A reason to carry...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    First of all...I don't post much here. And I have been on and off the forum for several years. I pop my head up every now and then to make a comment (mostly a stupid one) and then taper off into the ether. This weekend, I had an experience that reinforced my belief in carrying...concealed or otherwise.

My family (me, wife, and six month old daughter) were in the drive through at a fast food restaurant in a "decent" part of Baton Rouge. We were out shopping and decided to get a couple of drinks. We had waited longer than you probably should just for drinks. We were at a drive through window and in front of us was another vehicle with just the driver at another drive through window. All of a sudden, the driver in front of us opens his car door, starts shouting expletives at someone in the restaurant, and then commenced to attempt to crawl through drive through window. I went ahead and pulled out my pistol. I looked at my wife (who was driving) and told her the drinks are not important and let's go. Meanwhile, the driver ahead of us is pushed out the window and is still yelling expletives, and then a worker appears in the window and is yelling back and then spits on the driver. By this time we are trying to drive away, but the car in front of us speeds around the corner of the drive through, gets out of the vehicle, opens his trunk, and then pulls out what I believe to have been a handgun, and went into the fast food place. By this time we are out of the parking lot. To be completely honest, I believe I saw him pull out a handgun. But...I will admit it could have been something else. But his actions and body language, in addition to what I thought I saw, all suggested that he had a gun.

Here is part two of the story...

Once we were out of the parking lot, I called 911. I explained to the dispatcher what I witnessed. He told me to stay on the line and he would put me through to the police (huh?). The phone rang twice and then I was hung up on. I called back immediately, and got a different person. Explained the same thing. Was told to stay on the line while she puts me through to the police. Dispatch from the PD answered and I explained the whole thing over...again. This person asked a couple of questions and then thanked me for calling and then promptly hung up. No indication that they would do anything or send someone to check up on things...just an okay and thanks.

Okay, since I didn't see anything in the news, maybe there wasn't a gun...honestly...I don't know. I do know that guy was angry and he grabbed something and ran into the fast food place, all the while, other employees and customers were running out. That being said...this is what I learned.

Even though nothing happened to my family and we were able to make a swift exit, you never know what could have happened. The guy might have turned our way and decided that he didn't like something. As we were leaving his attention might have come to us. Who knows...but what I do know is that I was prepared to take action if the need did arise.

The other thing that I learned...is that the police can't always be there to protect you (okay I always knew this, but thought that this was a good example to say such again). Also, you can't always depend on the police to come to your aid...and if they did...it might be too late.

Just some thoughts on an unpleasant incident that had the potential to turn really bad. Not trying to disparage anyone, anything, or anyplace. Just some observations.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    1. Glad you and your family are okay. 2. Do not expect a news story on every ugly incident that occurs in Baton Rouge.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Yep, **** can jump off anywhere. Being alert to your surroundings, and prepared if trouble breaks your way, is the best way to stay clear. Bailing out of line as opposed to breaking out your phone to record and gawk was absolutely the best choice, but these days so many people think nothing of staying on the edge of disaster so they can post "Y'all won't believe what I just saw go down!" videos, it's pretty pathetic.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yep, **** can jump off anywhere. Being alert to your surroundings, and prepared if trouble breaks your way, is the best way to stay clear. Bailing out of line as opposed to breaking out your phone to record and gawk was absolutely the best choice, but these days so many people think nothing of staying on the edge of disaster so they can post "Y'all won't believe what I just saw go down!" videos, it's pretty pathetic.

I don't understand people sometimes. Not worth it taking a video if my loved ones are at risk. Also can't stand it when someone is getting hurt and people would rather video.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Glad you were aware of your surroundings and that your wife was packing a car.
    A man should be prepared at all times to defend himself and his family.
    If I ever find myself in a situation where I must defend myself or my family from an attacker I will call 911 if I have time. Then once I have them on the line I’ll put the phone down and do what I need to do. I know it’s good to reach out if you have time. At least for the record.
    When **** happens nobody can be on scene quicker than you. You are the first responder.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You will never hear about something so “minor” in Baton Rouge on the news. One of the new guys that work for me actually said one of the main things he was so shocked about since being an officer is how so little is reported on the news. When we ask the dispatchers to keep the complainant on the line so we can get real time updates we are always told “they disconnected on transfer”. Guess you experienced that first hand. You did the best thing you could do, flee the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    You will never hear about something so *minor* in Baton Rouge on the news. One of the new guys that work for me actually said one of the main things he was so shocked about since being an officer is how so little is reported on the news. When we ask the dispatchers to keep the complainant on the line so we can get real time updates we are always told *they disconnected on transfer*. Guess you experienced that first hand. You did the best thing you could do, flee the area.

Ok that is scary if operators are disconnecting people.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    You will never hear about something so *minor* in Baton Rouge on the news. One of the new guys that work for me actually said one of the main things he was so shocked about since being an officer is how so little is reported on the news. When we ask the dispatchers to keep the complainant on the line so we can get real time updates we are always told *they disconnected on transfer*. Guess you experienced that first hand. You did the best thing you could do, flee the area.

Thanks for acknowledging what I suspected. It makes me very sad though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom