Academy Imports

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I stopped at the Academy in Kenner today. They're now importing a CZ clone from Turkey. Don't ask me the name of it, I can't pronounce it much less spell it. It looked a little rough but not too bad. They were asking around $400.
    I was just surprised to see Academy acting as the importer.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If I have the right one: SARSILMAZ HANCER 9MM
    It is only $7 cheaper than the CZ. Not that they look that much alike to me.

All the guns out of Turkey have good reviews as do the CZ.

thomasward00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2007
    Slidell, La
    That's a lot of money for an unknown import though. You could buy a sigma, ruger, or even a stripped 1911 for that price.

Agreed...

I ordered my XD9 Service model from Woodbury importers in Ohio and my gun was 420.00 shipped.. and my local gun shop charged me 15 bucks for the transfer, and remember that springfield gives the XD a lifetime warranty.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That's the one I saw. I'd be worried about parts availability down the road. If it was $250 I'd be tempted. If it was interchangeable w/ Witness or something similar I might be interested. I don't see it as a bargain, or anything unusual (better caliber, more ammo, ultra light, etc.). I just don't get the incentive to buy it over anything else.
    Considering Academy is importing these themselves they must have a fantastic profit margin on these. Why not undercut everyone else? Sell them for the same as a sigma? I'd be tempted to buy it then.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    That's a lot of money for an unknown import though. You could buy a sigma, ruger, or even a stripped 1911 for that price.

Exactly.
    I shot someones Rock Island 1911 with the little GI sights everyone complains about. 399.00 new is what the guy paid at Kenner gun show. Dollar for dollar is was a great gun & I didn't see what was wrong with the GI sights.
    There are a few companies importing guns from Turkey & think all are doing it as an exclusive.
    Isn't the Springfield XD one of those imported exclusively type of deals? I forget what country & what is is called every where else besides US.

Magic of the Web provides this:
    Manufactured in the city of Karlovac, Croatia by HS Produkt (formerly I.M. Metal), and licensed and sold in the US by Springfield Armory, Inc., the HS 2000, or XD (X-Treme Duty) series of pistols are polymer-framed, magazine-fed, striker-fired, semi-automatic handguns. The XD has become the highest selling pistol in the United States as of 2006. Its features include double-stack high-capacity magazines, an Ultra Safety Assurance (USA) Trigger System, a 1911-style grip safety, ambidextrous magazine release buttons, a loaded chamber indicator, striker status indicator, and accessory rail.

Springfield Armory offers the XD to the US market in five calibers: 9x19 mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 GAP, and .45 ACP. Six primary models are available including a Sub-Compact model with a 3" barrel, a Compact version with a 4" barrel, a Service model with a 4" barrel, a Tactical model with a 5" barrel, a Compact version with a 5" barrel, and a Ported V-10 model with a 4" barrel and upward-facing ports on the XD's slide to soften recoil and reduce muzzle rise. All six models in the XD line are available in one of four finishes: Bi-Tone, OD Green, Black, and a fourth finish called "US Mil-Spec Flat Dark Earth" (tan) has been recently released to the market.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom