AAR - Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5 - November 9-11

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Unity Tactical / Advantage Group hosted VTAC

WHO: Viking Tactics – Taught by one of Kyle’s AI’s
    WHAT: Carbine 1.5 with some Bonus Pistol
    WHEN: November 9-11
    WHERE: Houma, LA – Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Range
    WEATHER: TD1-TD3 – 70 and Beautiful

GEAR: I wore generally what I wear every day. Vertx Pants, Long Sleeve T-Shirt, Inov-8 195’s. Riggers Belt with 2 Fastmag AR Pouches and double Pistol Pouch and my EDC holster. I had bought a pair of Smith Elite Aegis Echo eye pro for this class. They worked great.

GUNS: I have sold everything that I don’t use. So I am down to 2 pistols (Identical M&Ps) and 2 AR’s (Nearly Identical).

IMG_1658.jpg

4EE6107C-A4EB-49ED-9510-9CCA936F8C72-1780-00000187775A2043.jpg

Primary 1 – 10.5* DD with Troy tube and T-1
    Primary 2 – 14.5* LW Midlength with Troy tube and Swarovski Z6i
    Secondary 1&2 – M&P 9FS with RMR and TLR-3

AMMO: 5.56 – Silver Bear, 9mm – Generic Brass cased 115g

I had no malfunctions of any kind through 2100 Carbine rounds and 600 Pistol Rounds. These guns hadn’t been cleaned in about 5k rounds (No malfunctions) and I only lubed with EWL at the start of each day. I intend to clean and replace a few parts this week. (Some springs and other wear parts are due).

I have been refining these setups this year and have finally settled on what works for me. I bought the Z6i specifically for this class to evaluate. It exceeded my expectations and I will be keeping it. As a result of the class I will not be making any changes gear wise.

Class Gear Failures – The class was mainly dominated by EOTech with a few Aimpoints mixed in. I had the only variable and only pistol mounted optics. The AR’s were all higher quality as were the pistols (Mainly M&P).

3 EOTech’s delaminated which made the reticles so dim they were unusable in daylight.
    1 Guy was using arredondo M&P Mag Extenders. While running barricade drills he lost his followers and springs more than once. I had evaluated these 8 months ago and decided they were junk. This cemented my findings. He is switching to Taylor Freelance.
    1 Castle Nut came loose (Not staked)
    1 Muzzle Device came loose – Gun shop that installed it did not use a crush washer
    An AFG came off a gun – No Loctite
    A couple of other malfunctions that I did not get a chance to see close up

More than a few guys gave up single point slings over the 3 days in favor of a VTAC or similar. A few guys gave up on EOTech.

All in all gear failures did not hold up the class at all, and if something went down it was quickly fixed, gear loaned, etc. It was a really great group of shooters and I learned something from all of them, comprised of a great mix of .mil, LE-SWAT, a PMC, and some civilians. Everyone was safe and competent, so the class moved quickly and we accomplished more than what was on the schedule.

TD1:

TD1 started out with a safety brief, incident management, and introductions. We confirmed zero at the 50y line and it only took two strings to get everyone in order. We shot an aggregate drill from the 50, 25, and 10y line which allowed the instructor to get an accuracy baseline for all of the students. We went over alternate shooting positions, kneeling, sitting, prone, rollover, and a few others. We had the opportunity to shoot for accuracy at 50y from these positions before moving up to the 10y line for some ready up drills. We spent a good amount of time working acquisition, sight picture, trigger control, stance, and transitions. The instructor spent a good amount of time with each shooter making corrections and offering advice. We moved onto secondary transitions and conducted some drills specifically gear toward building speed (while maintaining accuracy) on deploying the sidearm.

We conducted timed 2-2-2 drills and 1-5 drills one shooter at a time to get a baseline on speed and to allow the instructor to critique under the stress of the timer. It’s amazing how some fundamentals break down when the timer comes out even though we had shot the drill as a line just minutes before.

Before lunch we went back over some fundamentals to help cement the lessons.

Lunch was catered which gave everyone the chance to get to know each other better and share some stories / knowledge.

After lunch we brought out some steel targets we had just bought from MGM (Who by the way were ultra-helpful in getting them to us in time). We also brought out some VTAC Barricades. The instructor demonstrated working behind cover, positioning the gun, and targeting when the gun is canted 90 degrees. He had a lot of real world stories that drove the training and gave some color to why some positions were better than others. We spent some time working the barricades one at a time, the instructor making the rounds to offer advice and correct form. Once everyone was comfortable with the positions and had time to ask pointed questions we moved onto the 9 hole drill. Running one at a time we worked out way through each of the 9 ports under the timer. Taking a break from the barricades we worked strong – support side transitions and shot in a lot of the positions support side. We ran the 9 hole again from the support side.

Because the class had a generally high proficiency level we moved through a lot of material and all had the chance to shoot each drill nearly as much as we wanted to. Everyone kept extremely safe and the class melded together quickly. There was a lot of story swapping, learning, examples, and laughter. As a civilian, it’s truly an honor to get to shoot and train alongside guys like that.

The day broke with a final Q&A Session about some of the things we had covered.

TD2:

TD2 started with another short Q&A session on those lessons students had time to incubate on and was followed by a safety brief.

Then it was straight back to the barricades. We ran a barricade catch up drill and got everyone moving quickly. The shooter started out on the left side of the barricade standing, made two hits on steel, then transitioned to strong side kneeling on the right side of the barricade and made two hits. He then bounded to the next barricade to start it over again. Once the first shooter started on the second barricade, the second shooter began his run. If the second shooter caught up to the first shooter, the first shooter had to go back to the line. It was a great drill to cement the fundamentals and move efficiently.

We pulled some more props out and setup some cover scenarios. The first set started out engaging from 50y behind cover, moving to a large tire for SBU Prone, to another barricade for port shooting, to an aluminum fishing boat (It is Louisiana) for prone, and finally to a low wall for a transition to pistol.

Because the range is wide we could run two shooters head to head with a following spotter for safety and to call misses. All shooters had the opportunity to run it several times before we moved the props and started again.

During lunch the Sheriff’s office setup their moving target (They were very helpful and things moved along very smoothly). The instructor spent some time discussing moving targets, how to engage them, and how to utilize cover when dealing with them. We set the mover to a slow jog and engaged it from roughly 30y one at a time. After each shoot the instructor and student went down-range to assess the hits, make corrections, and offer advice. We then moved to standing from about 10 yards. We increased the speed of the mover and repeated the evolution with both carbine and pistol. After every string we could see the hits and make some self-critique about sight picture, trigger control, and tracking.

Because the class was moving quickly we devoted the remainder of the afternoon to some pistol only work. The Lafourche range has an excellent steel bay that allowed us to setup a few different drills.

We started with 6 plates setup at about 10y. The drill required you engage the targets in order, always coming back to 1. So 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6-1-5-1-4-1-3-1-2-1. It’s a higher round count that that required a slide lock reload, a fast presentation, good sight pictures, and quick target transitions. We ran it one at a time on the timer. Everyone moved through it quickly (though we had some math issues…) and we setup the targets for the zigzag drill. It is a great drill that combines fundamentals, movement, situational awareness, and speed. The instructor spent some time discussing pistol mag changes, thinking on the move, and *Doing something when you are doing nothing*. After every run, the shooter had time to ask questions, receive advice, and re-walk it while implementing the advice. It was an excellent use of time and hugely beneficial.

We closed the day in the same manner as TD1, Q&A on the day’s lessons. The instructor is very personable, very attentive, and has an incredible amount of experience to pull from. Anytime a question was asked in private he made a point to consolidate and disseminate it to the rest of the class. It was a proverbial knowledge flood.

TD3:

TD3 was devoted to vehicle work. Advantage Group secured a 4 door BMW for use (With all of the glass intact). We started out with the vehicle at about the 25y line at an angle. All shooters had an opportunity to work all of the positions in and out of the vehicle, shooting around, over, and under. We shot from the driver’s seat, employing both carbine and pistol. We then moved to engaging targets from the driver’s seat, to crawling over the console and exiting the passenger side, finding cover, and re-engaging. We paired up and executed contact drills, working on communication, and maintaining constant effective fire. A debrief was given after every run and the entire class learned something through each string. The great thing about working with a group of guys like this is the complete lack of ego. Everyone took criticism, learned from it, and became a more effective shooter as a result. Mistakes were not repeated.

We got the windows rolled back up and had some shooters engage targets through the windows with carbines. After a quick reposition of the car we began engaging targets through the windshield from 35y shooting steel. We had the opportunity to shoot at the target using fresh glass and see the deflection. Here was my take away. The first shot will likely not be a hit, make a hole to shoot through, and engage through that hole. Getting the muzzle through the windshield was a huge benefit. Also compensators and SBR’s in vehicles are teeth wrenching. Even using my Mini-4 suppressor in the car was an enormous improvement. As a civilian it’s very unlikely I will be rolling around in my Minivan with my carbine, but if I am, it will have the can on it. We had secured 5 or 6 new windshields, so everyone had the chance to shoot through fresh glass with both pistol and carbine. We shot the mover through the windshield as well.

Before we moved on the Instructor related some experiences and more vehicle specific advice that gave me a broader frame of reference.

He setup a scenario for teams to run. He played the principle in the back seat. The car was positioned at 35y and we had 3 steel targets directly ahead. Each team had the time to put together a game plan for *contact front* and run it. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. The instructor spent several minutes debriefing each team before the next team started and the entire class benefitted from each run.

The next scenario involved the shooters moving from a follow car to retrieve an injured principle from the vehicle and then move to cover. The sheriff’s office provided a 150lb dummy for the task. Again, the debriefs were very informative and eye opening.

The class ended by shooting at targets in the car through the glass and analyzing the effects glass has on trajectory and terminal ballistics. We should some bonded ammo, 855, and some cheaper range ammo. We shot through glass, rims, doors, structural posts, and anything else we could think of. I learned a tremendous amount about effective fire into vehicles.

It would be difficult for me to put everything I learned into this AAR. I took some notes during the class, but the pace was quick and I am sure I missed some items. All in all it was a great class. It was very safe and I learned something with every round I fired. There literally was not a wasted shot over the three days.

The instructor was awesome, it was the second time I had the opportunity to train with him and he delivered. He has a lot of current real world experience, has a great personality that prompted questions, answers, advice, and detailed training.

The class flowed smoothly and everyone learned a lot, both from the instructor and the other students there.

Take Aways:
    As a civilian, it’s always an honor to train with military and LE professionals and always a great experience. Here is some of what I took away from the class; this is in no way complete as I will be learning from it for the next 6 months.

Gear:
    • Don’t fight your gear. I did not have this issue, but saw others having it. Train with it, learn what is wrong, and refine it.
    • I am very happy with my carbine and pistol setups as well as support gear.
    o I will be training in my armor *Street Fighter* in April to shake that down.
    • I am very happy with the Z6i. I am just as fast on 1x as I am with my T-1, and the magnification is great. It got beat up a little during the class and took it well.

Software:
    • I need to spend some time working core driven target transitions.
    • I need to spend more time planning my personal range time to maximize its effectiveness on my weak points. I need to create opportunities to train under stress. I need to have someone watch and identify the things I did incorrectly, or could do better. I don’t always catch my mistakes.
    • I need to benchmark / record progress better. And push myself for incremental improvement.
    • I believe I am at the point where I need to incorporate more scenario based problem solving into my training. And reality check my fundamentals under these situations.
    • I need to aim for improved consistency with fundamentals, movement, and transitions.
    • I need to be faster engaging targets in awkward positions (Sight Picture). Dry Fire!
    • There is a lot more, but I need to review my notes and incubate on them for a time.

Pictures:

394147_330352433729134_869913012_n.jpg

Conducting the aggregate TD1.

64504_330354280395616_928815116_n.jpg

Demonstrating some alternate sitting positions.

68038_330436730387371_409700382_n.jpg

Demonstrating kneeling, anchoring the gun.

409261_330440527053658_285575131_n.jpg

Working movers from a barricade, making the most of cover.

75959_331019946995716_373334054_n.jpg

SBU Prone around vehicle tire, engaging the mover.

544931_330674247030286_32764589_n.jpg

We brought a FUSION mount for shooters to try out. Save some weight and space!

644129_331024093661968_1936310612_n.jpg

Engaging targets over the hood of the car. Get low!

60753_331071973657180_865989790_n.jpg

Two shooters engaging through the windshield. Make a hole, then put effective hits on target.

Thank you to:

VTAC – For providing excellent instruction and a great time
    LPSO – For a great facility, excellent staff, and a lot of help
    All of the shooters for no egos, great stories and a great learning environment.
    Nate @ Advantage Group for going above and beyond coordinating, bringing in all of the equipment, and keeping downtime to an absolute minimum.

Please ignore spelling or grammar mistakes.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Overview

The call was for 3 days, 1800 rifle rounds and 200 pistol. By my calculations, we actually shot closer to 2100 rifle and 500 pistol-- there was ZERO time wasted in this class. Kicking off at 0800 every morning and knocking off as late as 1700, we squeezed in a ton of instruction and even more shooting while we had the light to do so. And with doughnuts and delectable catered lunches, courtesy of the organizational skills of one Vanilla Gorilla, there was no waiting around for everyone to get together and get to the firing line.

Our instructor was top notch in all regards; VTAC's reputation for bringing in some of the best in the world is well deserved. I've learned throughout the course of taking over a dozen classes (competition and combat focused alike) that the attitude and teaching approach of the instructor is just as important as their knowledge of the material, and we were blessed to have a guy that scores top marks across the board. Coupled with a great bunch of students, all of whom were very safe and competent shooters and more than willing to offer advice to each other, the atmosphere was both fun and focused on learning at the same time.

Day 1

After zeroing our optics, we ran through some walk-ups to get a better sense of the appropriate hold overs at different distances. We went through some strings at 50 yards in various shooting positions-- kneeling, sitting and prone-- and then ran some scored exercises under time. (Goteron beat me by 9 points with that high-dollar glass of his!)

In a whirlwind, we began shooting "up" drills from 7-10 yards on the VTAC targets. We worked transitions and tight shots on the overlapping shapes, followed with pairs and FTS-type drills on their anatomical "skeleton" targets. The instructor promptly had us transitioning to our sidearms when the rifles went dry, so everyone was on the line at once sending rifle and pistol rounds down range. Once everyone was fully warmed up, we set up some new paper and began working through some of the VTAC drills that have become so prolific in these classes. (You can find instructions and demonstrations of these on VTAC's YouTube channel, where Kyle will show you that he's superhuman.) Splitting off into 3 groups, we shot the 2-2-2 and 1-through-5 drills for scores-- the addition of competition and the knowledge that all eyes are on the shooter adding a stress level that running the drills on your own simply cannot replicate.

After lunch, the Advantage Group steel targets and VTAC barricades came out. Our instructor went through each of the 9 ports and worked on both sides of the wall, illustrating all of the possible shooting positions we could use and giving real-world examples of why one option may be better than another based on a particular set of circumstances. Here's where I believe the real meat of the course began for most of the students, as everyone was pretty damn good with their rifles in the "stand and shoot" situations. Once those barricades came out, you could really see guys starting to latch on to new techniques and adding things to their toolbox.

We were given several runs at the barricades just to play around with all of the ports and positions and get used to making hits with the guns turned cockeyed, the rifles held in wacky positions, and in the case of Broke Back Prone, the shooter quite literally ass-over-teakettle. Then it was time to do everything at speed.

The 9 Hole Drill was first on the list, and it absolutely whipped my butt. Having switched from an EOTech to an Aimpoint Micro (more on that later) right after lunch, I spent most of my time just hunting for the damn dot. On the three ports at the very bottom of the barricade, I could not for the life of me figure out WTF to do with my support hand! The instructor hustled over and gave me several pointers, and some of my fellow students helped me work through some of my issues as well. Just when I started feeling comfortable with everything... it was time to do it from the support side!

Our instructor illustrated the proper way to switch the rifle to the support side (and back again), poked fun at those of us with single point slings (which I am about to ditch entirely), and put us to work again. I was happy to find that my little "trick" of blinking my dominant eye to allow the left one to take over was working well-- but damned if I still wasn't searching for that dot when the gun was rolled over sideways! Note that I was so discombobulated that my recollection of what we did at the end of that day and the beginning of the following morning may be crossed up!

As we were wrapping up, everyone realized that we had shot nearly 900 rounds that day and the decision was made to squeeze in some more pistol work on Day 2. What a deal-- lagniappe VTAC courses on the free!

Day 2

We kicked off the second day with a return to the barricades, and thanks to some dry fire practice the night before (I'm a gamer still after all), I was feeling a lot more comfortable with them. The instructor lined all 4 of them up and we ran through the Barricade Catch-Up Drill. Miraculously, I made it through on the first pass without getting bumped out by the guy behind me!

It was obviously time to start getting the heart pumping and the lungs working, and we quickly broke out some extra props and put together our instructor's version of the Scrambler. Running head-to-head, we worked positions on one barricade, moved forward to a second shooting position behind a massive tractor tire, up to another barricade for two more positions, over to a pirogue for a couple of super-low shots, and then forward for some pistol work over a low wall @ 15 yards. Once everyone had run through it 2 or 3 times, and I was sucking wind like a champion, the instructor shifted up the barricades... and we did it all over again! And again! And yet again!

When we came back from lunch, all of the students were giddy to see that a mover had been set up down range, courtesy of the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office. Our instructor covered the basics of tracking vs. leading, pointing out the changing nature of said relationship as ranges increase. We began on the mover from a supported position at about 30 yards, then moved up for some "oh $*&%" practice with rifle and handgun alike. Then back to the barricades and unconventional shooting positions, which really proved to be a challenge when you start accounting for POI shifts on something that's sliding across your field of view at NFL linebacker pace. Even competing in Sectional, Area and National USPSA matches, I had only ever shot at a slider a couple of times, so this was a rare and awesome opportunity for everyone.

We boxed up the rifles for the day at that point and moved on to pistol, where the wide array of steel belonging to the Sheriff's range really came in handy. (I cannot speak well enough about this facility and the guys who run it-- they were a big part of making the class such a raving success.) We began with a transition drill that I wish I had been shooting all last season-- 6 pieces of steel @ 8 yards, draw and shoot plate 1, plate 2, plate 1, plate 3, etc and work all the way down the line-- then back again. (1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6-1-5-1-4-1-3-1-2-1.) I discovered on my first two runs (in which I could not seem to count...) that this was a REAL skill challenge, stressing basically every key element of shooting quickly and accurately. Running for time, with the whole class watching and competing, we again found ourselves in a heightened stress situation-- the best way to train!

We followed that up with a Zig Zag Drill, typically shot with the rifle but just as pertinent and challenging with the pistol. Added in to both drills, due to the round count, was the need for a mag change on the fly and guys got a lot of instruction in this important and often overlooked element of the handgun. We ended the day with some runs at El Pres and a few Bill Drills for those of us who stuck around to dump some more ammo. It was a GREAT use of the time, and I think everyone benefited from running the last half of the afternoon with the pistol.

Day 3

Sometime around lunch on the first day, a junked BMW 325i had appeared at the edge of the range and word spread that we were going to be working in, out and around it. Everyone was stoked to get some vehicle work in-- especially those of us who have only had limited exposure, and then with personally owned cars that could not be shot up under threat of death. The notion of doing it in a German piece of engineering had everyone excited.

Thanks to Goteron's superior mechanical skills and crowbar work, we managed to get the steering column anchored and the vehicle into position. We did some dry run throughs to make sure everyone was up to speed, and then started wailing away-- first from the drivers seat out of the open window, then using the car as cover, then exiting the vehicle to engage targets. Guys paired up and ran contact drills, communicating and dismounting while keeping up a base of fire. Now some of us weren't so happy about the Beamer-- that sucker is HELL to dismount when you're crossing the center console in full kit and with a rifle slung around your neck.

Then the moment we'd all been waiting for-- shooting out of the vehicle through the glass. Though a couple of "lucky" individuals (JWG being one of them) blasted out the side windows before we began running in pairs, it was time for the lot of us to engage threats through the windshield. Our instructor went into detail about deflection and how to counter it, and then it was time to go to work. I'm sure I wasn't the only one with the shootout scene from Heat running through my brain.

I climbed in the car with Goteron and got the go ahead to break the first shot through fresh glass. The world went white, then red, then slowly came back into focus. Then the damn SBR went off in the seat next to me and it happened all over again-- this time with a shower of glass shards for good measure. It was immediately clear that discharging a rifle over the dash is NOT a pleasant experience. It took me 4 or 5 rounds just to be able to keep from flinching/blinking, but the experience itself was both valuable and pretty damn cool in the end. When I climbed out, I had a tough guy streak of blood running down my cheek-- not the only wound to be sustained by a shooter during that drill, but definitely the manliest. :cool:

We replicated that with pistols, ran it a few more times with the carbines as well, and once everyone had reached their fill of teeth-rattling, eye-popping, borderline-concussion fun, it was time to move on to some scenarios.

And I don't believe I've ever had more fun with a firearm than I did in those scenarios. Pairing up with our very own pntbllr228 in "Team Civvie", we began with exiting the vehicle with our "principal" (played by Vanilla Gorilla in our case, who graciously didn't give me a wedgie while I was leading him to the "safe house") while communicating, bounding and covering each other in the process. Not to toot our own horns, but I think we did a pretty bang up job for a couple of non-professionals-- and the instructor seemed very satisfied with the game plan we put together before climbing into the car.

The Sheriff's broke out a dummy for us next, cleverly constructed by rolling a fire hose into a vaguely human shape and stuffing it into an outfit. The second scenario involved moving from our "vehicle" to the disabled primary, with one shooter providing cover for the other as he extracted and moved the principal to safety and then bounding back to link up with them afterwards. Pntbllr228 graciously agreed to lug the dummy, which probably weighed almost as much as I did...

As the day drew to a close, VG prompted the instructor to let us see the effects of projectiles entering the vehicle. We fired in through the windshield, the rear glass, the doors, the trunk, the tail lights, the engine block-- pretty much everything we could think to try. Thanks to JWG, we had some bonded Gold Dot on hand and ran comparisons between that, M855 and standard jacketed 55 grain. We shot pistols, an AK, and both slugs and buckshot from the department's training 870. Though all of us had seen the research and watched the videos, witnessing what bullets do in a vehicle first hand was a great learning experience for everyone-- and damn cool t'boot.

To wrap up the class, we ran a "Mad Minute" shoot up of the vehicle, which despite our ballistic testing was not in terrible shape at the time. It turned into a Mad 10 minutes I believe, with guys racing from the line to the bench to grab more mags and more toys. The carbines used in class made up the bulk of the show, but a Diablo made an appearance (which is AWESOME to shoot if you get the chance), as well as a sexy little carbine with a fun switch and pretty much whatever else guys could pull out of their range bags. It proved to be a really awesome way to close things out, with guys who had worked so hard for 3 straight 9 hour days blowing off steam and sporting ear-to-ear grins. Even the instructor-- a consumate professional-- was as giddy as a school girl when the dust and smoke settled.

My Key Takeaways

I'm done with EOTechs, despite my die-hard fanboi stance of the past several years. I pulled my XPS-3 out on the first day to find the reticle super dim and COMPLETELY washing out in unacceptable situations. I was one of 3 guys who reported this-- including our instructor. Turns out that mine is delaminated (shipping back to EOTech tomorrow, where all reports say it will be fixed quickly and under warranty), as was our instructor's. (Didn't get to check out the third rifle.) Pntbllr loaned me his Aimpoint T-1 and I was instantly sold. Discussing the matter with him, we both decided that the dot/ring reticle may indeed be a tiny little bit faster-- but it's most pronounced for newer/less experienced shooters who are not familiar with running an RDS. A 4 MOA dot is NOT huge, and if I ultimately decide I wanna go smaller... The T-1 comes in a 2 MOA now as well.

I really need to practice with the rifle more. A lot of pistol skill transfers over in terms of transitions and driving the gun, but I could definitely stand to improve my recoil management. Most notably, I need to work on those positions and getting on the trigger faster once I hit them. My manipulations were pretty strong (stupid PMAGs not dropping free aside), but I could do with some dry fire practice on a LOT of the things I learned this weekend.

2-point slings are the way to go. The single point is faster to transition from shoulder to shoulder (when you don't bash your chin on the stock), and perhaps a touch faster going to the secondary, but there the advantages end. With the construction of the 2-points these days (namely the one that Kyle created), they are a lot more versatile than when I first started shopping so many years ago.

Projectiles do odd things going in and out of vehicles. Thin skinned cars are NOT cover, period. My accuracy-focused Montana Gold's were punching all the way through the rear at times, but weren't even making it past the windshield in others. Bonded pistol rounds are a MUST, and I believe are the way to go for rifle as well; I'll be looking into some SOST in the near future to compliment the Mk 262 I have.

Crap and spawl will fly everywhere when bullets impact near you. Though obviously I didn't experience this at the class, it's flagrantly true based on the glass shards I was still wearing when I got home last night-- just from shooting OUT OF the vehicle.

There's no "right way" to do a lot of this stuff in a real situation-- the instructor pointed that out many times, including personal accounts and examples, and it became obvious while running through some of these drills. There's no pretty way to get out of a damn BMW while taking rounds. The key is to be doing SOMETHING, and having the fundamentals and tools on lock so that they're second nature.

A good buddy is a Godsend in a gunfight, and I got to run with several good buddies in this class and see some guys who work daily together in these situations do the same.

Thanks and Things

First and foremost, to the guys at Advantage Group/Unity Tactical for putting this whole thing on and making it run smoothly.
    Next to our instructor, who probably won't read this but gets the shout out nonetheless.
    To pntbllr228 for the use of his Aimpoint-- I hope I didn't beat it up too badly!
    To the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Department, for the use of their range and gear and all of the help they gave during the class (which was honestly a TON).
    To my fellow students, for being helpful and friendly and tolerant of a gun gamer. :rofl:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I, too, was able to participate in Carbine 1.5, and learned a wealth of things, and met some great people!

T-1 Day:

I arrived at the motel after an uneventful drive, but there was a problem with my reservation. Vanilla Gorilla is who invited me to take the course, and helped me make it possible. Obviously I called him. He handled the situation and I ended up crashing on an air-mattress at his place. HUGE! thanks! At first, I figured I was just saving some cash, but it later became apparent that it was for more awesome than that.

A SWAT officer from Lafayette was also staying at VG's house, and I happened to notice him practicing transitions to off-shoulder, etc. It was then that I began to get concerned. VG had assured me that I would be fine, and the course would not be beyond my grasp to benefit from. I have never taken a carbine course before, and my experience with "dynamic" shooting environments is limited to CoD. I have spent plenty of time at the square range on the bench, etc. but never anything involving much movement, different positions, etc.

Watching this SWAT officer effortlessly transition back and forth between support-side and strong side, I began to grow more and more uneasy about things. It occurred to me that I had the potential to be "that guy". These feelings of apprehension deepened as I saw the sheer complexity of gear that this officer had brought with him, and how it appeared to be rather utilitarian to him, and a confusing mess to me. I had brought gear that VG advised me to purchase. It was lucky it made it out of the plastic wrapper it came in.

Anyway, ego took a back seat to intellect, and I approached the officer about transitions, etc. Instead of belittling me for my lack of knowledge, I was pain-stakingly shown how to properly transition my weapon. I was shown other pertinent weapon manipulation, as well. Rolling the carbine into my work-space, properly grabbing and indexing a magazine, etc. VG was kind enough to show me how to set up my TYR gunfighter belt and mag pouches. At this point my level of apprehension had dropped from "Oh crap, what have I gotten into" to "Yes, I think this will be good."

My learning began the day before the class, and for that, a HUGE! thanks to VG, and the SWAT officer I mentioned!

DAY 1:

We began with a 50 yard zero, basic transitions at close-range targets, and went through about 800-ish rounds of ammunition in 5.56.

My zero at 50 was very solid. I am pleased because I had not verified zero with M193 or without the suppressor. I normally shoot suppressed, using MK318 SOST. It was also during this exercise that I made my first "That Guy". I perforated the target next to me. :( Fail. The other shooter was understanding and nothing came of it, and it did not happen again. Everyone there seemed about learning, not sniping at each other's ego's or trying to look "hard". I was extremely pleased with the environment I had discovered, and the people I had met so far!

The stance that VG and the SWAT officer helped me with worked GREAT! I was asked by a few shooters if I shot 3-gun (I don't). Apparently, the proper stance can take a novice to impressive levels all by itself when taught/used correctly. The recoil of my M4 was VERY manageable, and follow-up shots were accurately placed literally as fast as my trigger-finger could move, from the 7 yard line.

Also, different positions were practiced: SBU prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, and what is called "Broke Back Mountain", I suspect there is another name for it prior to the homoerotic film, but it fits. Arse in the air, face and weapon on the ground. It works great for shooting around tires and the like. Sadly, I am not someone who has any experience in this position, and so I just practiced it strong-side. I didn't think much of it, really. As long as I performed the drill, it was all gravy.

Several note-worthy things occurred on day 1 regarding equipment:

I lubricated my M4 with MPro-7 LPX before shooting the first round of the day. Another person did NOT lubricate their M4. It began having copious failures at around the 5-600 round mark and wasn't right until the BCG was broken down, cleaned, and re-lubed. It did fine for the rest of the course. I noticed that users with USGI mags were experiencing failures to feed of various kinds, while PMAG and Lancer users generally were not.

I suffered 1 failure. It occurred when I slammed a loaded mag into the weapon and dropped the bolt-release. I got a double-feed. I think maybe I snagged the top round on my mag pouch as I was removing it and slamming the mag home dislodged it the rest of the way. It never happened again.

By the end of day 1, I was confident that I fit in not only with the material being taught, but with the help of my new friends, would be able to really pull the marrow out of the course and learn a TON of new skills.

DAY 2:

I was sore and did not want to drag myself off of my air-mattress on Day 2. I hurt. Granted, I had suffered the flu and some other upper respiratory issue this month and last, and had been out of the gym for that time. Anyway, we ate at IHOP, and got to the range at around 0745 and set up. We ran through barricade drills to warm up some, and continued building on Day 1's skillset regarding positions shot around them. We competed against each other running a course, 2 shooters and RO's at a time. I really enjoyed that, even though it was more "3-gun" than what I expected, the point was to teach the various positions around cover and when and how to effectively use them. Here I am clumsily making my way through it:

Day 2 went very well, and the only equipment related failures were a Walther that was having FTF issues.

Since we had gone through so many rounds of 5.56 on day 1, we did a fair amount of pistol work on Day 2. Once again, I got some expert assistance not only from our instructor (Who is awesome, and a great teacher! It's rare to find a skilled practitioner of anything who is ALSO able to relate to students on every level! After experiencing this class, I think that Viking Tactics should be very proud to have him on their team! I was certainly pleased with the instruction!). Probably the most helpful thing I learned that day came again from the SWAT officer from Lafayette. He watched me closely, and helped out, offering pointers and telling me when I did things that could be improved upon. My grip on the pistol was the big eye-opener that day. I learned how to grip it loosely and then extend the weapon, allowing body mechanics to do what felt like welding my hands to the grip. A HUGE! help! I was able to get consistent consecutive hits on the 7-yard reduced size IPSC targets with .22-.24 split times! Not so great for many of you, but amazing for a guy who has only fired about 200 rounds of pistol in the last year!

DAY 3:

Again, we warmed up and did more barricade work. I truly don't remember if this happened on Day 2 or 3, but it was then that I made my second "That Guy". I was tasked with using the Broke Back position on my support side. No big deal, I thought. Until I tried. I began firing, the dot right over the silhouettes chest. "Bang-LOW!" "Bang-LOOOWWW!" It got worse and worse. The dot was telling me "HIT!" and the RO was screaming "LOW! RAISE YOUR WEAPON!". I never did figure out exactly what occurred, but my next run, I fixed the problem, made my hits, and moved on. I don't like that position. I think my glasses may have reflected the dot oddly or something due to my poor cheek-weld.

Anyway, on to the good stuff...the BMW.

Yes, we killed a BMW, as you have seen in pictures above. I was allowed the honor of shooting out through the driver's side window. It was the funnest thing I did in whole course, until it actually happened. If you have never shot through side-glass with a 5.56 carbine, it turns to powder. That powder explodes all over everything. And into everything. I got a few cuts, but mainly, breathing was NOT something I wanted to do. The result of the first gunshot was similar to someone slapping together their palms in front of your face filled with baby-powder.

We then, after a few other drills, got to the task of shooting through the windshield. This caused M193 to fragment and miss the target, sometimes not even reaching the berm 30 some odd yards ahead. I had brought some 64gr Gold Dot with me. This penetrated the windshield with authority, but was still grossly deflected. Moral of the story? Shoot a hole, and cram the muzzle through, if you actually want to hit the target. The same goes for pistol, except more deflection yet, and less fragmentation.

Shooting the vehicle with M193 and M855, it was apparent that even the back glass would cause fragmentation of either round. The Gold Dot went through one of the alloy rims laid on its side, and still held together enough to punch a good size hole through the tire on its way out. The window was no challenge for it, and it stayed together. I ran out before we could should it through the trunk and into the passenger compartment. M193 and M855 both badly fragmented doing this. Lesson learned? It may well ruin the occupant's day, but it may not prove immediately fatal. If you want to get into a car, either use bonded ammo, or an AK-47. The AK used was 7.62x39, and it stitched the car up very well. Much more effective. The real surprise of the day was the 1oz shotgun slug. One student fired this into the front of the driver's side door from a perfect 90* angle. One would expect the slug to either be stopped, or to punch its way out of the vehicle in-line wiht the entrance, which would have it exiting mid-way down the passenger's side door near the front of said door. It did neither. The slug left the car via the low, front portion of the REAR passenger's side door. This just goes to show that no matter WHAT you sling into a car---it's anyone's guess where it's going to go and what it's going to do. Shoot fast, shoot plenty, stitch that car up if you want to do any good, REGARDLESS of your weapon of choice.

On day 3, my carbine had fired well over 1600 rounds with no cleaning, and no extra lubricant applied to the BCG/upper. It had only 1 other failure, toward the end of the day. I rode the CH home on a reload. Obviously that didn't work and was my fault. When I got home, the bolt still fully seated when gently dry-cycling the weapon. MPro-7 LPX for the win! (Pictures below)

Also, 3 Eotechs died. A 512, an XPS, and another model. I believe all suffered from "window delamination". No other optics malfunctioned.

Over-all, this course was the single most effective training experience I have had regarding knowing how to properly employ my firearms, and I look forward to receiving more instruction from Viking Tactics and others at a later date! The instructor, other students, and Advantage Group/Unity Tactical were all some of the finest examples of hospitality that I have ever experienced! Thanks again!

Also of note, I fully expected to want to change my entire setup, and was very surprised that I like my carbine EXACTLY how I have it setup. To me, this is very rare, as I have often found that I want to change things around after using them hard, whether it be a vehicle suspension, or any other item that I interface with---with experience comes change for the better, to better suite me. However, in this case, my weapon is staying exactly how I have it:
    2155ja.jpg

34owpbd.jpg

21dq00i.jpg

2aerwhh.jpg

33tgxli.jpg

2q828v9.jpg

34pxedu.jpg

zjdnci.jpg

2j466af.jpg

4iom7s.jpg

jt40vp.jpg

Over-all, the whole course re-affirmed my opinion that the M4 is a helluva weapon, and plenty durable.

Anyway, on to clean-up...

24wx0nk.jpg

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Sounds like everyone that went had a helluva time. I need to start putting out bids for my soul so I can afford this next time you guys run it.

Also of note, I fully expected to want to change my entire setup, and was very surprised that I like my carbine EXACTLY how I have it setup. To me, this is very rare, as I have often found that I want to change things around after using them hard, whether it be a vehicle suspension, or any other item that I interface with---with experience comes change for the better, to better suite me. However, in this case, my weapon is staying exactly how I have it:

John I love how you posted that your setup is perfect a couple hours after showing off the changes you made to your handgun :mamoru:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You mean you cleaned your rifle afterwards???

I sprayed some lube through the ejection port, cycled it a dozen times, stuffed in a mag of 262, and went out drinking. :p

You did very well, and that SWAT guy you bunked with bragged on you the whole weekend-- deservedly so, IMHO.

Thanks for burning up some of that bonded GD; I for one enjoyed seeing first hand that the claims about the stuff are accurate.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You mean you cleaned your rifle afterwards???

I sprayed some lube through the ejection port, cycled it a dozen times, stuffed in a mag of 262, and went out drinking. :p

You did very well, and that SWAT guy you bunked with bragged on you the whole weekend-- deservedly so, IMHO.

Thanks for burning up some of that bonded GD; I for one enjoyed seeing first hand that the claims about the stuff are accurate.
    Thanks! I have a lot of work to do still and I know it, though. Very lucky to have met the SWAT officer. Aside from all the help, really cool guy!

As to cleaning, this may come as a surprise, but I have a touch of ocd :)

Was awesome watching you with that pistol, btw. How many rounds do those magazines hold!?

Also, you have expressed interest in the Gold Dot I was using. Here is what I know about it:

-Clocks 2500fps from an actual 10.5" SBR (my actual ammunition, 2508fps test ammo per Speer upon my inquiry)
    -2700-2750 from a 16" carbine
    -64gr
    -Shoos 1-2MOA for most people
    -Sealed/staked primers
    -Nickel plated cases
    -Un-sealed but well-crimped neck
    -BC 0.267 (class-leading for bonded bullets in this caliber)
    -Official expansion threshold "Below 1800fps" (at 1950fps, it still expands to over double caliber diameter)
    -Design parameter: Expansion at 200 yards from a 10" barrel, per ICE parameters given to SPEER
    -Market value $18/20

And...this great video shot by someone a helluva lot less awkward than me:

Now, you know what I know, and I love the round thus far! I have several people who have it in their hands after hogs and deer with it. If you want, I can update you when they rack up a few kills on game with it.

My personal belief is that the optimal velocity window for this projectile is 1900-2400fps or so, given its very aggressive expansion. I feel that at close range from a longer barrel, its expansion is a bit excessive, but it still holds together VERY well, as we all saw when I put it through a windshield, tire rim, etc. I really like that it extends the effective hunting range of an SBR to about 200-250 yards. Hope the people I sent it to get them some bacon!

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Better? Different maybe. It has a larger window and better reticle.

It's also heavier and shorter battery life. Also has a history of issues, but the xps series are much improved over the previous models.

Most of the BTDT guys use them.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Better? Different maybe. It has a larger window and better reticle.

It's also heavier and shorter battery life. Also has a history of issues, but the xps series are much improved over the previous models.

Most of the BTDT guys use them.

Somehow when the guy with the 10lbs rifle complains about the weight of an optic I just hear static.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Uh, sir, 9lbs. And that is with a 1-6x.

I was just mearly stating that an EOTech weighs 5-6 ounces more than a micro. Not complaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom