always look for one with a year that fell within the war.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    1. What WHB said.

2. They were advertising ammo, as well, IIRC.

3. To let them know you're serious, go dressed as Josef Stalin- complete with fake mustache- to pick it up.:thumbsup:

4. Let us know how things turn out, please- 'cause I might be interested in picking one up myself next week.:)

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    1. What WHB said.

2. They were advertising ammo, as well, IIRC.

3. To let them know you're serious, go dressed as Josef Stalin- complete with fake mustache- to pick it up.:thumbsup:

4. Let us know how things turn out, please- 'cause I might be interested in picking one up myself next week.:)

2. The ammo was pretty expensive compared to what it sells for online. It's listed as $10 for a box of 20. 440 rounds online goes for about $80.

4. The sale is only for four hours at Cabela's starting at 8am tomorrow.

http://content.yudu.com/A1omtr/CabelasUGOADoorbuste/resources/index.htm

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yeah, I REALLY wanted to get one from Cabela's but there is no way I could get out there for 8:00. If someone would be willing to pick one up I would be willing to Paypal them the money and go pick it up at a later date. I would think that Cabela's would probably get a pretty nice batch considering their buying power. I have watched several You Tube videos and think it would be a kick in the butt to shoot. Does anybody know if they are fine to shoot at Honey Island or Nicks?

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As promised here is my update from picking up a Mosin 91/30 from Cabelas's...

First of all I tried to get there as close to 8am as possible. I arrived at 8:15 and thought to myself that 15 mins wouldn't be a big deal. Boy was I wrong, there was approx 50 people ahead of me patiently awaiting to hear his number called. The 7.62x54r ammo that was on sale was already gone by the time I got there (I knew it was cheaper online anyway.) Also, the Herters 223 ammo was also gone within 20 mins of the store opening.

After waiting 2 hours, I was finally able to leave the store with a "new" Mosin Nagant 91/30. The rifle was all numbers matching including the bayonet. A sling, tool kit, and several ammo pouches were included. My rifle had the 1943 markings from the Izhevsk factory.

I realize that its not rare or super collectible compared to the other 91/30s but I can't wait to get a chance to shoot this thing.

xubbufj7popp0fgzreg.jpg

arhsty2kkd9il37vq13.jpg

hqiixbk1g0vudgdhihjh.jpg

Top Bottom