5 days hiking The Appalachian Trail (Part 2)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t know if I mentioned it but the climb out of the campsite that morning was straight up. All I could think of was the pain I felt for the last two days. As I took my first step up the hill I could not believe it. The pain I had been feeling for the last two days was reduced significantly. For the next 10 minutes I didn’t say anything as I didn’t want to jinx myself but the knee felt better. As we gained elevation we finally made it to the shelter where we dumped the extra food in the bear box for a lucky hiker to find. As we were getting ready to continue the hike, our new found friends we met earlier on the trail came bopping down the trail towards us so we stopped and chatted with them. We ended up hiking and talking with them over the next five miles and had some beautiful scenic overlooks along the way. At some point during the day they told us they were staying at a hostel that night and invited us to go with them. We accepted the invite and were glad we would be getting a hot shower that night. Also during the day we chatted about our trail names because everyone on the trail has a trail name. Mine ended up being Captain America and my wife’s was Freedom. Our friends trail names were Trail Taco and Patriot Mom. Your trail name is usually related to something you did or where you came from. Most of the time its a great story which is always a fun thing to talk about around the campfire. My knee got better as the day went on and I finally started to get my hiker legs underneath me. We had arranged to be picked up by the shuttle at Woody Gap as the hostel was less than a mile from there. This was a neat little hostel as washing your clothes and a hot fresh meal was included in the price. The owners were nice and were experts on the AT Trail. We slept in bunk beds this night and I really didn’t sleep too well but I was clean and warm so I had no complaints. I was up early and was the first one at the coffee pot. The coffee was good as was the breakfast, but I was ready to get back on the trail. As soon as we were done, we told our friends goodbye as they were leaving to go home this day and we jumped in the shuttle and headed for the trail head at Woody Gap. We hiked all day headed for Jarrard Gap to camp. My knee was still feeling good so we were doing better than any days before. Even though we were only doing about 5-6 miles per day, it was a good pace for us as we were just trying to get a feel for the AT. We made it to Jarrard Gap and set up camp. We made it in a little early to camp so we had a relaxed evening setting up our gear. As the evening went on we ended up with 7 more people in our campsite. We ended up around a fire with Rooster, Jack Rabbit and Quill. They were all great people with such diverse and interesting backgrounds and we had great time hanging out that night. We eventually crashed for the night and woke up a little earlier than usual. This day would be our last on the trail and would be a tough hike. We had to go over Blood Mountain which is the second highest mountain in Georgia. It turned out to be a great hike as we ran in to our new friends at the top of Blood Mountain. We got some great views and got a picture of us with our friends with great views behind us. Need Gap waited for us at at the bottom of Blood Mountain. This is the only place on the trail where the trail runs through a building. The building is an outdoor gear store that has the latest and greatest gear and the employees know everything you ever wanted to know about the gear. We hung out here with our buddies until they hit the trail for some more hiking and then our shuttle service picked us up. They brought us to our hotel where we grabbed a hot shower and went to a local brewery for some cold beer and greasy food. Later back at the hotel we packed our gear and got ready for our drive back home. Before we hit the rack we were already missing the trail and the carefree life we led for the last 5 days. Even though we severely underestimated the difficulty of the AT we came to love it and by the last day we had our hiking legs under us and were in hiking shape. On the ride back to BR we stayed in Tuscaloosa and hit another brewery ( Black Warrior Brewery)and just hung out in the downtown area. I really liked this town and wouldn’t mind stopping there again. We made it to BR the next day and were glad to be , but we’ve already started to plan our next hike on the AT, but this time we will be better prepared and hopefully we can get 7-8 days on the trail.

4f176747611a32ac4624714c2d7309a8.jpg

20935c649950945f9fc7b4e4a616f270.jpg

e40650937ceda3efc9cf8509bbc7f662.jpg

ab9877c87048dc2763bd0fec9c130d84.jpg

cab1271ea4d8aa595436a2e07af090a5.jpg

46186bcaee5108ede5bf59579f3a0be3.jpg

6776d7cdd08d17f4640b3d30173c4f5f.jpg

eca62c4917595948921cd21f3395256e.jpg

5440515e9fdd710e932770f105f1e5cc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It was awesome. I miss being out on the trail. You get used to that nomad life pretty quick out there. Planning for my return trip already.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    When I grow up I want to be just like LABEEMAN! Truly your stories are motivational for a lot of people to get out there and do. I enjoy reading your post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom