1911? which one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    alright, pending the sale of my revolver i will be purchasing my first 1911. I was going to order a STI Spartan V from my local shop and dont expect to pay much over $700 out the door, i have an offer for a stainless Springfield loaded 1911 with fresh springs from a member for the same price.

What to do what to do.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Researching the 1911 forums and xdtalk has me leaning with the SA. I will not be competeing for now. STI seems to be the way to go for a competition gun.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If it aint a Pony its a Phony!
    Thats all I have to say about that.

They just don't make them like they used to. Now a series 70 with the O package would be nice, but that'd be double what the Springer or STI is..... then you can just get a Lawman, Dan Wesson, TRP.... which are as good or better.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    mostly just a nice range toy, might carry it once in a blue moon when i get to that point. SA and STI are well reviewed with STI leaning towards competition use it seems. Both are about equal on reliability from what I can tell.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I like my SA loaded. Had some work done to it to lighten trigger and a few other things. I haven't had a problem. I dont have much experience with the STI.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I am also looking for a full sized 1911. Am I looking in the wrong place at Kimber and Sig?

The big issue people have with Kimber is their drop safety system (Schwartz system). In the Kimber II series... I think the Warrior is the one that doesn't have it.

The big issue people have with Sig, is the external extractor and the slide isn't milled right. I think they have a more traditional model, but it still has the external extractor.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Um, the correct answer is to get both. I didn't have enough cash to cover an STI and a Springfield, and I ended up with a STI Trojan and Loaded MC Operator within a week. I am already planning my next STI purchase....

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Um, the correct answer is to get both. I didn't have enough cash to cover an STI and a Springfield, and I ended up with a STI Trojan and Loaded MC Operator within a week. I am already planning my next STI purchase....
    I still want the STI, but college doesn't let me get stuff as fast as I would like.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    The big issue people have with Kimber is their drop safety system (Schwartz system). In the Kimber II series... I think the Warrior is the one that doesn't have it.

The big issue people have with Sig, is the external extractor and the slide isn't milled right. I think they have a more traditional model, but it still has the external extractor.
    Don't know if I'd want a external extractor on a 1911....looks non 1911ish. On a side not, i shoulda bought that ammo from you, saw what .45 auto prices were for the first time today. W-O-W. But I'm ordering some VZ operator II grips in black sand. Slim line and the thumbhole cut should help me hit the magazine release. May still have to get an extended one. Magazine release are just horrible for me. So far the only gun stock i can use the mag release on is H&K, i just use my shooting finger. Very good, yes? Luckily my glock was easy and cheap to change, and if i have to on this 1911, i can do it.

Top Bottom