ACT prep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I'm looking for some advanced ACT prep tools for my son.
    He is trying to get his ACT score up to 32, current high is 27. Waiting for the score from his last test to come in.

I came across this site - http://www.prepscholar.com/act/s/ - that for $400 will guarantee a 4 point increase.
    I'm not opposed to spending money, but I don't want to waste the cost of a new gun. :draw:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There are multiple prep courses offered at various colleges and universities. My nephew is currently going through the fun of ACT prep. He's in the same boat as your son. His test scores are mid to high 20's, but he's trying to get into the 30's.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The way I see it, it's worth the 400. Bc if he indeed gets into the 30's, you got your money's worth. But if he doesn't, then you get your 400 back

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm looking for some advanced ACT prep tools for my son.
    He is trying to get his ACT score up to 32, current high is 27. Waiting for the score from his last test to come in.

I came across this site - http://www.prepscholar.com/act/s/ - that for $400 will guarantee a 4 point increase.
    I'm not opposed to spending money, but I don't want to waste the cost of a new gun. :draw:

My daughter took 3 tests and got 28's on each. Her last test was a 32. (IIRC) Whether the test the has writing portion can make a difference. Both of my daughter are freaks of nature in English/reading/writing. The schools they attended also had prep courses. Most private high schools here do. Granted some are better than others.

They ain't took after me with that.

The $400 ain't nothing in the big scheme of things. 4 points should pay off in a $400 savings.

Last edited:

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    The way I see it, it's worth the 400. Bc if he indeed gets into the 30's, you got your money's worth. But if he doesn't, then you get your 400 back

I think it's best to look at it through this view point. My father-in-law is a professor at the LSMSA high school here in Natchitoches and he's talked about kids getting full rides based mainly on their ACT score of 32. Probably the best idea to utilize this program you were referencing and whatever programs local universities or high schools offer to your area.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Yeah a 32 gets a full ride at many schools, that why we set that as his goal.
    I told him if he gets a 32 I'll buy him a new(er) car since I won't have to spend as much on College.

I just checked and LA Tech recently updated their merit based scholarships.
    His current 27 gets him $4500 per year, 32 will get him $8500 and 33 will get him $9500.

Effective for Fall 2017-18 Incoming Freshmen
    Scholarship Name/ACT Score GPA 3.0-3.749 GPA 3.75-4.0
    Presidential: 33+ $9,000 $9,500
    Deans' Scholarship: 32 $8,000 $8,500
    Outstanding Student: 31 $6,000 $6,500
    Outstanding Student: 29-30 $5,000 $5,500
    Outstanding Student: 27-28 $4,000 $4,500
    Outstanding Student: 25-26 $3,000 $3,500
    Outstanding Student: 23-24 $2,000 $2,500
    Valedictorian Outstanding Student: 20-22 N/A $1,000

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    We were in the same boat, stuck at a 31 for 3 or so tests in a row and had suggestions from others to just read as much as possible. My son got to reading several book series and made a 33 on the next one. He seemed to think it helped him. We were told the prep courses aren't really targeted for those on the upper end but the benefit can easily outweigh the cost. Best of luck! Make sure the school gets the highest score. Once they have a couple scores on record for an individual, the system quit recording the new ones as they come in but you can call and have them manually add it.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    My son got a 32 which earned him a full ride at USM in Hattiesburg. After his sophomore year he was able to live off campus and USM paid for housing and meals. He came away from college with money in the bank. My daughter also went there with a 29. She got all out of state tuition and tuition paid for. We just paid housing and meals. Anything above a 30 opens all kinds of doors. Don't expect much from LSU as far scholarships as your child will be on Tops anyway. They recruit out of state students and give them the scholarships.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Have your child take it everytime possible. I went from mid 20's to finally a 36.

I spent hours doing practice tests that were free from the school guidance counselor's office.

It was free and helpful.

What scores does your child currently get in each area? That will help to prioritize studying.

I'll soon be helping my own child with the same prep.

Good Luck OP!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom