6.5 Creedmoor rifle build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    We got an order for a 6.5 Creedmoor so I thought I would document the build process to share with you guys.
    DSC_0274.jpg

The components for this project include:
    Surgeon 591 S/A
    Brux 6.5 MTU contour bbl
    Rifle Basix trigger set to 1lb 4oz
    McMillan A5 stock
    SSG DBM

The first step is to lap the lugs in on the 591 action to get solid contact on both lugs. After that is completed we take our action measurements to turn down and thread the bbl for the correct thread and tenon length.
    DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

Then, we chuck the Brux barrel up in the lathe and get it dialed in with less than 0.0001" runout. I use the Gritters method for this procedure and feel it is the absolute best way to dial a barrel in. I am NOT a fan of the range rod method. It seems you can dial a bbl in perfect with the range rod, take it out, put it back in, and the bbl wont be running true any more. All you've done is remove the range rod! I feel the method is flawed. Many accurate rifles are built using this method but the rifles I have been building are shooting around .25MOA so I'll continue using the Gritters method.
    DSC_0309.jpg

Once the barrel is dialed in we'll face off the chamber end to remove the makers markings on the bbl.
    DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

The next step is to cut the tenon to the correct length and diameter.
    DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

Follow that with threading.
    DSC_0297.jpg

Confirm action fit.
    DSC_0294.jpg

At this point, we will time the runout of the muzzle end of the bbl to the 12:00 position of the action. Because of the quality of the Brux bbl used in this build there was almost zero runout on the muzzle end. We do this step so that the high spot of the bore is pointing up and not way off to one side or the other.
    Since the action doesn't require indexing, we can move on to the bolt nose recess, finishing that off with a champfer.
    DSC_0298.jpg

Now we are ready to begin cutting the chamber. Some people will pre-drill and bore the chamber in this process. Since I am using a piloted reamer and have dialed in the first 3" of the bore running absolutely true, I'm going to let the bushing ride the bore to cut a chamber that is 100% true from the bolt face to the throat where the bullet will enter the rifling.
    DSC_0301.jpg

Once the chamber is cut to a headspace of +0.001 we champfer the chamber mouth and polish.
    DSC_0306.jpg

Now we are ready to remove the bbl from the lathe and work on the muzzle end. Some barrel manufactures believe it's a bad practice to cut the lead inch of the muzzle off in the lathe using a cut off tool thinking that it can induce stress in the bore causing a choke point. Because of this we use a horizontal band saw.
    DSC_0307.jpg

The muzzle end of the barrel is then dialed in exactly like the chamber end. We do this in an effort to have the crown perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bore. Since this rifle will have a brake on it, we measure the threads of the brake and turn down the muzzle and thread it after cutting the crown.
    DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

Since this particular brake require timing the action is installed and top dead center is marked.
    DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

The muzzle is now turned down and threaded 5/8x24 for the brake.
    DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Now we dial in the outside diameter of the barrel to contour the brake to match.
    DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

The final step in the brake install is to bore out the hole through the brake with clearance for the bullet.
    That completes the machine work on the barreled action. The bbl is then engraved and the barreled action is bedded into the stock. After the bedding cures we mount optics and take the rifle to the range.
    DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

Customer receives his rifle, fires 1 shot to zero rifle and then shoots this 5 shot .25MOA group using factory Hornady 140gr Amax ammo.
    IMG950620.jpg

Recorded velocity was 2840fps.

I hope you enjoyed the thread. We've uploaded a few videos of this work and others like it to our YouTube page.
    www.youtube.com/kgunz11

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Very nice!!

Did you find that the bolt lugs really needed to be lapped on the Surgeon before lapping them? I've got a 591 I marked with some blue layout that shows full contact on both surfaces straight from the factory.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Always enjoy seeing these types of threads by C. Dixon and the guy down in Florida (Suraz?) over on TheHide. Nice work and the proof is in the target.

Now I want my build even more. Should be here this month.

Last edited:

FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    I have yet to have a Surgeon in the shop that got adequate contact from my standards. That's not a dig against Surgeon, I just have high standards.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the read. Hopefully when we get caught up on pistol builds we can start turning out some rifles as well.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Looks awesome, how do you like Brux barrels? I need a barrel for my 223 build and dont know whether to wait for a Rock or just go with the in stock Brux.

And, I have to ask, what is your lead time on rifle builds?

Last edited:

FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    Looks awesome, how do you like Brux barrels? I need a barrel for my 223 build and dont know whether to wait for a Rock or just go with the in stock Brux.

And, I have to ask, what is your lead time on rifle builds?

I wouldn't pass up the Brux. Some of the best quality I've seen and they shoot lights out.

Lead time depends on components. If you were supplying the components I could have something for you within 4 weeks of receipt of the parts. That includes the Cerakote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom