9mm guns for USPSA Production?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    All,

I went and shot at Poplarville this past weekend. You'll notice my name at the bottom of the score sheet (except for the guy who DNF apparently) I need some serious work and did horribly, but I had a great time doing it. The guys (and gal) were awesome and very friendly and helpful.

I shot my Glock 30 (.45 ACP) and just noticed how expensive it is to shoot .45 ACP out there. Plus all the ammo I need to shoot to practice and I'm looking at a huge financial investment just to keep the gun running (and its not a very good gun for the sport). I do not own a 9mm pistol and have been meaning to get around to purchase one and figured this is about the best excuse I might have.

Now I do realize that it was not the gun's fault that I sucked. That was all me, and I'll suck on the new gun until I get ALOT of practice in.

Ideally, I'm looking for a inexpensive gun in 9mm with a large capacity that will be a good starting point. I have very little knowledge about what might be good choices for a very remedial shooter. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have a long way to go, but hopefully will have a lot of fun along the way.

Last edited:

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    My .02.

Start out simple and easy with a good Glock or XD. A lot of people choose a Glock 17 or even a Glock 34 as their first production gun. As a beginner you'll need to focus on your shooting and not the extreme particulars of a gun like you'd need to with higher end guns, but you'll want something dependable that still offers enough flexibility to expand and grow. Keep it simple, learn a lot, be safe and have a great time.

Read the rule book and ask as many questions as you can at matches. That is the best way to learn and enjoy the sport..:)

Last edited:

lilbeauxdawg

INFIDEL
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If u want to step away from glocks but still shoot 9mm a cz sp-01 is the way to go in my opinion. They can get a little pricey especially if u get the full custom one from czcustom.com by angus hobdell but it is one of the best running guns for production. Still just my opinion. Only draw back is that u have to decock the gun before each stage which can be a little scary if u don't watch what ur doing.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Without a doubt, my favorite USPSA gun is an M&P 9 Pro. The trigger is nice right out of the box. It just "feels" right to me. Personally, I think it's one of the best production guns made today. If we are ever at the same match, I'll let you shoot it.

As said above, CZ makes a great gun also and I have a CZ-75 I was thinking about running with, but having to decock it each time just didnt sit well with me so I went M&P.

I can work up a good price for you if you are interested.

Kasey

Last edited:

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I'm about to start USPSA in the fall and I've decided on an M&P 9L with the APEX Kit and Dawson sights. I've started shooting it and love it.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Glock 34 m&p pro 9mm are both good guns. Quit being so hard on yourself and enjoy it. Compete with your own score and not the others, just do a little better each time. Good luck with your new hobby.:)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Glock 34 m&p pro 9mm are both good guns. Quit being so hard on yourself and enjoy it. Compete with your own score and not the others, just do a little better each time. Good luck with your new hobby.:)

I wholeheartedly agree. Go out there, better yourself, make less mistakes than the last time and you will enjoy this sport. There isn't much worse than someone whose sole goal at a match is to beat so and so, etc. Do your best and you will improve every time.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I've got a g-17 that is set up for USPSA production class.
    Vanek trigger, sevigny sight system, LW blind marked bbl, with all of the factory parts and 5 mags.

The gun has roughly 3k rounds through the LW bbl. Only 100 rds thru the factory set up. It can be yours for 650 bucks...

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    All the guns mentioned previously will fill the bill just fine. At the next match you attend, ask to handle as many as you can. No one will deny you and most will hand you a mag and tell you to blast away. You need to decide what fits you best.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I'm a few months ahead of you and I'd like to pass on some of what I've learned. I started shooting in October of last year after I got my CCW and after 45 + years from having fired a gun. I bought a G26 since my LEO friends all told me 'get a Glock" and I had felt comfortable with the one I rented for the CCW class.

After a few months of range shooting I realized that I really needed to improve my gunhandling and shooting skills, I read through the competition forum and posted a couple of questions. Then I went to Nick's for a Sunday morning match.

I wish I had a video of that day, It could go on Comedy Central. Everyone was very nice to me and very helpful. Vigilante Sniper prevented me from being dangerous to others and everyone was very encouraging. I shot just over 200 (out of 600) from a stationary position, never got a shot off within the time limit for the stage after a magazine change and in many cases, ran out of time on the first magazine. But, it was fun, everyone was encouraging and I was hooked.

I was fortunate to enough to spend a couple of hours with Paul Gomez and got some basic issues worked out and I continued to go to Nick's on Sunday mornings. I realized after a lot of practice that the Glock and I weren't made for each other when it came to magazine changes so I began to look for another gun. After much trial and error, I decided on an M&P 9c. Still a compact since I could use it for CCW if I gave this competition stuff up.

I also got a shot timer (a requirement for knowing how you're progressing) and lots of good advice from the people I shot with. Again - many thanks the Vigilante Sniper. I practiced once a week and started competing twice a week at Nick's and got better. I still gave everyone lots of laughs by competing with a compact 9mm and factory ammunition but I was watching, listening and learning. I was allowed to try different guns and then took the BIG step of buying an M&P 9L, got the APEX Kit and played with various sights until I found a combination of Dawsons that I liked. I ordered a variety of Atlamta Arms ammunition and found what I liked from their selection. As an aside - I don't have the time or space for reloading. Then we went off for summer up north with no good place to shoot.

We'll be back a couple of times during the summer and my wife already knows that I'll be at Nick's an inordinate amount of the time.

I quickly signed up for Max's course in November, joined USPSA, and am trying to figure out how to get a few matches in before the class in November.

What I've really learned so far is that:
    • It's the shooter not the gun.
    • Practice is only good with a focus and goals and knowing the right technnique to be practicing.
    • You've got to go back to the basics. Stance, Grip, Aim and trigger control.
    • You're probably too young for this, but wear glassses that let you see and focus on the front sight.
    • Speed increases with quality practice. You've got to do it right slowly before you can do it right quickly.
    • You really are competing against yourself.
    Lastly, there are is a community of very nice helpful folks who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with you to help you make yourself a better shooter and competitor - and then have fun.

I hope you get to enjoy this as much as I do.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have only been to one IDPA match and one USPSA match. I used my G19. It works for a FNG. IDPA I finished in the middle of the pack and USPSA I was dead last also. Hence I never went back. I need to get out there again and try n get better one of these days. If I were to get into it regularly I would get a G34.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Listen to the advice 70116 gave, come out to Nick's if you can on a Sunday morning, or Thur. night and we will be glad to help you. I can let you try out different guns to see what you like best. You can try my G34,G17,M&P pro, CZ Shadow, and others. I'll be in Vegas this weekend but will be at Nick's next Wed & Thurs.

Top Bottom