Actual non-trolling question about hurricane prep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I lived in Meraux most of my life, and after katrina, we found cars EVERYWHERE, Had a work van with trailer attached in mine and my neighbor's pool. Also had a Silverado sitting on top of a fence, just perfectly balanced. Also a WHOLE 2 store house, moved into the middle of the intersection. Made it look like a cul de sac.

Did you live in Lexington Place?

JR1572

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Everything posted above is a waste of time. In case of a hurricane take whatever you can fit in a grocery bag and head to either the Superdome or the convention center.

Sent from Bayou Bunker Command Center, FEMA Region 6, Portable Unit #33.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But that's completely different. The OP wants to know about hurricane plans. None of us, sad to say; are going to be completely prepared if a cloud of poisonous gas or radiation is heading our way.
    I know from experience. I was young but I still remember the livingston train derailment.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    One unexpected thing I learned from Katrina, have a national credit card. My credit card was issued from my work credit union in New Orleans. When the credit union computers went down, my credit card became useless. Thus, I lost access to money. My wife had to make a round trip to Baton Rouge to a branch location of a bank in which we had a secondary account. At the time Katrina hit, I was out on sick leave pending back surgery. I was incapable of a multi-hours long evacuation. We rode out Katrina at my wife's office location which was more secure than our home since we were expecting to be flooded.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    ---AN EXERCISE IN FATALITY---
    With all due respect to those trying to be helpful, an ATTIC IS THE LAST PLACE TO GO!!! As a retired public safety officer (who was working during Katrina) I can tell you anyone who advises refuge in an attic has never done it. Most who did it during Katrina are not around to talk about it. The lion's share of our RECOVERIES (not rescues), took place in attic refuge cases.
    THINK ABOUT WHAT IS BEING SUGGESTED FOR A MINUTE... This is "The Diary of Anne Frank meets The Poseidon Adventure" and it is sure to end equally badly.
    One of the evolutions for Fire Department Recruits is to breach a roof using a fire axe, mainly to give them an appreciation of their power tools, (encourages them to check and maintain saws after they have their asses handed to them fighting to breach a roof with an axe/ hand tools). It is usually a 10-15 minute task for a 21 year old male in peak physical condition with a fresh start standing on top of a roof, swinging downward with a well maintained fire axe into modern asphalt shingles over OSB decking. Got the image? These kids are work horses, not show horses. They are conditioned for endurance, not hanging around a gym flexing for a camera. Are you in the same condition? I know I am not anymore.
    Now picture this: The 40-50 something year old exhausted after ushering people and possessions into an attic in extreme heat is going to take their grandfather's axe or hatchet, even brand new, and swing this cutting tool OVERHEAD into the 1x4, 1x6, or plywood that was meant to withstand hurricane winds without coming off, all the while holding a flashlight because the power is out and there is NO ambient light in an attic and breach a roof with a large enough opening for an adult to pass through before tiring out or flood waters drowning like trapped rats?!? And that is ideal circumstances. Picture reality: having to wade through water to get to attic (ever walk upright through a swimming pool? not too efficient, is it?) When was your last meal? Was your roof built on the 60's -70's, using green 1x6 decking? Slate roof?
    A chainsaw, you say? Breaching your exit hole before 2 cycle exhaust become an issue is unlikely. to say nothing of the fact that starting this saw in the dark is a real feat. Don't forget, internal combustion engines run on oxygenated air, just like you and me. Nevermind that Fire Department chainsaw blades are specialty items to prevent gumming up after touching the roofs felt paper/ tar. After one pass a commercial blade has gummed past efficiency.
    Pop out a penetration in a roof? About the only roof penetration large enough to fit through is a power ventilator, more and more homes forego them in place of wind driven turbines. Remember, that power ventilator is hardwired AND meant to withstand hurricane winds, IE it is well anchored. Are you feeling strong?
    I am not trying to discredit helpful suggestions from fellow members. However, I don't want to repeat Katrina, especially when it is avoidable. If one person reads this and heeds it then my job is done. With hurricane season upon us, we should post lessons learned the hard way so that others do not have to repeat them. Some of our members were small children during Andrew, Georges, & Katrina.
    Perhaps I can get off my arse and publish some simple hurricane/survival tips based on real world experiences, such as wheeled vehicles becoming useless.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Please message me if I can help with anything related to this; I have a boatload of data on the subject.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Enigmedic is right. Don't go to attic. That's a death sentence. Think a twelve gauge will get you out? You watch too many TV shows and movies. I'm not trying to be ugly. Most of the people sent to the DMORT after Katrina were pulled out of attics.

The DMORT is where bodies were sent to be identified and claimed after wards.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Enigmedic is right. Don't go to attic. That's a death sentence. Think a twelve gauge will get you out? You watch too many TV shows and movies. I'm not trying to be ugly. Most of the people sent to the DMORT after Katrina were pulled out of attics.

Dave

Can you imagine how hot it was in some of those attics the day after Katrina? :flamed: Hell, if you had some brine and some spices, you could have smoked a Boston Butt up there.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Guess door breaching using a shotgun is something only seen on T.V. ?

You may be correct, However its been done and chances are on the WEST side of the state people will continue too blow the roof out if necessary.

Hell, I will in a New York minute, Don't underestimate all of your options.

Dave

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Guess door breaching using a shotgun is something only seen on T.V. ?

You may be correct, However its been done and chances are on the WEST side of the state people will continue too blow the roof out if necessary.

Hell, I will in a New York minute, Don't underestimate all of your options.

Older houses in New Orleans with slate roofs are built like forts. Some of those old shotgun style houses had/have 1x4's under those slate tiles. Not cheap 1/4 inch plywood like newer homes.

You'd need a few extra shells! ;)

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I had one built in the 30's with slate and toured another one off Royal that I was considering buying as a rental property, It came complete with bullet holes in the slate Thanks' to the locals shooting in the air, Slate looks cool however they will crack and break up

Older houses in New Orleans with slate roofs are built like forts. Some of those old shotgun style houses had/have 1x4's under those slate tiles. Not cheap 1/4 inch plywood like newer homes.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Door breaching and shooting hole after hole, in a straight line, through a roof while inside an attic, that's dark, and rapidly filling up with water are two entirely different things. Oh and I would imagine that the shot wouldn't have enough range to spread much. So if you're lucky you get a what, two inch hole every time? I don't know how big you are. But I'd need more than one box of shells.

Dave

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Door breaching is easy with a SG, take the lock out, and you have a 28/68 splinter free hole to walk through! Blasting a clean hole through osb is a case of shells I'd bet, still might get some splinters! Lol

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You got that right!
    I've shot a 3'' diameter pine tree in half at close quarters with #6, Plenty of splinter's...But it came down with one shell.

Door breaching is easy with a SG, take the lock out, and you have a 28/68 splinter free hole to walk through! Blasting a clean hole through osb is a case of shells I'd bet, still might get some splinters! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom