Bore Snakes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    I am wanting to pick up a few bore snakes. I can get them from cheaper than dirt for $20 a pop.

I need them for 9mm pistols, 270 rifle, 6.8 rifle (I am assuming the 270 will work on both since its basically the same, correct?) and for 22 rifles and pistol, and a 12 gauge.

So thats 4 snakes for $80 thru Cheaper than Dirt.

Anyone know of a better deal?

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope. That is about what I have seen them for. Academy has them as a kit with cleaner and lube for 21.00. However, they rarely have pistol calibers. Mostly rifles.

I have bore snakes for all my weapons. Love em.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Academy was about $17.00 for the ones I got.

I would get the .22 first to try it & see if you like it. It works great but is not a subsitute for a rod, brush, jag & patch in terms of perfect cleaning. It is not as bad as many report on the web. It is pretty impressive. Very easy to do cleaning immediately after shooting with barrel still warm.

I use the .22 the most (.22 & .223).

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Like said above, they are good for a quick cleaning, but will not clear lead/copper fouling. So every so often a good traditional cleaning is still required. I use them every time and IIRC Academy had a good price. They come in a nylon pouch now with some No. 9 and oil. The pouch is great for storage.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you're in Slidell, Bill over at Bullet and Blade has them for either $16 or $18 (at least he did when I bought one there)

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    have a 9mm bore snake you can have. I used it a few times.. I like the factory stuff better for some reason.

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    Crud, I ordered 2 thru CTD 2 days ago. If I like them and decide to get the ones for the other calibers I will give them a try. Thanks for the link!

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    I have been a little anal about always cleaning my guns after shooting 20 years of of always cleaning 3 times after ever shooting it .
    I have cleaning rods But I use bore snakes I have got one for every bore size I have
    I also shoot cast lead bullets in 2 of my Xd's and I have no lead build up I still use qtips and a rag and toothbrush and a chamber brush for my rife but only bore snakes for the bore I love them
    But some pepole do not
    by one and try it maybe use someone frist

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    I feel my boresnake does not "do the job" by itself on my carbine. I use it as my last step, after I've soaked the barrel with Hoppe's on a patch, then with a brush run through several times with more Hoppes. Then a clean patch, the snake, and finished with a clean patch...or two or three or four, depending on what it takes to get a clean patch. The snake does speed up that part of cleaning, though. :)

Tried once using just the snake after passing through a patch soaked with Hoppe's, and there was still quite a bit of copper fouling.

Top Bottom