Need some range ideas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I have been using some wooden target I built, but I am thinking of upgrading my home range. (Home on the Range) I have attached a google earth image of my property, any ideas on target placement or type would be appreciated. Also any offers of help building it would be AWESOME! At the current time I dont have a back stop other than the few miles of woods behind my place. I figure that should be ok concidering the property directly behind me is paper mill land and behind that is hunting club land. I have ALOT of clay from digging my pod left over just need some way to move it to make a backstop. Let me know what you think!

I measured it, its 1.25 miles through the woods to the nearest building/people. That should suffice I think.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Thats bad ass wish I had this option available, I would definetly try to add some sort of a back stop something as simple as moving all that clay to be the backstop would work, if you wanted something diferent you can get some USED tires from them places that sell them for dirt cheap, drive 2 4x4 through the inside opening and fill that up with gravel/crushed asphalt, concrete (whatever you can find), you can make them about 5 tire high and they should be just as good.

I would definetly invest on something of [_] this shape though this way you can shoot towards 3 areas in a safer and more responsable way without putting your neighbors in danger.

otherwise you can have a really nice setup. If you dont want to invest much money on making metal stands you can fabricate them from 2" pvc pipe.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I would build a berm. You have no control over anyone walking in the woods in your fallout zone. People trespass all the time, especially kids. You don't need that grief.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    "I would definetly invest on something of [_] this shape though this way you can shoot towards 3 areas in a safer and more responsable way without putting your neighbors in danger."
    Im not following you, sorry, its early and only had 3 cups of joe so far. Yeah I wish I could find someone with a backhoe, I have a tractor and dirt scoop, but this clay is hard as a rock.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Thats bad ass wish I had this option available, I would definetly try to add some sort of a back stop something as simple as moving all that clay to be the backstop would work, if you wanted something diferent you can get some USED tires from them places that sell them for dirt cheap, drive 2 4x4 through the inside opening and fill that up with gravel/crushed asphalt, concrete (whatever you can find), you can make them about 5 tire high and they should be just as good.

I would definetly invest on something of [_] this shape though this way you can shoot towards 3 areas in a safer and more responsable way without putting your neighbors in danger.

otherwise you can have a really nice setup. If you dont want to invest much money on making metal stands you can fabricate them from 2" pvc pipe.

Nevermind, I understand, thats a good idea. I have enough dirt I could make a berm on three sides.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    LOL Imagine a Square U shape |_| sorry im not good with drawings, but my point is to have side stops as well this way you can setup targets at an agle to shoot sideways instead of just down range

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    LOL Imagine a Square U shape |_| sorry im not good with drawings, but my point is to have side stops as well this way you can setup targets at an agle to shoot sideways instead of just down range

Great idea! I wonder how much it would cost to rent something to move the dirt.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Couple of hundred bucks, definelty cheaper than the liability of somebody who "didnt know" being shot.

I would check with rental companies, if you happen to have a Stine near by they usually rent equipment without giving you operating hour limits.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Also keep in mind best thing if you get one of those unlimited hours deals is to rent on saturday, since sunday is a free day and you dont return until monday morning.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Crap, I just remembered my brother in-law had a bobcat at one time, wonder if... The thing with this clay is its SUPER compacted. I mean I had to pick axe some when I filled in some potholes in my drive. I bent my dirt scoop trying to load it up!

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Im going to get the grass cut back there this after noon, try and start moving some dirt later or tomorrow. I welded some re-enforcement on my dirt scoop, maybe that will help.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Election time is coming up soon. Plenty of election signs to be used for target stands coming up. Let me know and I'll come help provided it doesn't keep raining me out during the week and making me work on the weekends.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Election time is coming up soon. Plenty of election signs to be used for target stands coming up. Let me know and I'll come help provided it doesn't keep raining me out during the week and making me work on the weekends.

Those signs are normally picked up and re used in the next election.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom