44 mag 300 gr. LSWC data

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    Can anyone share loading data for a 44 mag. 300 gr. LSWC bullet for rifles? I have plenty of load formulas/books for pistols, but no rifles.
    Will be shooting a Marlin 1894 lever action with a 20" barrel & pig hunting. I have HS-6, Titegroup, Sport Pistol, Unique & IMR 4227 powders.
    Thanks
    Bennie

Pull-1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2018
    Lake Providence, La.
    It is still a handgun cartridge, same data will apply although you should get more velocity from the longer barrel. I have a 357 Mag BH and a 94’ Marlin. Same load will add about 300 fps in the rifle (16” barrel vs 4 5/8”).

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    What ever you decide on , use a heavy roll crip with 300grn on your lever gun loads. Heavy recoil will set the rds that are in the tube further into the case and increase the pressure in your next firings

Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    What ever you decide on , use a heavy roll crip with 300grn on your lever gun loads. Heavy recoil will set the rds that are in the tube further into the case and increase the pressure in your next firings
    Plan on starting with IMR4227 and working up from 18.0 - 22.0 grains and crimp. Also will try 18.0 - 19.0 grains of H110 and crimp at 1/2 grain increments for both. I will also be loading some 240 gr. SWC with the same two powders. I'm going to fire a few through my S&W 29-2 and see how they perform there.
    Thanks very much
    Bennie

Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    Can anyone share loading data for a 44 mag. 300 gr. LSWC bullet for rifles? I have plenty of load formulas/books for pistols, but no rifles.
    Will be shooting a Marlin 1894 lever action with a 20" barrel & pig hunting. I have HS-6, Titegroup, Sport Pistol, Unique & IMR 4227 powders.
    Thanks
    Bennie

Thanks
    Bennie
    44 Mag 300 Gr. LSWC DATA
    Just returned from the range. First, the 300 gr. bullet will not chamber or function properly in my Marlin 1894 or my Ruger 44 carbine.
    The OAL is too long and the action doesn't like it and jams. It does operate just fine in my S&W 29-2. So, there will be no 300 gr. rifle loads for me.
    However the 240 gr. LSWC, 240 gr. JHP & 240 gr. JFP worked well and all shot fairly good groups and dialed in pretty close to each others
    elevation.
    Here is my recipe for those bullets.
    1st. choice 4227 powder 22.0 gr.
    2nd. choice H110 powder 23.5 gr.
    3rd. choice HS-6 powder 14.5 gr.

Good luck guys

Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    Are you casting your own or are you buying pre-cast bullets?
    I'm buying my bullets. Inventory is starting to become an issue. A long time ago my furnace & molds disappeared. I never before believed in gremlins, but gremlins must have taken my furnace & molds. Surely not any of my friends could have them. Some of the suppliers are:
    STATELINE
    STRAIGHTSHOOTERS
    US RELOADING
    MISSOURI BULLET
    MONTANA BULLET
    BOB'S BULLETS

Good luck
    Bennie

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was gonna say, if you cast your own, and you are intent on a 300 gr bullet, you can order a mold that has a shorter nose ahead of the crimp groove. Accurate Molds has several offerings that would probably work in your rifle. This would of course reduce available powder space so you would have to reduce loads compared to the SWC design.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hard cast cowboy loads for those lever action guns are fun. I’ve tried a few different loads in my carbines and I’ve settled on a commercial load. I have a Browning and Marlin in lever and a little tube fed Ruger carbine. For some reason the Remington UMC 180gr soft tips have been better than any other load in those little rifles. They’re a bit on the hot end and come out screaming fast. The only other load I use in them is a 240gr Hornady bullet they use in the Lever Evolution ammo. Bought a bunch when they were plentiful.

Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    Hard cast cowboy loads for those lever action guns are fun. I’ve tried a few different loads in my carbines and I’ve settled on a commercial load. I have a Browning and Marlin in lever and a little tube fed Ruger carbine. For some reason the Remington UMC 180gr soft tips have been better than any other load in those little rifles. They’re a bit on the hot end and come out screaming fast. The only other load I use in them is a 240gr Hornady bullet they use in the Lever Evolution ammo. Bought a bunch when they were plentiful.
    All of my shooting is hand loads. Can't remember the last time that I bought a factory round. Maybe in the mid 60's. I just thought that I would try the 300 gr bullets. 240 gr. is great for my pistols and rifles. Plenty big enough for the paper and pigs that I shoot. Guess I'll get rid of the 300 gr. LSWC's. Thanks for your input.
    Bennie

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition has a 44 Magnum Rifle section but the bullet weight only goes to 250 grains ... strangely in 44 Magnum Handgun section the data goes to a 300 gr. Lyman #429650 and up to the Lee 310 gr. bullet #C430-310-RF ??? I would have thought the 300 gr. bullets out of a rifle barrel would be prefered to a sixgun barrel ... but what do I know ???
    The handgun loads fired in the rifle will be safe , you will be getting a few extra fps from the longer barrel .
    I would use the Lyman data and fire the ammo in the rifle ...it's still safe if you have a six-shooter too .

Of the 12 powders ... the only one on your list is
    4227 ... they have data for IMR4227 and data for H4227 ...Let me know if you want the data and which 4227 you have ... H or IMR .
    Don't "get rid" of the 300 grain bullets ... out of a rifle I think they would be deadly on Hogs and/or deer ...at least try some out for accuracy !
    Gary

Bennie

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 23, 2021
    Zachary, LA
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition has a 44 Magnum Rifle section but the bullet weight only goes to 250 grains ... strangely in 44 Magnum Handgun section the data goes to a 300 gr. Lyman #429650 and up to the Lee 310 gr. bullet #C430-310-RF ??? I would have thought the 300 gr. bullets out of a rifle barrel would be prefered to a sixgun barrel ... but what do I know ???
    The handgun loads fired in the rifle will be safe , you will be getting a few extra fps from the longer barrel .
    I would use the Lyman data and fire the ammo in the rifle ...it's still safe if you have a six-shooter too .

Of the 12 powders ... the only one on your list is
    4227 ... they have data for IMR4227 and data for H4227 ...Let me know if you want the data and which 4227 you have ... H or IMR .
    Don't "get rid" of the 300 grain bullets ... out of a rifle I think they would be deadly on Hogs and/or deer ...at least try some out for accuracy !
    Gary
    Gary
    Thanks for your input.
    Unfortunately the WFN style bullets did not feed or chamber properly in either my Marlin 1894 or my Ruger 44 Carbine. They performed well shooting them as a single action, loadin a single bullet at a time and very well in my S&W 29-2. Maybe a round nose would feed correctly. It was fun shooting all the different charges in three different guns.

Bennie

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom