A truck carrying "extremely dangerous" material stolen in Mexico

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    A truck carrying "extremely dangerous" material used in medical treatment has been stolen in Mexico, officials said.

The truck was transporting cobalt-60 from a hospital in the northern city of Tijuana to a radioactive waste storage facility when it was stolen in Tepojaco near Mexico City Monday, the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement. Cobalt-60 is a radioactive isotope and was being used in radiotherapy.

Mexican authorities are conducting a search for the material and have issued a statement to alert the public, the IAEA said.

The truck is a white Volkswagen Worker with license plate 726-DT-8, Mexico's National Commission for Nuclear Security and Safeguards said.

"At the time the truck was stolen, the source was properly shielded. However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged," the IAEA said in the statement.

There was no indication from officials that the truck was headed for the U.S.

U.S. law enforcement and Department of Homeland Security officials are aware of the theft and working closely with Mexican authorities, a U.S. official briefed on the situation told ABC News.

Border officials armed with radiation detection devices have been alerted. It is unclear who stole the material and if they know what they have, the official said.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    UH OH!
    A white volkswagen worker???
    peter_stormare_vw1.png

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I would be more concerned with all of the suitcase nukes floating around the country.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Cobalt-60 is some nasty stuff. When we were in Monterey Mexico they were using it to x-Ray our welds. The exposure time was really short on xxxheavy pipe. Even the x-Ray techs were scared of it. If it were to be used in a dirty bomb it would have the potential to get really nasty for a bunch of people, if there was enough used.

All American Gunsmithing LLC
    Baton Rouge L.A.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Is Cobalt-60 even weapons capable or is this something that, at best, would poison someones waterhole?

If unshielded it can be a serious health hazard. However I would assume since it was being transported to a waste facility it had lost most of its curies (radiation). I doubt they even knew what they were stealing.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If unshielded it can be a serious health hazard. However I would assume since it was being transported to a waste facility it had lost most of its curies (radiation). I doubt they even knew what they were stealing.

That was my other question - if it was going off to waste, if it were depleted enough to reduce the risk to mostly a "who cares" amount. I don't know what the half-life of it is (though I could google it I'm sure) nor how long industries are able to keep it in service before regulations/equipment force its retirement.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Keep in mind this is a third-world country. They don't exactly follow the same guidelines for disposal as the U.S. and others.

You asked if it was weapons grade. Fertilizer mixed the right way is weapons grade. But I get what you mean.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    That was my other question - if it was going off to waste, if it were depleted enough to reduce the risk to mostly a "who cares" amount. I don't know what the half-life of it is (though I could google it I'm sure) nor how long industries are able to keep it in service before regulations/equipment force its retirement.

I can look it up in my textbook later but even if it was depleted enough to be harmless regulation requires it disposed of properly by professionals. At least in America.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I can look it up in my textbook later but even if it was depleted enough to be harmless regulation requires it disposed of properly by professionals. At least in America.

Thats why it was in a scrap metal truck?! And people wonder why we (The U.S.) get involved when other countires start to handle this material and want to know what they are doing with it and where it is going. Look at Iran, Pakistan, etc....! Some people/countries should not have any of it to begin with!

Whats the saying?.... Better to as for forgivness than to ask for permission! I'm all about offense b/ its the best defense! Thats all I'm saying!

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A friend told me that he heard on the back channels that several agencies were on high alert because some rogue country was trying to sneak a real nuke across the border down there. Apparently they are using this "Cobalt-60" thing as a cover story to explain why they are using radiation detectors on everything crossing the border.

No....not really..... I made that up but it sounds good right!?!?

Must.....resist......sending...it.....in....chain....email........

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    A friend told me that he heard on the back channels that several agencies were on high alert because some rogue country was trying to sneak a real nuke across the border down there. Apparently they are using this "Cobalt-60" thing as a cover story to explain why they are using radiation detectors on everything crossing the border.

No....not really..... I made that up but it sounds good right!?!?

Must.....resist......sending...it.....in....chain....email........

Don't worry, I'm sure Alex will be right on that. :mamoru:

Top Bottom