WTS 1952 stevens 311a sbs 12 auage SOLD......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmbold

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Up for sale is a 1952 stevens 311a 12 gauge sbs shotgun. Gun is stamped with a small circle with a D inside between the trigger and hinge, this dates it to 1952. Stocks are tight, pictured is the discoloration in the rear stock. Asking $180, FTF in the Baton Rouge or Denham area.DSC01505.jpgDSC01501.jpgDSC01506.jpgDSC01507.jpgDSC01502.jpg

Last edited:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Haven't seen this one in person but for anyone looking for a good, solid, utliltarian side x side shotgun, you can't go wrong with the Model 311. I had a 20 gauge years ago and foolishly got rid of it. Recently found a 12 gauge very much like the one pictured and felt I got a bargain at $200.00+. If I hadn't already spent the family's milk money this week on guns I'd be all over this. If the action's tight and the bores are bright with no dents, someone's going to get a great gun at a great price.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Double trigger or single - Stevens and Steven / Fox made both? Also, (probably a dumb question) any idea of chokes? And I would assume it's 2 3/4".

Thanks,
    Marc Price

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have a buddy who's been shooting steel shot through a 1966 Browning 3" 12ga Superposed O/U choked full/full since steel shot was mandated in the 1970's. He hunts like a fool in numerous locations (Gueydan to Pass a Loutre) from special teal season through goose conservation season. He shoot's #4 steel or BB bismuth (which is not unyielding like steel). He sent the gun in to be refurbished by Browning a few seasons back. They said the gun is still choked full/full with no degradation of the choke. I've researched and read countless pages on this topic and have concluded, that unless the gun has extreme sentimental value to you, is made of Damascus steel, or is of great intrinsic value (Perazzi, Merkel, etc..) and you don't want to take even the slightest chance, load it up and shoot steel sized #2 or smaller.

Remington now indicates use of steel shot in their older fixed full choke barrels for shot sizes #1 and smaller.

That having been written, I personally would not shoot BBB or T sized steel shot through ANY 12ga shotgun that I cared about. If I did, I would certainly not choke tighter than Modified. I believe there is an increased chance of splitting or ring-bulging your barrel due to the phenomenon called shot-bridging. That occurs when the very hard, unyielding steel shot flies from the parallel section of the barrel into the choke in a rectilinear fashion (lined-up) and the "bridged", non-giving shot puts too much internal pressure on the choke and, by extension, the barrel causing damage as the shot bursts through the choke area. Imagine two large men trying to walk through a door side-by-side and hitting each others shoulders and the door frame on each side as they attempt to go through.

Shoot steel in that $180 shotgun, just don't go larger than about #2 shot in steel or harder tungsten based shot.

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom