FS/FT - S&W 642 for $400 or trade for G19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I have a much carried, seldom shot S&W 642 in very good condition with Hogue grips that needs a new home to fund a 2nd gen G19 hunt.

The 642 has about 2-300 rounds thru it, and it has very minor finish issues from pocket carry.

Specs,;

cal. 38+P
    cap. 5 rounds
    barrel 1 7/8"
    weight 15oz.
    frame size small(J)

The pistol comes in the original hard case with all papers, keys, and lock as well as original grips(not shown);

IMG_0687.jpg

As shown here, the gun is in great condition;

IMG_0686.jpg

This photo shows the finish wear on the backstrap (it doesn't look as bad in person);

IMG_0684.jpg

This photo shows the finish wear on the bottom of the trigger guard;

IMG_0685.jpg

All in all, a great revolver for CCW in very good condition for $400 OTD.

Can you help it find a new home?:) ;)

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Just as an FYI...I have a 642 just like that that was having similar finish issues and sent it back to S&W recently. They completely refinished it had had it back in my hands within 2 weeks-no charge! Evidently, there were some issues with the application of the original finish on some of these that they have now corrected. Pretty awsome customer service if you ask me.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Just as an FYI...I have a 642 just like that that was having similar finish issues and sent it back to S&W recently. They completely refinished it had had it back in my hands within 2 weeks-no charge! Evidently, there were some issues with the application of the original finish on some of these that they have now corrected. Pretty awsome customer service if you ask me.

Hmm.....I have a 342ti that's doing the same thing on the backstrap....i'll have to look into that.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Its the clearcoat they apply to the natural metal (aluminum) frames. There was a LONG run of bad work on 642s; it simply peels off. That's what you see in those photos. Haven't heard of any 342s with the problem, but then they didn't make a whole lot of 342s. BTW, Joel, your 342 has the same sort of aluminum frame and yoke as a 642. The differences are a shrouded barrel and titanium cylinder.

S&W is well aware of this peeling anodization problem, and will fix it for free. In fact, they will probably send a prepaid label if you call them.

Hmm....if I hadn't have seen this thread, I would've just though it was normal wear and tear. I'm glad I know now. Tomorrow i'll call S&W. :)

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Actually, what happened was I tried to clean it with Gunscrubber and it took the finish right off. I double checked the label to make sure there weren't any warnings about it and I checked the S&W website and didn't see anything so I just told them what I did and they sent me a mailing label. I stressed how I have used GS for years on my other guns without an issue and that's when they told me about the problems they were having with some of the 642's.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I have contacted S&W and got them to send me a call tag for the 642 to go back for refinishing. So, for now, the gun sale is off the table. When it returns all sparkling new, i'll re-post it for sale.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom