Illegal immigrant sues board patrol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    YUMA, AZ – An illegal immigrant who was struck and severely injured by a U.S. Border Patrol vehicle that also hit and killed his daughter is suing the government.

Lawyers for Juan Cruz Torralva accuse Border Patrol agent Gregorio Garcia of driving recklessly on the night of March 5, 2006, when he ran over Cruz and his 12-year-old daughter, Lourdes Cruz Morales, in the desert near Dateland, Ariz.

Cruz and his daughter were on the final leg of a three-day trek across the border when they were hit. According to the suit filed last month in U.S. District Court in Tucson, Garcia was driving across the desert after another group of illegal immigrants at such a high rate of speed that he could not control his pickup or avoid hitting Cruz and his daughter.

The Border Patrol has said previously that Garcia never saw the father and daughter because they were hidden behind a bush that was in the path of the vehicle.
    Lourdes died at the scene. Cruz was briefly held by authorities on a child endangerment charge after he was released from a hospital, but Yuma County prosecutors declined to file formal charges.

“There are collateral damages to Mr. Cruz Torralva for which he is suing,” said the family’s attorney, Candy Camarena of Yuma. “He was left incapacitated for life. He returned to Oaxaca, where he is from. He is a peaceful, honest, working man who lost his daughter.”

Spokesmen for the Border Patrol’s Yuma Sector headquarters declined to comment on the lawsuit. Jaime Castillo, spokesman for the Border Patrol in Washington, D.C., said he had no information about the lawsuit and could not comment.

Named with the patrol and Garcia as defendants are the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified compensatory damages for Cruz for crippling injuries and for the death of his daughter.

“The fact that he didn’t follow the legal process for immigrating to the country is no justification for taking the life of his daughter and leaving him incapacitated for life,” Camarena said.

Wow. :ugh: :thumbsdown:

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    My Cruz is a law abiding hard working citzen..... WTF??? He was illegally in the country and he was hid behind a bush in the ******* desert at night... Did he know he was breaking the law??? Yes.... Should he be compensated for that??

HELL NO!!!

What is wrong with this country???:mad:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    This is the reason why we need much better immegration reform. The fence? Yeah, illegals are building it. There goes that theory... They are going to come here, we need a better way to deal with it. However, I do not agree that the officer, barring a violation of human rights - and not a civil affair - should be held accountable for injuries incurred by a migrant illegally crossing into the border.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    WTF? Actually, I believe in this instance Mr. Torralva should be charged with felony murder for the death of his daughter, since it happened while committing a felony. Am I wrong here?

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is the reason why we need much better immegration reform. The fence? Yeah, illegals are building it. There goes that theory... They are going to come here, we need a better way to deal with it.

well if they come here they should work for it and get legal asap. That"s what my family had to do. Now they're all legal tax paying citizens. And now the Dems just want to give citizenship away? We worked hard and payed a lot to be come Americans. Why can't they do the same. All they're going to do with their citizenship is work, collect from our government and send their money back to their homeland.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    +1^. My mom did the same after WWII, and she was a Brit who served the allies. Even was married to a vet, and had his kids. Why should anyone else get a pass?? I wonder how a lawsuit on this would turn out if it goes to a jury. hmmmmm

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    well if they come here they should work for it and get legal asap. That"s what my family had to do. Now they're all legal tax paying citizens. And now the Dems just want to give citizenship away? We worked hard and payed a lot to be come Americans. Why can't they do the same. All they're going to do with their citizenship is work, collect from our government and send their money back to their homeland.

Hey, my family came over here on boats in the last generation, so you're preaching to the choir. Dems don't want to 'give away' citizenship. It's irresponsible to say that what is going on now is working. It's not. Far from it. Do you really think the fence is going to do any good? Nope. There needs to be a comprehensive plan on migrant workers. Not everyone wants to be a US citizen, but the do want the high wages and education that we have here. Not everyone here wants to work like a slave on a farm or in the field, but they do have alot from the southern americas that do. Well, that's supply and demand. We've got to solve it. It won't ever end.

I've got a ton of friends (best friend is married) that are vietnamese. The ones I know that run their own little corner store have a good gig going on with ...ahem... profit and loss notices to the IRS. They also have shops in Birmingham. I'm not saying all are running an angle, but there is a reason why there is a little box of cash BELOW the register and that's where most of the money goes...lol

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I still don't get it.... the man was here ILLEGALLY, therefore any harm that comes to him while here is of NO concern or liability to the American citizens. He should feel lucky to be alive and lucky to have been admitted to the hospital, which we all know he won't be paying that bill.

The Border Patrol Agent was doing his job, not his fault the person who was here that wasn't supposed to be decided to hide behind a bush and that bush was run over in the process of chasing other illegals. He should be declared immune to any prosecution in this case and the plaintiff should be deported.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hey, The Chinese did it with a huge maned wall. They kept the mongols out for hundreds of years.

What if the next guy that illegally gets into the country is a terrorist? what then? This is a national security and economic problem.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Hey, The Chinese did it with a huge maned wall. They kept the mongols out for hundreds of years.

What if the next guy that illegally gets into the country is a terrorist? what then? This is a national security and economic problem.

You're comparing the Chinese keeping the mongols out to this? Yes, I agree, if we could pro-actively burn villages bordering the wall and then kill and stake the heads of trespassers on the wall, that would deter people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I still don't get it.... the man was here ILLEGALLY, therefore any harm that comes to him while here is of NO concern or liability to the American citizens. He should feel lucky to be alive and lucky to have been admitted to the hospital, which we all know he won't be paying that bill.

The Border Patrol Agent was doing his job, not his fault the person who was here that wasn't supposed to be decided to hide behind a bush and that bush was run over in the process of chasing other illegals. He should be declared immune to any prosecution in this case and the plaintiff should be deported.

+1

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    +1x10^10 - I can not agree more!

My mother side was straight off the boat from Europe after WWII, married a soldier(pop-pop) that stormed the beaches of Normandy & SURVIVED & then went on to fight for almost another year throughout Europe. They still got treated like prisoners before finally getting their citizenship. That was a long time ago though.

I have Laos & Vietnamese friends and their family has gone through the ringers with the citizenship bill. They had spent money to become US citizens & the money they make here, they put back into the community, of course, they have VERY strong bonds with family back home & they do send some money to them because they know they were not as fortunate to come to America the "legal" way and live the American dream. I also have some "Hispanic" friends, that went through the proper chain of command and they HATE illegal "boarder hopping" immigrants for the above mentioned story.

The guy in the original story is a tool. He basically pissed on the US, boarder patrol guys busting their a$$es (with little to no sleep addressing a redundant act) and the people that with due diligence go through the correct process of becoming a US citizen, by pulling the stunt he did & got his child killed in the process, which is very unfortunate, but put your self & your family in a dangerous situation and bad stuff can happen. I am SURE he knew the risks before he attempted this illegal crossing into our country, esp with all the guys down there working double time due to the recent storms. I mean, he was hiding in the dark, in the dessert & the patrol was running at night doing their best to fulfill the job task assigned to them.

I know the US citizenship process is a long and arduous one, but so is obtaining a class 3 permit! ;) Anyway. I am done ranting. *passing the soap box*

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    You're comparing the Chinese keeping the mongols out to this? Yes, I agree, if we could pro-actively burn villages bordering the wall and then kill and stake the heads of trespassers on the wall, that would deter people.

obviously I was kidding about that but that would be awesome! Maybe that'll help keep their drug war from crossing our borders!

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    best thing you ever posted :bigok:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I can't say anything. I'm half mexican. My great-great grandfather crossed the border. So if not for him, I wouldn't be here today.

Unless you are a native american, everyones ancestors came into this country at some point. I've researched my ancestry back many generations. I know which ones came in on a boat from overseas and which ones crossed the rio grande.

that said, I do think things are much different now from 100 years ago. I have no problem with the current border patrol system.

if Bush was really worried about terrorists coming into the country, there would be an inpenetrable wall on our mexican and canadian borders.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I'm surprised that they hadn't arrested THIS Border Patrol agent (for vehicular manslaughter) and put him in Federal Prison with the other 2 agents that got into a shoot out with Mexican Drug dealer from 2 yrs ago.

Sad thing about that one is that the drug dealer has already served his time and has been "deported" back to Mexico while our 2 agents "THAT WERE DOING THEIR SWORN DUTY", not only protecting their OWN lives still sit in the Federal Prison.

By the way, they were all prosecuted by the same US Attorney. How ****** up is that?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    **** a fence dig a big ass canyon with cliffs that cant be scaled and use the dirt for levy protection.

I am not native American, and yet my family founded this country. Now the land was here before them.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.

Finally.. Thinking the right way..

A few heads on Stakes at Tiajuana , and Matamoros will certainly deter them.. Im all for it.... When do we start..

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom