80% Lower Completion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A machine shop would need a license to do that as they would be making a firearm. The point of an 80% is to do it yourself.

Corvette Racer

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I read an article on ARFCOM that stated as long as YOU press the start button, YOU are making the weapon and the shop is in the clear. You just can't sell it.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not sure as to the truth to it, since I haven't dealt with it personally, but I heard first hand that one interpretation is that if a firearm part is made on the premises of the business, ANY part, and the insurance company finds out, they could cancel the policy. Again, I'm not sure as to the truth of that, but it does sound plausible.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I read an article on ARFCOM that stated as long as YOU press the start button, YOU are making the weapon and the shop is in the clear. You just can't sell it.

While I am sure that would be a good defense. Would anyone like to try the atf on this?

I wouldn't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central

Well thats wrong.
    First you certainly can sell them. They must be marked with who and where and a ser# if I remember right.
    Second, Yes, you can push the button but they would still need an 07 FFL. Thats not what you asked though.

Lots of people finish 80% lowers and you don't need a CNC. I know someone who did it with a wood router and did it well.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I live in Metairie and need help with this too. I am planning on buying a NDS 80% A1 lower for a retro build. If someone owns the equipment needed, and could walk me though the process, I would certainly appreciate the help.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Along the same response as above, I have seen nice ones done with dremel. IIRC there are 80% composite matl lowers available. 100% lowers are $49.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I thought about doing the 80% thing back during the scare...but with lowers so cheap these days and the market flooded, I just picked up a couple 100% lowers

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I have a few 100% lowers, and it's not like I want an 80% so I can hide it from the government, in fact I was planning to Form 1 it. I wanted to use a 80% for ideal engraving placement. I was want to build an Israeli M16A1 style rifle. I can't afford the $$$ for a real M16 and the only A1 profiled 100% lowers I have seen are from Nodak spud, and they obviously have their info engraved on the side. I wanted one that lookes like a genuine colt, with my Trust info place near the trigger to keep it out of the way.

While people may have completed 80% lowers with a dremel, I don't think I am one of those people. I would definitely need someone showing me how it is done step by step. I know I could always build one on a 100% A2 lower, or a 100% NDS A1 lower and it would be 99% correct, but I am kind of anal about perfection, and know it would constantly bug me.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have never done an 80% or built an AR for that matter. I have found that some people can make these tasks look simple and then I try and get significantly different results. I run a CNC lathe every day but have difficulty with the "freehand machining" and other stuff. I have great difficulty drawing a picture of what I need. When I look at the guns from late 1800's to early 1900's, I am awestruck by the craftsmanship employed to achieve that product because that was mostly handmade with hand tools.
    I realized after responding that this thread is almost two years old.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Well thats wrong.
    First you certainly can sell them. They must be marked with who and where and a ser# if I remember right.
    Second, Yes, you can push the button but they would still need an 07 FFL. Thats not what you asked though.

Lots of people finish 80% lowers and you don't need a CNC. I know someone who did it with a wood router and did it well.
    you can't legally sell an 80% that you finished. you would need an 07 for that. You are free to sell them as long as they are 80%. ATF just released a clarification on this.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    you can't legally sell an 80% that you finished. you would need an 07 for that. You are free to sell them as long as they are 80%. ATF just released a clarification on this.

That is not correct but what rockmup said is.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#commercial-parts-assembly

"Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future."

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a few 100% lowers, and it's not like I want an 80% so I can hide it from the government, in fact I was planning to Form 1 it. I wanted to use a 80% for ideal engraving placement. I was want to build an Israeli M16A1 style rifle. I can't afford the $$$ for a real M16 and the only A1 profiled 100% lowers I have seen are from Nodak spud, and they obviously have their info engraved on the side. I wanted one that lookes like a genuine colt, with my Trust info place near the trigger to keep it out of the way.

While people may have completed 80% lowers with a dremel, I don't think I am one of those people. I would definitely need someone showing me how it is done step by step. I know I could always build one on a 100% A2 lower, or a 100% NDS A1 lower and it would be 99% correct, but I am kind of anal about perfection, and know it would constantly bug me.

I will assume you don't have a CNC or mill. A drill press has been used as a makeshift mill but that is not ideal for an aluminum lower because a drill is not designed for side to side forces, only up and down. I recommend using the router based method, specifically the Easy Jig from 80% Arms. Maybe wait until Black Friday and I think they will have a 10% off coupon.

Videos of the Easy Jig in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNGFRvo0gE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHdV5slQps

Review of the Easy Jig:

http://80percents.com/80_lower_easy_jig.html

Do you have an ETA on the NDS Retro 80% lower? Is the Israeli M16A1 an SBR?

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Thanks for the info. I'll wait until black Friday and see if they have a sale. I didn't grow up fixing or building things, so my skills are low. My dad may have a router I can borrow. NDS emailed me last week letting me know the 80% lowers were available. I haven't paid for one yet, since I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish the project. Maybe I should put in the order to make sure I have it.

The Israelis Don't waste so they use whatever they have but a stereotypical Israeli m16 would be a A1 lower/upper with a CAR or M4 stock. Ocassionaly you will see an A1 stock. You also ocassionaly see flat top uppers. I think most of the barrels are 20in 1:12 barrels cut down to 13in. I'm not sure what they use when the old barrels get shot out. Maybe they have lots of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom