what would you pay for a nice sharpening on your knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Just got off the phone with a old customer and a friend earlier today and they both said the same thing. They asked me to sharpen a couple knives for them. I told them is shaving sharp okay and they said that would be awesome. Well after they got their knives they said I should think about sharpening services. Never really thought about it. What would you pay for a good sharpening. I was thinking 5$ per knife plus shipping. Obviously if you send more then one shipping wont be nearly as bad. BTW if you ever bought a knife from me I used to not sharpen them to shaving sharp due to one guy saying he doesn't like a edge so fine and thin (he said he prefers to sharpen it himself) :( but I think I took it to heart and shouldn't have. If you have or ever do buy a knife from me pay postage and all sharpening is free. Im not gonna hold back on sharpening anymore due to that one person.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    They're use to be a guy at the gun show for $1-2 he would have it shaving sharp, but to be completely honest I couldn't see paying someone $5 to sharpen a knife.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think the booths at the gun shows charge $4 and spend less than 5 minutes on it. I let them do one of my knives and it was better but not great.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Someone in the Franklinton area sharpens knives and charges $5 each which is fair for excellent work.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Can you re-tip a blade? I have an old Buck knife I got from my uncle that took a drop onto concrete and knocked the tip off. I'd pay to get it retipped and sharpened for sure.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I can redo the tip unless its like a huge chunk broken off then need to regind.

As for sharpening I use stones including japanese waterstones, paper wheels and buffers, and also a wicked edge system. Whatever I feel suits the situationa dn will get me the best results I use. Occasional I have used belts also.

This is the polished edge I always aim for

IMG_0487.jpg

jgreg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    I got a knife sharpened at an academy grand opening a vendor of course trying to sell a company product not impressed at all I beleive he was repping smith which does make quality sharpening tools if you buy the good stuff but 5.00 bucks is good if shipping is not too bad but fuel has us all by the kahunas

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It would nice if someone offered reprofiling of blades and different grinds. Sharpening is one thing and it can be done easily at home, but I don't trust myself convexing a knife or going from a chisel grind to a saber grind.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    It would nice if someone offered reprofiling of blades and different grinds. Sharpening is one thing and it can be done easily at home, but I don't trust myself convexing a knife or going from a chisel grind to a saber grind.
    Yeah personally its easier for me to just grind a new knife vs reginding due to the fact that the steel isnt hardened yet and I dotn have to worry about over heating and ruining the heat treatment on the knfie already. Small CHanges and fixes arnt bad. Ive fixed a few broken tips and what not.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom