My Son's Christmas Present with 2nd gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Not his only gift; but the most sentimental to me. My brother and I were talking and I asked him what firearms he had and he mentioned this one. Well he has no kids and my son is his Godson, and this is the first firearm I ever shot. It is an old crack barrel .410 that we grew up using and I didn't know what had happened to it. So, low and behold I got it from him to give to my son for Christmas. My son is 11 and I gave him a Model 60 for his birthday this year.

Should I redo the stock or not?
    What about the receiver should I redo that if so how?

Thanks

CASH026.jpg

CASH027.jpg

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Refinish it together as a father-son project. He will learn about refinishing, take down, reassembly, and all the workings of a simple firearm. Then you can move up to him building his first AR next week. That's the way I would explain it to my wife,"honey it's for him."

Good Luck

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    That was the first shotgun my dad ever bought me, and its the first shotgun my oldest will ever get. Give it to him as is, and let him decide whether or not you two refinish it together, or if he lets it stay the way he got it. Personally, wouldn't refinish a weapon my father gave me, then again I've never received one in quite that condition.

Great gift btw, perfect age for it too.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd refinish it. Its not a collectable, and even if it was, he wouldn't resell it. I'd get it reblued or parked. Ya'll can refinish the wood at home.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The receiver isn't rusted it is flaking off. I'm scared if I was to remove this material what ever it is that it would remove the serial number which is a :nono:
    Does anyone know for certain.

The wood's horrible condition is only cosmetic thankfully

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's really cool. I have the same .410 in the Junior size (shorter barrel and stock) I've had forever. If you're interested for your son let me know. I know that one's sentimental, but it might be cool to have one his size too if he has any trouble handling that one. I'd sell it cheap just because it would go great with yours.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    yea i would re blue it with him,,but leave the wood stock gives the gun a personality and reminds him of where it came from...cool gift

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    That's really cool. I have the same .410 in the Junior size (shorter barrel and stock) I've had forever. If you're interested for your son let me know. I know that one's sentimental, but it might be cool to have one his size too if he has any trouble handling that one. I'd sell it cheap just because it would go great with yours.

PM sent

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    I'm all for the father son project too!
    He'll never forget, and may do the same for his child when he has his own family and can share the story with his child.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I ummmm I mean Santa Clause got my oldest (9 at the time) a 870 youth model .20ga. We duck hunt though, so youre limited on shell choice, as far as I know .410 steel shot is very hard if not impossible to come by, and a second, and/or 3rd shot is usually handy

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    Great gift/starter and to redo it with dad would be priceless memory. Shooting a .410 at cans, clay pigeons proped up and would be great for his first squirrel hunt. It won't pound him like a 20ga and sure is a lot lighter to carry. Some people down play the .410 but it is a very capable round and never let your son forget that.

Top Bottom