922(r) Compliance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    OK, here's the deal. I received a STG 58 in a trade and I am almost certain that this gun is NOT 922(r) compliant. What are the most common parts to get me there?

I was thinking I could grab a complete lower half from DSA, a US made gas piston, and possibly a US made flash hider. What else, if anything, would I need to grab in order to get my parts count down in the 10 or less game?

The rifle was built with a Imbel Gear Logo receiver and is currently in two halves.:(

EDIT: DOH, I just caught the post at the bottom regarding 922(r) compliance.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    The cheapest way is with a Hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, pistol grip, mag follower and floorplate. Other parts usually changed are the buttstock and handguards and the muzzle device. Fals need seven parts.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I was thinking I could grab a complete lower half from DSA, a US made gas piston, and possibly a US made flash hider. What else, if anything, would I need to grab in order to get my parts count down in the 10 or less game?

Wait a minute.....why would you need a DSA lower half? Your lower receiver is fine. Not a compliant part but that's cool it is one of the best!

JUst check out the post you said you found about 922R, I think I color coded the easiest/cheapest parts to change.....
    Let me know if I can help!

KT

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    read 922r, it only applies to the person that built the weapon, not the person that possess it

Only problem, the way the BATFE's burden of proof goes, how am I supposed to prove that I did not build the rifle? Truthfully, I don't know the first thing about properly headspacing a FAL. Also, I never purchased a FAL kit or a FAL receiver on a form 4473. Regardless, my gut feeling tells me that probably wouldn't be enough evidence on my part to prove that I didn't assemble the rifle.:(

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    read 922r, it only applies to the person that built the weapon, not the person that possess it

I dont understand this statement.If the gun has the required ammount of US parts its compliant if it dont then it aint.Are you saying that you dont have to have any on your gun if your not the guy who built it?So I can buy one from Century and remove the US parts and replace them with original parts and the gun will not be illegal?

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I dont understand this statement.If the gun has the required ammount of US parts its compliant if it dont then it aint.Are you saying that you dont have to have any on your gun if your not the guy who built it?So I can buy one from Century and remove the US parts and replace them with original parts and the gun will not be illegal?

X1000!!

One MUST remember there is NO GRAY area with BATFE there is ONLY BLACK and WHITE!

922R parts are just too cheap when compared to the consequences!!!
    And always remember, the BURDEN of proof lies in the hands of the beholder!

KT

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    This is how I see it:

If you change the parts back to original you have to disassemble it, and assemble it with the original parts . SO you are the one who assembles it (or someone assembles it for you) still it would be non-compliant, and YOU as the owner will face the consequences.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Unless the nessasary parts you replace are on the rest of the gun so you could use any mag you wanted.Thats how I do mine.

Right. I was just arguing what constitutes "building". Unless you have something with a fixed magazine, like an SKS, the whole "I didn't assemble it" argument is moot. And I wouldn't want to try and convince the ATF someone else did it anyway.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Just what is "building" has been debated to death. The ATF considers the "builder" or "manufacturer" to be the person who bends the flat or drills the first hole in the blank - or in the case of an FAL presses out the receiver. Whether you're the one who violates the 922 rule or not is irrelevant to who is the builder. If your friend hands you an AK with 3 US-made parts, and you put your foreign-made magazine into it, then you have violated the 922r rule, but you're not the builder.

On the other hand, in that situation its doubtful that the ATF would care to go after you unless you run into an ATF guy having a bad day.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Well think about it like this. A magazine can count for as many as 3 compliant parts, Body, Follower, Floor Plate. So lets say you use these three parts to make your rifle 922R compliant. Now you remove the mag. Basically all you have is a single shot rifle! No big deal! Now you decide to shoot a 10 round group, so you grab mag #2 BUT it only has a USA made floor plate, the body and follower are Belgian made NOW you are two parts out of compliance......Well guess what......YOU..... have just assembled, built, manufactured (call it what you wish) an illegal rifle! NO GRAY AREA! It's BLACK and WHITE!!
    Now, it's YOUR business how you handle and or follower 922R compliance. GOOD LUCK!

KT

Last edited:
    Top Bottom