50years ago today ...Where were you

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I wasn’t born yet but read the book. I was laid up from a work related MC crash and sent my wife to the library to grab a few books and she came back with that one. It was a very interesting read. I’m sure a lot to Louisiana residents have never heard of the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    There was a book written about it and all that lead up to it, including the New Year's Eve attack on Police HQ (CLU), that left Police Cadet Alfred Harrel dead. Essex fled from there and broke into a business not far away, setting off the alarm. Two K-9 Officers responded, Eddie Hosli, and Harold Blappert. Upon exiting their Police Units they were fired upon by Essex, and Hosli was gravely wounded. He would succumb to his injuries a few weeks later. I was in the Police Academy (which was delayed a week due to the Howard Johnson incident) at the time of his death. The name of the book is "A Terrible Thunder" by Peter Hernon.

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I was in 3rd grade being a little hellion that I was. I never heard about that until I was much older. But I did see a show about it once, crazy.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was in High School. My bus trasfer stop was at the Saratoga Building next door to the HoJo.

I remember watching it on live TV. They opened an AC unit to see if anyone was hiding in it (I don't know where there would have been room inside). I also remember that a group went out onto the roof after Essex was dead. They fired straight at the cinder block wall and took hits from ricochets, making them think at first that someone was shooting back.

Every day afterward on my bus ride home, I looked at the hole in the side of that building that had been blown through the HoJo logo.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I remember my Dad saying the Cops on the roof were getting hit by ricochets when it happened live. In the videos you can see people dropping when they charge the block house.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    50 years ago I don’t even think I was in my Paws sack yet considering I’m 32 going on 33 lol but I do remember hearing about this event years after the fact.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I was 11 living on Terry Parkway watching TV. Wan to say a channel 8 Sunday morning movie which were monster movies we kids loved. They cut in and covered the story. I hauled ass to a neighbors to tell my mom because she was a nurse and thought they may need her. Dad was working at his hospital already. Man it was a wild day and following week. There was no news from outside NOLA it seemed for days.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I still laugh when I think about Alec Gifford doing a live broadcast from the Emergency ramp at Charity Hospital while this was going on. He was wearing an old army helmet (steel pot) and an old Viet Nam era flak vest at the time. I wish I could find the picture. You would enjoy it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom