6.5x55 Swedish, Gotta learn a good load now!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    So...my husband bought a few guns, among them was a Swedish M96 rifle (1915), which I promptly claimed!
    I want to try my hand at the vintage rifle matches, and while I really wanted a Springfield 1903, I decided the 6.5 would be much easier on my old shoulder than an '06.

Now to work up a good load for it. I've done a little reading and decided, if I find some, I'll get PPU factory loads for future donor brass, if no Lapua pops up at a gunshow. Seems that several folks commented on various forums about the Remington brass, it has a different rim diameter than European-produced brass, which can affect the useable life of the brass.

Not by any means an expert in handloading, I did all my BP cartridge loads, pistol & shotgun, for Cowboy Action shooting, but nothing like this, so it will be interesting. My husband has a fair amount of loading experience, not sure if he ever did rifle loads, though. We'll see.

I understand that the 6.5x55 likes slower burning powders and 120-140 gr for accuracy, also found lots of "pet" loads posted. But I'm conservative, and would like to start with a recipe in an established data book. Smokeless powder is a WHOLE lot less forgiving than the Holy Black!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have had decent results with a 142 Grain Jacketed Bullet on top IMR 4350 from a publishe data. My advise would be to stay away from post saying to load right off the lands because of it having a long throat. Also stay away from post mentioning the use of Reloader 17. I have had horrific results with R17 and loading right off the lands. Amazing my gun survived.

If you follow what is in published manuals you should be good.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I did read about loading long, a few folks also advised not to in the M96. A lot of the posts I read, the guys were loading for modern production bolt guns, not the old warhorse, and upping the velocities.
    I will be looking at the gunshows for the odd box or 2 of loaded ammo, just so I can pop off some rounds. And the heavier projectiles. Will also keep an eye out for those powders, see which is available and reasonably priced!

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Which reloading dies are y'all using? RCBS, Hornady, Lee? 2 or 3 piece? This won't be a mass production kind of loading, I'll probably be using the Ol' Faithful Rockchucker.

landmancpl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Carencro
    Data from another reloading manual:

Shows 140 gr Bullet:

IMR 3031, 30.9 gr to 36 gr. MAX
    H4895, 31.8 gr to 37.2 gr. MAX
    IMR 4064, 33.5 gr to 38.3 gr. MAX
    IMR 4350, 36.8 Gr to 44 gr. MAX

Shows 160 gr Bullet:

IMR 3031, 30.2 gr to 34gr. MAX
    H4895, 31.9 gr to 36 gr. MAX
    IMR 4064, 33.4 gr to 35.1 gr. MAX
    IMR 4350, 34.9 Gr to 42 gr. MAX

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Thanks landmancpl. Those loads are for jacketed bullets?
    What kind of velocities were those loads indicating?

I ended up finding a guy helping a buddy clear out his father's estate. Had lots of reloading stuff and I got a Redding die set, with a trim die, and 2 boxes of cast, gas checked bullets, 155 grain, sized at .265 that I plan to use in reduced velocity loads, and a basic chronograph.

I will be looking at gunshows for the older Lyman books for cast loads. And powder!

None of the reloading books my husband has, have any 6.5 Swede loads, cast or otherwise.

landmancpl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Carencro
    Thanks landmancpl. Those loads are for jacketed bullets? YES
    What kind of velocities were those loads indicating? 140 Grain Bullets, 2300-2700; 160 Grain Bullets, 2200-2600

I ended up finding a guy helping a buddy clear out his father's estate. Had lots of reloading stuff and I got a Redding die set, with a trim die, and 2 boxes of cast, gas checked bullets, 155 grain, sized at .265 that I plan to use in reduced velocity loads, and a basic chronograph.

I will be looking at gunshows for the older Lyman books for cast loads. And powder!

None of the reloading books my husband has, have any 6.5 Swede loads, cast or otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom